1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Maybe i am getting too philosofic but...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kasio, May 3, 2001.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hehe, is that trying to make me look confused? After I've posted the same answer to you for the third time and you still don't get it? I can see why everyone else gave up on this topic, there's no reasoning with you. You're like a skipping gramophone plate, always repeating the same tune.

With each post you make yourself sound more ignorant. Also, learn to spell my name right, you manage to spell it wrong twice in one post. Twisting my words won't get you any prizes either.

I told you things the developers have brought up on the official boards numerous times before. There is no "No way!" you can say back. Bioware have stated the pure, cold facts and I just relayed them here. If you don't like them, that's your problem. Mail Bioware, tell them they're lazy and don't know how to make games you would want to play.

And where exactly do you think Bioware would put those 20 extra NPCs? Make a shack in the middle of Athkatla called "Ye Old NPC Storage Room" with 20 NPCs standing there just waiting for you to pick them up? Or scatter them around the maps, having approximately one NPC on each one just waiting there for you to come along and take them to a trip to Underdark, Hell and beyond?
    And you're talking about realism here, heh.

Ok, and since your grasp of English language obviously isn't sufficent to understand what I say (I suggest re-reading, 5x times maybe?), I will explain in detail what I mean by "(As if anyone needs 25 NPCs).
    Sure, it would be nice to have that many to choose from..."

I meant to point out that you do not really need that many NPCs to enjoy the game. It would be nice to have more (more of everything is always nice, by default), but it just isn't always feasible. Which is a point I make at the end of that post. But I don't suppose you've bothered to read that far...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 10, 2001).]

2. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword, our god (Taluntain) is marching on!"

kasio, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but what affects the way party and non-party NPCs regard you?

1. Alignment
    2. History
    3. Game time
    4. Quests
    5. Class

All right, how many alignments are there? Seven? That's seven nested if and loop structures for each NPC on the current map.

History and class...have you killed an innocent NPC on that map? Have you killed an innocent NPC on another map? Are you a fallen ranger? Paladin? How many classes are there? Twenty? How many accidental killings in which areas can you get away with? Who's in your party? Do you have a required item? That adds about another fifty if and loop structures.

Game time? What chapter are you in? Are you in chapter six and have yet to beat Firkraag? Have you beaten Spellhold or the Underdark? Okay, that adds one whole class for chapters and about eleven structures for quests (as some depend on class).

Not to mention random sound bites, animations, Hakim, time countdowns (like the ten day limit for Ankhegs in BG1), quest related scripts (did you kill or befriend Drizzt?), spell scriptings (have you paid the fee so you can cast spells?), event triggered speech. Script changes (few NPCs immediately attack you if they see you), and oh yeah...how high is your charisma?

This is why my 550 mhz, twenty ghz hard drive, 128 mb SDRAM, VooDoo3, twin cooling fan computer system is like a slide projector if I crank the resolution and AI changes up.

And what about area specific movement...

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Brief Post
    I'll let Tal and Sapyril do the real arguments, but as I mentioned in my second post, the one with entropy, I can't admit to being wrong. So time to defend my pitiful delusions. Oh, btw, keep threads of this sort up. To them I bring my ignorance, and armed with that ignorance, I cannot fail to learn
    Oriental Stuff- fine, I agree with you now our positions are explained. If the designers want to introduce Oriental weapons and fighting styles they should bring the rest of the culture. I have learned a little from you, I have said nothing worth learning from.
    Glass- Wizards can do everything, better than modern technology. I like modern technology, though, being a sad delusional who loves shiny things and engines. I will buy Fallout, it seems my kind of game. In Lord of the Rings there's a bit of an industrial revolution, if I remember correctly. Saruman's tower is full of stange machines and when he comes to the shire he replaces all the cottage industries with ugly red-brick buildings full of wheels and smoke that are supposedly more productive. Maybe Irenicus' dungeon is partly based on Saruman's tower (Orthanc or Isengard, one's the tower, one's the country, I think, or they could be different names for the same place)
    AOE - I didn't claim that the mechanics accurately represented history, I'm too stupid to comment on stuff like that, not knowing any history and not getting that deeply into a game, and game mechanics are necessarily a simplification so that
    A) games can get finished
    B) poor people like me can run games
    C) stupid people like me can play games
    However, given that your first post seemed to be about style and background rather than mechanics, AOE does have the benefit of being set in real history, with historical notes behind all the races and weapons, and every unit consistent with the historical period explained in the notes.
    Sure, more tightening up is good, always gives game developers something to work towards.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited May 11, 2001).]

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Tal, did I hear the name Gygax. I'm old enough to remember 1E. But I won't tell if you don't. :D

I refuse to continue the NPC thread because it's clear that one side is not getting the point. Kasio if you want robots in your party just go play in multi-player and have done with it.

5. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Kasio has explained his position very clearly to us. I would speak more, but too many cooks spoil the broth. Anyway the broth is already too salty.

Thus, this thread is now an exercise in "flexing" each others minds, an imposing of our own opinions upon others. Let's just all agree to disagree.

Or else I shall have to smack you all! :D

6. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Enlighten me
    What about Gygax and 1E?

7. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] No! Don't enlighten him! I foresee that it could be a thread by itself!

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No way... last time I got into a conversation (on IRC) about Gygax and similar subjects it lasted for three weeks on and off... and none were the wiser. If anyone wants to start a new topic, be my guest. I'll try to stay far away though. :D

9. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

hehe first edition......I remmember the damn box set with five dice when EVERY character class controled alignment and there where only like 4 alignments heh

Anyway, if the idea of monks punching dragons bugs you, DON'T PLAY ONE. then there won't be any in your game. nuff said.

If you ever played one of gygax's silly damned modules...the left box is instant un-dectable death and the right hand box holds a vorpal sword.......oh, wait, no gygax discusions...sorry...oops

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.