1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hangover Cures

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by the god, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's a complicated issue, from recent experience with my Feuerzangenbowle I suggest a 3-Step approach:

When the sheer sight or scent of food makes you wanna puke and your head punishes you for every quick move, you have to cure yourself carefully:

1-Take a glass of the splendid (can't stop to praise it) Dr. Harris The original Pick-me-Up -, one spoonful in a whineglass, (tastes a little bit like coke). It helps to calm down your tortured stomach (in approx 10 min), you have to eat something to be able to take the aspririn later ...
    Some people take Alker Selzer for that purpose, anyway ...

2-After enabling yourself to eat a little, try light food, a sour cucumber, a slice of bred with cheese, anything. If you don't you'll likely throw up the pill right after taking it.

3-Aspirin to fight the headache, then drink a lot of water since you're still dehydrated.

Now you're even able to make a walk outside in the fresh air and to even survive direct exposure of your eyes to sunlight.

And anyway, my tip is: Eat well and fat before you start some serious drinking, cheeseburgers, pizzas, fried potatoes with baked cheese - heavy food for heavy work. Rehydrating before going to bed helps a lot too - however - you have to be sober enough to remember that when you go to bed ;)

[ November 18, 2002, 13:08: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Stay intoxicated forever,
    Please don't call me an alcoholic :1eye:

PS;
    Good post Ejsmith. But if anyone takes up on his word be carefull with demineralized water. the osmotic and biological consequences are dangerous! It is actually imperitive that you eat a mineral tablet when drinking demineralized water
    But then it gets mixed up in the stomach and mix into approximated tap water. Dilemma heh.
    Conclusion just drink bottle water. And a vitamin pill, and some soup to give the stomach some easy work.

If it is a wannabee hangover go for McDonalds or burger king.

[ November 18, 2002, 16:42: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @MoN
    Lol

Brainfreeze, coffee or placebos(sp) both work very well for me. (You absolutley dont wanna know what those placebos were)

[ November 18, 2002, 16:50: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

4. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

a friend of mine did a degree in biology or chemistry or some combination of the two. She did an experiment or read some book or something that said that taking some painkillers while having alcohol in the blood actually damages your liver more than the alcohol. Don't know what truth there is in it.

I generally dont get hangovers unless i get savagely wasted. (last bad one was a few shots of JD, couple of glasses of champagne and about a bottle and a half of red table wine at a ball. Don't normally drink wine but it was free. Didnt vom but had a major case of looking grey/green the next day and had to travel on the train for 4 hours. Nice).

Large amounts of greasy food normally work for me, and lots of squash (water tastes grosse when hungover).

5. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. I pity you sorry, alcohol-reliant fools. Ho ho, yes I do.

:D :bigeyes:

6. Morgoth

Media:
    @Yerril

It looks like youre going to have a hangover tomorrow morning :)

7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Hmmm...one I use all the time:
    - One glass of Tesco Value Orange Juice
    (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....)
    - Two slices of Toast.
    - A plate of Water Biscuits.

It works every time.
    :)

8. Dhirngulin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Enduce Vomiting!!! YAY!!!! :D
    Not very original though perhaps effective...

9. Morgoth

Media:
    Should have seen my dads face when I "enduced vomiting" all over the freaking stairs

"Dad, I dont feel well, I prob drank a bacardi too much, well I´m going to bed...... Oh yeah by the way the stairs might be somewhat slippery, erm, I think the dog puked all over the stairs"

[ November 18, 2002, 22:13: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Must be a big dog then! Probably called 'Morgoth'.
    :evil: ;) :D

You can reduce the alcohol in your blood, and prevent or 'soften' the hangover by sticking your fingers in your throat the night before, after you drank too much.

Not a very pleasant thing to do, But having a headache all day long isn't very appealing, either.

Imagine: Doing your best drinking all night and then spoiling your trofee on the floor!

11. JC Denton Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Drink more beers thats help alot! :D

12. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Have to agree with Bel. Gatorade does the trick every time. Rehydrates you and is full of electrolytes. Doesn't taste wonderful but, then, what does taste good when you've got a bad case of the 40oz flu?

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, Gadeorade would be good for the potassium and sodium levels.

But it's got all that sugar. Just to cover up the taste. Which blows it all to hell.

You can buy jugs of Pediolyte in the supermarkets, but it's cheaper to by a bottle of potassium gluconate and some distilled water.

But, and I forgot to mention this, you will be peeing like crazy that first hour. It will be completely clear.

But it knocks out all the effects, even the sensitivity to light.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

14. Morgoth

Media:
    No MoN, I called him Matthijs, since he smells like you during his bad days.

j/k ;) :grin:

15. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] You all know nothing.

There are hangovers and HANGOVERS. I am a Russian - so beleive me I know what I am talking about.

A few things to say:

1) The best way to cure a hangover is to avoid one. The key to that is drinking pure alcohol - DO NOT mix it - coctails (sp?) are the worst.

2) Always increase the strength of alcohol as you advance into the party - half gallon of beer - a bottle of Gin+Tonic - a bottle of Vodka -> you would be dead drunk, but the next morning you will feel fine.

3) All above is for a hangover. For a HANGOVER - you need to use one of the following:
    a) Non-sugar - non-fruit - non-fat yogurt
    b) 2 liters of water + pepper + lemon juice + salt, put some garlic in it, leave for 1-2 hours in a warm place, then cool in a fridge, drink when necessary.

4) TO experience a HANGOVER try the following:
    a) "Climb the Everest" - take a 1/2 liter glass, fill with beer, drink half, add vodka until full, drink half, repeat until you don't taste beer anymore.
    b) if that is not enough, "Descend the Everest" - drink half, add beer, drink half, proceed until you don't taste vodka.

For weak drinkers reduce the size of a glass.

Have fun!

P.S. I stopped drinking 4 years ago at the age of 21 :) . I drank worst at the ages from 18 to 20.

16. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

H2O and sleep, because it takes a full 20 hours for alcohol to be completely *out* of the body.

Teeny
    (I don't drink, tee hee)

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Hangover cure? Make that a pre-emptive strike; stay drunk :D

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'Drink pure alcohol'?
    Liquid pressed?
    LPA?
    ;)

19. Mauricio Eiji Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

A cold bath and a shot of whiskey. Always did me good.

20. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I've yet to have a hangover, so this is mostly second hand info.
    Hangovers are mailny dehydration, so the best cure is water. Now, every time I've been out drinking, I always have a large glass of water before passing out, so maybe that's why I don't get hangovers. Works for me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.