1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Idea, Bad Idea: Living With Your Close Friends?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Vandalore, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Do you think living with your close friends is a good idea or a bad idea?

Good friend to be around, but not good to live with? Sharing an icecream sundae okay, sharing a room not okay. What are your views on moving in with a really close friend?

2. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very bad idea. Very.

Don't do it. Please. I'm begging you... :D I've tried 3 times (you'd think I'd learn after 2) to live with people who were extremely close friends. It doesn't work (most of the time - there are exceptions to every rule). Luckily for me, we managed to hang on to our friendship but it took a long time to get it back on track.

Mithrilhammer

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I lived with 4 of my friends from ungrad right after we graduated. We had a lot of fun for the most part, we hung out together, had parties, all that good stuff.

The only times we had any tension was around cleaning the apartment (but we were 4 bachelors aged 21-25 after all), and paying last expenses when our lease was up. Otherwise, it was a blast!

I've bought a house since then and live alone...I've thought about getting a roommate to share expenses, but I kind of like the privacy. If I brought someone in, it would either be a strictly business relationship or someone I was seriously involved with.

I guess that was the long answer...Short is, it was fun to live with good friends, but it is also a bit of a strain, especially when you begin to learn about everyone's quirky little habits...But that's the same with anyone you live with. :D

4. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Two guys I met first quarter all ended up moving in with. I was a little uneasy about the whole thing. In the past, I have always tried to avoid hanging out in groups of three or any odd number because it seems like someone always gets left out no matter how hard I try to include them. That was my biggest fear about moving in with two other people, but we've been living together for almost a year and a half now. One of the guys, Roommate A, plays IWD, hates confrontation and has a social life like me. I haven't ever been pissed off at him for anything over the past year. However, the other guy, Roommate B, isn't into video games, only cares about his gf who lives two doors down from us, has no friends here, he's the type that would rat you out in a second if he felt threatened, is very antisocial, and I can sense that he and I annoy the crap out of each other quite frequently.

My dilemma: We are getting kicked out of our apartment due to rennovations on the East side of the building. Instead of being forced to move to the West side and get stuck in a small room with 3 other people (6 in a room), we decided to move off campus. My roommates were going to gone this weekend and I offered to pick up an Apartment Blue Book and look at them so we could all look at them TOGETHER. But as soon as I got off work, they had already found four different places. Most of them had swimming pools, tennis courts, and all that crap which we didn't need to be paying for as college kids. Also, they have already decided what part of town we are going to live, what they are going to name 'our' cat, what they're going to do with the spare bedroom, and who's going to sleep where. I'm a little bit ticked off right now. I don't want to live with Roommate B. He annoys the fluck out of me. True, he will be moving out with his girlfriend (or kicking me and Roommate A out), but I don't know what to do because I won't be able to move in with Roommate A without living with Roommate B. Roommate A hates confrontation so he's going to be with Roommate B. My friend C has asked me to move in with him, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be a good idea. Our friendship would change and we probably would go after each others throats. What should I do?

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, it worked for me when I did it. But it could easily go either way. Don't do it unless you can handle a lot of annoying stuff from others, because believe me, it will happen. But for the most part, I'm easy going, so I didn't have a problem living with my best friend from high school for a year. It's different living with someone who you've only known for a short while, as I've done that too, but it worked out pretty well. It's just you learn a lot more about the person in that situation later as opposed to knowing it before you move in.

6. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i shared a dorm with my friend in college for 6 years! it ws the BEST! we had parties, played D&D and computer all the time, and just plain hung out, in fact, we still do, he lives a few blocks down, and we work at the same job! been friends with him for 10 years now!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.