1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite punk band?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] well i have a question for the canadian person ( sorry i can't remember your name! ) are AC/DC still really big there? cos when I was there they were THE thing to listen to

2. Inappropriate Synonym Banned

no bigger then any other band from that time era, maybe with the exception of ozzy osbourne and black sabbath

3. Mirkwood Guest

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the Dead Kennedy's!...

Buzzbomb from Pasadena

Buzzbomb buzzbomb macho-mobile
    The road's my slave, that's how I feel
    I cruise alone, I cruise real far
    Shoo young punk! I love my car

Cross Nevada at a 110
    Highway 50 and there's nobody there
    Sign says, 'Next sign 30 miles!':

My pension comes-
    Each penny saved buys more escape from home
    I'd rather carouse around all day
    Than move into a home

Plow through rest area San-o-Lets
    Splat goes the lonely salesman
    Still wanking in the men's room:

Buzzbomb buzzbomb tape up loud
    Lawrence Welk cranked up to 10
    Faster faster in my car

Buzzbomb is my pride and joy
    King of the trailer court
    Waiting for a nice young man
    Who'll love me for my car

Who tells me why I'm cool
    Tells me just what I like
    When I pretend he's here

Shred through Palm Springs across the golf course
    Cops 'round here scratching their heads
    Flashing sirens, State patrol:uh oh

They're scuffing up the side of my car
    They're shooting out my tires
    This ain't no way to go to heaven
    Buzzbomb cornered at the 7-11

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Bad Religion anyone?

Regarding the US/Ramones vs. Uk/Sex Pistols thing I liked the way the movie "SLC Punk" dealt with it. If you haven't seen the movie I'd definitely recommend it.

5. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Straight to hell has the Ramones in it. An intersesting movie. Courtney love is in it.

"YOU ALL SUCK"!!!!!!!!!!! JR.

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Man, this kind of argument on wether bands like Blink 182 are pop, punk, pop punk crap is just boring and a whole load of shit!

There are now two different types of punk. Old school and new school punk. How do i know? because i am also on a tab website which discusses such issues. There, evidence stated. Now in case some fucks think i'm talking bull then you will be pleased to know that the website has more then 10,000 members.

Anyway, as for Blink 182 and Sum 41, they fall into the New School Punk catergory. They are not of Old school but contain influences from them and have become what is now known as New school Punk. And no, New School punk is not pop punk and no bands like Papa Roach and Linkin Park are not Punk either. They are Nu Metal.

Anyway, for favourite punk bands, My favourite bands are Blink 182, The Offspring & Sum 41

EDIT:
    And before some wanker goes ape shit on me, yes i do like the Sex Pistols and the Clash.

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited November 04, 2001).]

7. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Oh yah and my favs are Sham 69, The Clash and Misfits (who are from the US).

8. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well since the topic is favorate punk bands...here are some of mine:

The Sex Pistols
    GBH
    Minor Threat
    Black Flag
    DOA
    Dead Kennedys
    The Faction
    Agent Orange
    TSOL
    Youth Brigade

9. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

bad religion
    nofx
    pennywise
    sex pistols
    noise conspiracy
    dead kennedies
    clash
    goldfinger (yes i do realize this is ska, but they can be pretty punkish, and frankly i just like 'em ;) )
    the ramones

[This message has been edited by Azirath (edited November 04, 2001).]

10. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Rancid all the way

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Punk is cool party-music but I never would listen to it at home.... it sounds all the same and is a bit boring in my opinion.. I prefer Melodic Metal!

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] When you say melodic i hope you mean stuff like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, System of a down and not thrash metal ...

13. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Thank you LIandon for putting the topic back were it should be.

14. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

blink 182 and sum 41 both suck

sex pistols, the romones,at the drive in, green day,no fx

my cd case is half punk rock half metal so punk rock is half my life

[This message has been edited by Dark Xan (edited November 09, 2001).]

15. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

* Nirvana *
    They were punk y'know.

Blink & Sum41 are too happy. When was punk ever happy?

Oh and Kill kill kill kill kill the poor.

16. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

nirvana punk?
    ...........right
    anyway yeah good point. when was punk ever happy?

17. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Yeah, Nirvana had very strong punk connections. By the way,is punk an attitude, a mentality or "only" a music style?

18. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Good question, I don't think it's a musical style really because then we would have to call lots of rank popsters "punk" instead of "punky". An attitude would be more correct, methinks, but not one that could be affected (sum41), more like the attitude of the disaffected. One could reason that gangster rap "is" punk now.

The bassist from Nirvana, Krist Novoselic, is currently playing in a punk band I heard.

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Gangster rap punk? ... ... ... nope, punk definitly is a form of music mixed with attitude ... punk and punk rock is kewl ahile gangster rap is just shit

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As someone who remembers the Punk style of the late 70's I have to say it is difficult to relate the word "Punk" to todays bands and followers.

Punk was about rebellion, anarchy, being different and not giving a sh*t if society liked it, (I mean really not giving a sh*t - rioting, large scale fights with police etc.), that sort of thing.

These days, a neatly turned out stud through your nose and a ring in the eyebrow seems about the limit. Those used to be rusty safety pins and nails...... That to me is the difference. Today it's sanitised and mainstream I'm afraid, totally the inverse of what Punk used to be about. Not that I'm glorifying the old punk movement at all, it's just that I think the underlying attitude of the times was what made punk what it was then, and as times move on, that cannot be recreated. Not that it should.

Still I like and listen to the Clash, The Stranglers and The Damned and think of it as rock, but to be honest for me Punk music was the Sex Pistols and their time has gone. Although "God save the queen", "Anarchy in the UK", "Pretty Vacant" all still sound good occasionally.....

[This message has been edited by Viking (edited November 13, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.