1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What monsters you all hate most, why?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

2. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Just a little observation on Battle Horrors, if your mage is at a level where the Chromatic Orb spell has the stun if save is failed affect, the Chromatic Orb spell will turn them into fish in a barrel so to speak.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

tbh wyverns kick my ass....Poison always seems to hit me the second I run out of spells/potions

4. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Golems, the hamadryad and sirines. Oh and especially Xvarts.

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sirines without a doubt. I have killed of more party members going against them. I don't like gibberlings and kobalds, they swarm around and are a pain in the butt.

Of course Basilisks have cost me a pretty penny. I often take my NPC tank and load him up with mirrored eyes potions and send him in to kick butt, but they are quite pricey.

6. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Ohh I forgot about that thingy. She's so awfull - wicked, wicked

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Sirines and Battle Horrors. If I remember correctly, that house where you get the Helm of Balduran quest is full of Battle Horrors and Invisible Stalkers. That's a tough battle.

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I agree.

Sirines I really hate, but Degrodels house in the Helm of Balduran quest is one of the toughest battles for me.

Those Battle Horrors, Invisible Stalkers and Doom Guards really keeps me on my toe.

On the other hand so does the Black Talon Elites in Larswood from time to time. Sometimes they spawn a group of ten or more. And those Fire Arrows, ouch.

The Kobold Commandos in the Firewine Ruins, and the constant respawning is annoying too.

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Theres a quest for the helm of Balduran?!?! I normally just enter the Helm and Cloak inn (or whatever it is called) flog the helm, beat the crap out of the Maulers of Undermountain with the Merry Fools and then I'm on my way.

10. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Well, yes there is.

It is initiated in NW section of Baldurs Gate when you go into Degrodels House.

After you have gotten rid of his guards, he offer you a job, which is of course to find the Helm of Balduran for him.

I won't spoil it more for you, except point out that you get more of a hint where you can find the Cloak of Balduran also.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    When unprepared, it would have to be Greater Basilisks. For low level parties, Sirines are a real pain to get rid off. I've tended to find Battle Horrors tolerable except in Degrodel's house. When in confined spaces those things can be absolutely lethal.

12. hahahaguy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Basilisks are big bags of exp once you have protection from petrification. Let a tank with haste and protection from petrification run wild and kill all the Basilisks. (after killing the party in the middle)

As for sirenes my computer don't have any bugs when charming using algernon's cloak agains charmed creatures so not much problem except for their arrows.

Kobolds are annoying, imagine 1 arrows at an unsuspecting bhaalspawn and saving Sarevok from death.

Iron throne merceneries are irritating too.Your mages need to memorise their spells after those upper floors and most of the time one big group of merceneries will appear,making it very hard to rest peacefully.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

The first time I faced a bunch of carrion crawlers I got slaughtereddddddddd :( One small paralyzation attack and then my party was finished..

Same with basilisks, nasty little things aren't they.

Sirines didn't bother me too much, quite an enjoyable fight actually.

I think the most annoying thing out there would have to be the mustard jelly though. Usually I encounter one when my party is at a low level, and the slimey thing has ALOT of resistance which is annoying. PLUS it slows you down. Even worse when there's two..

But the worst thing isn't necessarily a monster itself, but rather the rather ridiculous amount of spawning.. Take xvarts for example. When you get up to that village of there's, you have to fight ALOT. Head into the cave and on your way back down you have to fight about twice as much as you did in the first place! The worst case would probably be at the Knoll Fortress or Firewine Dungeon. Monsters just keep spawning and spawning, so for first timers you can get easily overwhelmed within seconds. Even now I sometimes do :p Can't forget kobolds now can we ;)

14. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Remember the Phoenix Gaurds. You know the guys who deal fire damage on hit and explode into fireballs at death. Yeah. They smoked my entire party several times before I learned to hand all the fire resist stuff to my PC fighter and send him in alone.

And the vampire in Narskel. The one that pops up if you click on his grave too many times. I have never been able to kill him and his troupe of Phoenix Guards.

Drat.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Don't remember the vampire in nashkel, only those phoenix guards..

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Gibberlings...I hate them soo much, they hit fairly well for a monster of their size and level, they are capable of doing up to 8 dmg, insta killing a poor lvl 1 mage guy. (they killed Xsar, not me, luckily.)

And remember the place when you fight hordes and I mean, hordes of those with the aid of a fighter woman? That was really annoying, they kept spawning and there were literally dozens of them rushing from every corner...and then just I realised I had run out of sleep spells! :bang: Nahal's Reckless Dweomor's did not help, it even made the things worse, entangling me! :doh: Ahh it was irritating, I had to spend quite a lot of healing potions to stay alive...now that's OK, potions are for staying alive, but against gibberlings ! :hahaerr:

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    A level 1 Wild Mage is awfully nice to play. The point is when you are level 1 with crappy items you have to run and pick the fights you can win. Kobolds and bandits are even worse than gibberlings, but that's because they use bows and bows are so effective at lower levels.

Maybe it's just me but I enjoy playing lower level parties in BG (tutu) more than uber parties in ToB. It's all about challenge and the greatest challenge is playing a level 1 Wild Mage! ;)

18. Synergy14 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yeah that guy in nashkel with the phoenix guards...has anyone ever been able to kill him for good? i've managed to kill him and any phoenix guards that come after him (hasted party pelting him with arrows and bolts), but when I click on the grave again he just keeps coming

19. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I never saw the big deal with Sirines. I would always just re-charm whoever they happened to charm, then initiate some serious beat-down. I'm pretty sure this was a bug, come to think of it.

OT: Ankhegs and Kobold Commandos were by far the most annoying (generic) monsters for me.

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, sirines aren't hard, they're just annoying. That damn humming gets stuck in your head. >_<

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.