1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does the rumoured Gate of Ulcaster exist?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cal Yhringlor, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] You know ( —I pray that it is NOT an old subject ! ) :) that if you listen the commoners in Beregost, Gullykin or sometimes everywhere else, it is rumored that a magical portal (dimensional ? interplanar ? parallel worlds ? other, beyond wild dreams ?) exist into the deepest level of Ulcaster School Ruins.
    Me, and all of you ! , love and know every stone, every blade of grass of BG1 (& of TotSC). Then :
    Is that gate a pure legend, or is it only fallen in the blind zone of my gaze ?!
    Ppfff ! What a pity, it is a so exciting hypothesis : a gate, so a new space behind !
    But I tried intense Find Traps, natural or spell-type, I tried carrying a multi-hued Rogue-stone, I tried ... near ALL, and no result, :help: Help me if you have the eagle glance or the fox cunning ! :bad:

[ October 15, 2006, 01:00: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. zerox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The only funny hidden stuff i know relating to ulcaster is that if you give him the idol from the dig site, and the ancient plate armor from the fire wine ruins, then he gives you a cursed easter egg sword called the vampire's revenge. I don't remember ever hearing anything about a gate in ulcaster, and as far as i know there isn't one.

3. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    As with zerox, I've never heard of another place actually existing.

Perhaps it really is just a rumour you've been hearing?

You should know better than to listen to peasants anyway!

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Still a good thought though ...

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

There's no gate. This is similar to pre-TotSC BG, where you could ask the guy in Gullykin about Durlag's Tower, but you couldn't get there (yet). While Durlag's Tower was only added with TotSC, the mentions of it are in plain BG. Similarly, this could be another red herring that was simply never developed. It would be an interesting idea for a mod, though.

6. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

:heh: What a good idea has Felinoid !
    Practice of AD&D 2nd edition clear spirits, really ! ...
    ;) Yes, a small add-on mod would be good on this start ...
    Think : a blue and vaporous gate, hard to find, open on a secret level of Ulcaster School where fire had NEVER reached, because of a weak dimensional distorsion has turned most part of heat.
    There, some of the more ambitious mages of the old Ulcaster are ALWAYS alive, and have pursued magical studies in strange news ways of magic, both kind and evily disposed [ new spells in view for adventurers ! ].
    After a comic blur of the party about WHO are the real foes (know alignment does not function here) and after exploration and/or clearing of a dozen of rooms, the PCs find an OTHER gate, (green that one !), which open ... on a components stock-chamber under the Magicorium [ the shop of spells ] of the City of Baldur's Gate Herself !
    AND here, there is the brothers of the group of wizards that the party has killed, in the recent past, on the ... first level of that shop (yes, remember ...)
    A good start, no ? :thumb:
    But the positive remarks of Silvershield and Felinoid (thank to them !) dont remove the sadness of the real situation, if the the gate do no (yet !) exist.
    I was really in hope of it was really concealed :(

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe you REALLY want someone to make a mod dont you :p

8. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] :¬) ... Yes, I admit it ... Why not ? I have not the informatic competencies to do it myself, then ... !
    You are subtile, Silvershield — but it's a normal enough state in Boards O' Magick, where the cream of humanity seems to meet !
    ;)
    But, sadly, learn a thing : even if a add-on for the subject is created by Felinoid or an other genius programmer, my PERSONAL chances to enjoy the result of his work are very thin :
    I am on a very old iMac of Apple, (which is under MacOs9.2) ; playing games AND be fan of Mac system is near-always a hard way.
    Yes, I am going to have a new computer in the next 3 months, saying 05 January maxi or so, but it shall be again an Apple !
    OK, there is now a special free little program that allow to use a part of Mac as a PC.
    I wait to see it to believe it. :skeptic:
    Even if it's correct, what if old games as Baldur do not work with new INTEL microprocessors ?
    Reply : an old computer too old, an new computer too new, and a very sad CRPG player. :sosad:

9. Fly2tHeSkY

I'm sure a game like BG would work on a new computer, it would just need some tweaking ...

10. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

Perhaps you are true, Silvershield.
    • But the new system is very different of the last.
    • And, alas, I dont be very good at "Tweak" computers ... :square:
    [ I suppose that << tweaking >> is the anglo-saxon counterpart of the french name << bidouillage >>, "to tweak computer" would be equal to "bidouiller un ordinateur" ].

11. Felinoid

My laptop is only a year old (using Win XP) and it plays BG flawlessly. I don't think you'll have to worry past the Mac conversion.

12. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] :confused: ... heu ... Sorry, Felinoid ... My dictonary put all arms to my feet ...

Humm, what's a "laptop", please ?
    ( no, it's not SO obvious ... )

13. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Cal Yhringlor: This is a laptop

14. Felinoid

Un ordinateur mobil, in your language. ;) (I don't remember if that's the common term, but it serves well as a description. If I haven't gotten it wrong, that is... It's been a few years since I took Francais.)

15. Gorilym Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Cal Yhringlor: If you have Baldur's Gate II as well, you would be able to play Baldur's Gate on your next machine using the BG1Tutu conversion. (Baldur's Gate II is OS X, so it will run on Intel Macs.)

Oh, I know we're only supposed to discuss Tutu / BGT etc. in the ToB forum, but I figure this might be useful information. :)

16. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] For Felinoid :

:aaa: Aahhh ! ... Un ordinateur portable !
    Not a "ordinateur mobile", no ... A : "ordinateur portable", ( litteral traduction in english : a "computer which is easy to carry" ! :lol: )
    Thank you, and thank to Argohir also !
    ;¬)

For Gorilym :

• Yes, I have BG2 (without any extension, however).
    • No, alas, i am not wishing install the tutu system, which has numerous inconvenients if i believe that several cool guys say in Boards O' Magick ; AND which deeply transform a lot of details loved in BG1. Even, I have regretted to advice it to my best friend, who live in Swiss, only to improve his graphic quality ( his stupid PC "pixelise", with a graphic card a thousand unities stronger that mine on my old iMac, i laugh ... ).
    I hope that there is (or there will be) a OTHER alternative than "tutu" to read BG1 on a recent iMac [ with a 20" LCD screen (24" is expensive and ... too large for human angle of view :bigeyes: , if i was a toad, agreed then !) ].

17. Gorilym Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@Cal Yhringlor

Ah ok. The development of EasyTutu has removed many of the inconveniences of the process, but if you want the exact BG1 experience then I understand that Tutu is not ideal for you.

Since there is no OS X version of BG1 it will not work with the Rosetta technology, but you might be able to play it on an Intel Mac using an emulator such as this: http://www.gibix.net/projects/sheepshaver/

18. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Thank you very much Gorilym.

— In fact, that web adress has many chances to serve me MUCH in the 3 months to come.
    ( I am furious of the Apple's levity in matter of old games reading ability ) :almostmad:

• I was going there for a rapid glance ; I dont understand all details but i shall communicate the site to my swiss old friend, who will understand, him.

My only inquietude is the phrase of that site : << SheepShaver runs MacOS 7.5.2 thru MacOS 9.0.4 >> , (as I am actually under MacOS 9.2) but I suppose that it is the mode under a game is built, no exploited). (?) :bad:

:) Thanks again in all cases : you were really useful :happy:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.