1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A |33t question

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by C'Jakob, Mar 30, 2002.

1. C'Jakob Guest

:help:

Although I know what |33t is (e.g. Why don't u go 2 the post office 4 getting there?), why is it called "|33t"?

Thanks in advance.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Because you're among the l33t (elite) if you use it (according to the l33t ones of course).

Oh, and I don't think your example would really be considered l33t by anyone who considered themselves to be l33t. ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 30, 2002).]

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have no clue what this thread is about!!!!

What is this strange language you are typing?!?!?!? What the heck does |33t mean anyway?!?!?! What?!?!!? What?!?!?!? What?!?!?!

What's is the big deal? What am I missing? Can I live without knowing? Well, probably - but tell me anyway!!!!
    :confused: :ponder: :wail: :square:

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I think of 'l337' as 'Ebonics for Computer Geeks'.

7 = T
    3 = E
    Joo = You
    4 = A
    0 = O

Those are about the only ones I really know of. When you look at it in perspective, there's a whole lot of really good creativity in there...

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

can someone please fill me in why anyone would make a system extremely complex to type instead of easy? I means, it takes may times the time to type l33t than it does to type normal english. They got their own keyboards too?

6. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

l33tsp34k is a way of cryptographing language, either as a way to attempt to seem cooler than you are or simply to codify your message in a grandiose state.

0=o
    1=i
    2=to
    4=a
    5=s
    7=t
    j00=you
    ph34r=fear
    w00t=root

j00 w1ll 4ll ph34r my l33t sk1llz...

4m0n-R4

7. Egglord Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

\/\/=W
    1=I or L
    @=A or at
    5=S
    |\|=N
    |\/|=M

"\/\/007" is a general expression of joy and elation e.g. "\/\/007! 1 Ju57 P0573D 0|\| 5P!"

[This message has been edited by Egglord (edited March 30, 2002).]

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] A l33t wannabe friend of mine made an easy program that would turn normal English into l33t... You just typed the text in, pressed a button and voila, it came out in l33t, you just needed to paste it somewhere. So you see, l33t has lost any trace of the mystical charm it ever had long, long ago (in a land far, far away most likely). Use of l33t is expressly forbidden on SP. As our new IOTW found out yesterday...

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That type of expressing I never liked. It introduces definetly lame puzzles in itself.

If you want to show me how smart you are, use egyptian hieroglyphics. I do know pronounciation of symbols in that type of writing, but you won't see me using it. It is not nor can be a part of community that doesn't "excessivly" use it every day.

Such is with l33t crap. Go to some writing and linguistic forums and drool over it there. On d&d based site that sh*t should never be allowed.

10. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If I'm not mistaken, it originated from shoot em up games like doom. In team based games, you didn't have time to type out full orders and stuff like that to your mates, so '133+' came up. Stuff like \/\/=w are just silly crap kids came up with later on, to look cool. The point was fast typing.

w00t, i r 1 133t h4x0r d00d, ph34r m3 ehehehehe!!!!

note: I think the whole moronspeak sounds incredibly silly. It is so frustrating talking to someone who responds with 'do u think so?'.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually it really originated in the hacking/cracking community much earlier. That's its true origin.

12. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yes. From what i know, it was created and used by hackers as a simple form of code to which laymen do not understand.
    Later it was made immensely popular by the counterstrike community.

13. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Leet speak is just lame nowadays.
    Then again.. ;)

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited April 11, 2002).]

14. I can't understand it. If someone types like that on msn, I would block them. I mean, I just spent 15 minutes on this topic trying to read what the hell all you people are trying to say in "l33t"!!!!! It's too complicated for my simple mind.

15. ArchAngel Guest

16. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

But if you've ever read megatokoyo you probley agree that it's really funny. Just by reading that some what I can under stand a little. Bad I know. But at least it bring's laughs!

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=9

17. Kahliib Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It comes from an incredibly wasteful group of aliens that like to pro-long busy work by taking extra time to type things like: R u feeling alright 2day?

18. DemoGorgon Guest

LOL those sites are hilarious!
    PS
    If ya dont like l33t, dont go on b.net, its all any of those people do.
    it gets really old really fast.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.