1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crom Faeyr

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by nior, Apr 11, 2002.

1. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A reason why I haven't used Crom with most of my chars is that I normaly have Anomen or Viconia, wich are very good with the Hammer of Thunderbolts. The Girlde of Frost Giant Strength is VERY powerful, and I usally wear it myself. Also the Gauntlets of Ogre Power are very powerful. Viconia with the Gauntlets and the Sling of Arvoreen cause dmg. Also Anomen with the Girlde and Thunderbolt.
    The reason IMO why Crom is so "owerpowered" is that you have to give up VERY good items to get it. That's why I only usally use it when I solo. The Items are just too good to have in a full party.

Personaly I think that the Carsomyr is a little to owerpowered. You only have to kill Firkraag wich isn't hard. And you - atleast I would - do it anyway, no matter of the Carsomyr. Carsomyr's ability of Dispel Magic is totaly "mage-slaying". All to easy. Like if he would cast Breach each hit. Irenicus is way to easy if you use Carsomyr. Can aslo be upgraded to +6 wich is a little to much for my taste.
    This of course IMO.

The Celestial Fury is quite hard to get hand of if you are soloing. Atleast my Kensai/Mage lvl 13/15 had some problems. Big problems. Used a Katana+3 and Dak'kon's Zerth Blade. Though it's not so very hard if you are "partying". But hey, what game would it be without good magical items? And there is almost no other good magical katanas other then Celestial Fury. The best Katanas I've ever found is Celestial, Dak'kon's Zerth and Katana +3. Highest enchantments is - atleast wut I've ever found - +3. All others I've found atleast +4.

Then I must mention the Silver Sword... Killed Nizmandryy'it (or however it's spelled), with Minsc hitting with Silver Sword in one round. Slays everything with it's special ability. Silver Sword is an very underestimated weapon. Killed Sarevok with one hit in Hell.

I know ppl will disagree to this, but as I see it, it's not cheating to use good items wich you get quite late in the game. Atleast when I play I normaly just have the different Forests and Bodhi to kill. Sometimes the Unseeing Eye to.
    So finally I can only say: Use Crom, Carsomyr, Silver Sword and Celestial Fury if you feel for it. It's not cheating in anyway.

Cheers.

2. Kuja Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] i don't know what you guys are yappin about. the crom is a very good weapon and so is the holy avenger. they were put in the game to be used. if u don't wanna use it, thats your problem. dont bitch about the weapon. you call people who use them stupid. i suppose having a good weapon and not using it is the mark of a genius. your even more stupid than the people you bitch about. think your cool just because you don't use super weapons. thats really sad. if you find the game so easy, just turn up the difficulty and take shitty characters. iam sure you'll enjoy playing the game that way "cool guys".

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The point is that the str-25 of the Crom is a permanent item effect when you equip it - unlike cleric combat boosting spells Crom's str-25 cannot be dispelled - and the additional +5 damage compared to str-21 with the girdle of frostgiant strength also make a difference ... especially @ four attacks per round ... :nolike:

IMO that takes pretty much challenge out of the game and fights are too short that way - so it's not at all a question of beeing cool, just a question of how you prefer to play your game. Anyway, everybody is his own DM in BG-2 ...

IMO it's not that Crom ruins ones (or my) game experience, it just reduces difficulty while wasting valuable strength enhancers that are better invested in other party members ... some good reasons to dislike Crom ... :borg:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 12, 2002).]

4. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

I'm currently playing a Stalker with Short Swords... pretty hard, I tell you, but it's very fun. I mean, not even an BG2 veteran as myself could make a solo with that char.
    The point is that the game can be fun both with as you say "overpowered" weapons, or without. I recently finished a solo game with my Kensai/Mage and he dual-wielded Crom and Celestial; and that was also fun. So the game can be fun - for me atleast - with both übersoldats:grin: or with "lesser beings".

Cheers.

5. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It still remains a choice for the gamer to make. I soloed, and didnt use Crom. So what?

IMO, Carsomyr is even worse as alot of players out there are paladins :(. Sigh. But that is like saying you cant play a Monk.

But, arf, this is SoA forum, nm. Gone argument :D

Anyway, if a player wants a challenge, he'll just put restrictions on himself :). You decide what game you play after all.

6. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Personaly I think some battles are hard enough with the really good weapons;
    Silver Sword.
    Carsomyr.
    Crom Faeyr.
    Celestial Fury.
    Oh, well, back to my Stalker.

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Judging from the contents of your various posts, spetz, you've got about seventeen different games going at present.

8. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Gonzago - Yup, playing alot of different chars right now. An Avenger, Kensai/Mage(ToB), Stalker and Necromancer :D.

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Nior, what is your party like? And why would you drop two people out of your party if you decide to pick Crom? It's not like you can't have group members without stat boosting equipment :p

Anyway, Crom turns Anomen from a fair front line supporter to a good one. (Talking front line supporter here, ignoring his spells for the time being. Just imagine they've run out or you're fighting golems.)

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

volar b.,

what is my party like?

my pc is a fighter/thief, and i'm gearing her up to use daggers only, specifically, bonedagger, firetooth and pixie prick (i just love the first two weapons). i put some points in single weapon, two-weapon, and sword and shield styles (so she's quite versatile with the daggers). my other members are never really permanent yet. i'm trying to do as much sub-quest as possible. i'm only taking npc which i think would be suitable to a particular sub-quest. i have yet to finish bg2 (and have not yet seen crom for that matter), and i like to see which npc would be going with me. it's sort of like collect and select at the same time building them up. my style in choosing npc includes thier skills, their dialogues, their contribution to the party, and whether i enjoy using them. oh! i almost forgot, it's a neutral/good party, so i don't take evil npc, except for korgan for his book quest. wow! that dwarf is really a great fighter, if not for his alignment, he would have been a permanent member of my party. too bad. my idea of my permanent party would consist have a mage, a cleric, a thief, and a couple of fighter. but that can change too.

why trim my party to four? good question.

well, first, let's say that for me controlling six chars is not exactly a walk in the park (at this point though). during my collect and select adventure i sort of use only 3 to 4 members in order to level them up faster, i have xcap deactivated :). and i got used to it. second, i sometimes like to impose personal rules for the games i play (remember korgan and his alignment). and for this case, i semi-agree that crom is very powerful, so i plan to make 2 games (saved just before forging crom), one with crom and 4 chars, and one without crom and 6 chars. i don't have a paladin either. i set keldorn free, and i intend to keep that promise (so no holy avenger for my group, although i kind'a forgot that only a paladin can use carsomyr, but too late, keldorn is alredy free). i did mention anomen (well my pc is female, and i don't have romance-based mods, so he's the only romantic npc for her). third, if you go back to "my permanent party", 3-4 chars is already possible.

there is nothing really special about my reasons (regarding 4 chars), the idea just came to me and i just wanted to try it. some of you might even think it's stupid. but hey, you and i, and the rest of the people here have read a lot of stupid questions and answers in this forum, and probably just as much good and wierd ones too. so please tell me that i'm right about the "stupid, good, and wierd stuff" :).

[This message has been edited by nior (edited April 15, 2002).]

11. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A lot of stupid questions and answers in these forums? You have no idea... :rolleyes:

I don't think modifying the party size is stupid (Unless raising it above six, which is cheating, or soloing which I just find utterly boring.), but having only four members will make it harder on yourself. And if you only have four, you don't need as much strength-raising equipment, so I say take the Crom and turn one of your clerics into a fairly good fighter or one of your fighters even better.

12. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

First time I completed the game I used whatever I could lay my hands on. The challenge was to beat the game. I did regret making Crom because of the items I lost, not because I thought it made it too easy.

Now I'm playing to explore different tactics, making the game challenging by imposing my own restrictions and perhaps attempting to roleplay more. Since I know whats coming there are no surprises, but I'm still having fun!

I've not yet and I'm not likely to ever pick a pally tho' so I can't compare the two main culprits, but my overall opinion is that a party gets better benefit by using the items individually, rather than forging Crom.

My 2p's worth.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.