1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG full-installation question

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] OK, I had installed BG rather hastily, and my memory is blurry, thanks to my heart racing so fast during the installation, but I suspect I did not make quite a 'full' installation.

I think I chose the reccomended installation, it said it required 500 MB and all. But it installed only from CD1, and that was it.

Now when I travel to a new area, it frequently asks for a CD swap, and needless to say, it is annoying. IS there a way to make a real FULL installation like in BG2, to avoid CD-swapping all the time? Just how? Or is it supposed to be played like this allways? Like PST? (it is annoying in that game too!)

Is there a way to upgrade my current installation, or do I have to uninstall (nooo!) my game and re-install? In this case, I hope my old save games will still be usable when I reinstal? I had no mods, only the official patch.

I do not have ToTSC, if this matters.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance!

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

You just have to take a copy (AFAIK) of your savegame, and then uninstall everything remembering wich mods you used. Make a custom installation and choose everything to be installed. Then install mods again and lastly put your copied savegame in the right place. I think this shoulds do it.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So, I can full-install with custom installation. Then I will not have to swap CDs ever again, right? I will do it then, thanks!

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Yes, a full install requires only that you have the one CD to prove you own the game, and you never have to switch CDs again.

5. Shaitan

Yes you shouldn't have to change CDs anymore. Good luck!

Edit: He! Just beaten :shake:

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Thanks again! :) How I missed this right at the start, beats me. I was just SOOO excited!

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    With how old my cd's are I worry about one of them becoming unusable. I really don't want to buy another set -- so I just look around on the internet and find a 'fix' that allows me not to use any cd after the full install....

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Umm, I think it may be illegal, but my friend has found a 'fix' to run BG2 without CD. I am sure you can find it for BG1 as well, if you look VERY hard. Or maybe use virtual CD programs? I never get the hang of these though. Sorry I can not be of much help!

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, no-CD cracks are illegal, hence you won't find them on SP.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I told my friend so, but he never seems to care. Who will sue him anyway? This is sad.

11. Shaitan

well you may be able to make a copy of your cd's...

12. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The old BG1 cd's have no copy protections so you can make direct copies of them with any cd recording program.

Also, if you do not want to reinstall you can also copy the cd's onto harddrive and just edit the baldur.ini to refer t the new correct path instead of doing reinstall and then making one humongous install folder. I know most prefer to have full install, personally i prefer this method, as it allows me to delete 2gb of cd's without removing game w/mods and savegames etc that only takes 500mb. And i can always just copy them back in later again. This works in all effects just like a full install, in that you only need to have a cd i the cdrom to start the game.

Alternativelly, the new DVD version got cd1-5 on a single DVD, and only the expantion pack on a separate dvd. not a bad buy for the price, 10-15 euro or something ?

13. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Not sure if I should start a new thread with with this problem, but it fits the topic.
    Trying to do a full re-install of BG1 and I get to CD5 and Microsoft throws a fit (over and over). Is it possible to do a custom install 1 CD at a time and have it come out working?

Win XP SP2, all updates

14. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I hate to say it, but it sounds like one of your CD's may be damaged.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have a way of fixing CDs... It works like a charm..

Rub deoderent (this is a wax) on the back of the cd. Use a soft cloth or tissue and rub gently until the white residue is off the back of the cd. The CD should now work like new.

I have been using this trick on all my music CD I thought were permentally damage and surprisingly they are all working great and no skipping. The same holds true for 2 of my PS2 games.

16. starwalker Gems: 16/31

The DVD version believe it or not has been out as long as the CD version. That's what I bought origionally and then had to buy the CD version. It's just becoming a more popular format now.

I'm not sure about the newer ones for sale but mine is old enough that there are differences in some of the maps that the long time players would surely notice even though they don't affect the game play.

17. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The point it cr*** out is at the moment it's supposed to ask for CD1 and begin the intro movies. At the moment, BG1 is running and has been overwritten with BG Trilogy (Weidu). Everything is going well as I am in Beregost. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have added Harder BG1 patch since I'm mowing through everything as a Druidic Sorc.

18. starwalker Gems: 16/31

The Druidic Sorcerer kit was a bit overpowered from what I remember of silverstar testing it. Though if you want to know more about that or BG Trilogy you should probably look or ask around in the BGII/ToB forums.

19. Tartantyco Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

-I got Baldur's Gate the moment it came out, the third game I ever bought(First one was Settlers II, second was AoE I think), that copy wore out three years ago. I immediately got another copy and recently bought the Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition which means I have three copies of the game. With the two cd copies I had to switch CD's when entering certain areas when I first went there, but not afterwards(Probably ran from the cache afterwards) and I haven't used the DVD copy yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.