1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Suggestions for a Druid

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Grumpi, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Grumpi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm planning my new character for BG1+BG2 (using BGtutu) and I'd like to try a Druid.

I know that spellcasting depends on WIS, so i will raise this stat as high as possible, but what about other stats?

Any suggestions are welcome. Share your druid expirience. ;)

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

con to 16, more hp is best, though above 16 you won't get no bonus

dex 18 , since you're limited to studded leather as best armor, you need something to compensate, and it is best to let your druid (if pure druid) use slings from the back, hence a good dex is needed.

You might want at least an average str of 10+ so you can carry other stuff than only your equipment.

Now, the question is what druid you want to play. Are you gonna add fighter class or are you going with a kit?

My personal choice is Shifter kit, but only when importing in BG2. I find it makes sense after your visit to werewolf Island ;)

3. Grumpi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm fond of spellcasting, and I'm not gonna multi/dual class.

What about INT and CHA? Is there a relevant reason to keep them high or I can drop them low?

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

No relevant reason. Cha will have to be moderately high, because of class limits but feel free to empty them as much as you want. The only reason to not do so is for purely rp reasons, namely, you don't want a char with a stat of a moron. But on the other hand, in the game you won't notice a difference.

My only suggestion is, go with a kit. They are always better than a pure druid. At least imho.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Since you're starting in BGI, my "power" suggestion would be to have at least a 15 STR, and 17 in WIS and CHA. Start off as a Human Fighter, and then dual class to Druid. You'll be able to put more points in weapons and wear better armor throughout the entire game, and after a quest or two you won't notice a difference at all.

If you want to go with a single classed Druid instead, I'd suggest starting with a 15 CON. It'll go up later, and will never go down (over 16 makes no difference). As high a STR as possible is preferred since you'll be using a sling, and will have to enter melee combat from time to time.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

CHA helps determine how low or high the prices are in stores, as well as what rewards you get for quests. I'd suggest starting with at least 15 (Tome of Leadership +1, Algernon's Cloak / Nymph's Cloak +2 while wearing) as you need 18 CHA to get the best discounts and rewards.

Definitely start with 18 STR as the 18 -> 19 bonus is incredible!

7. Klorox

Druids have a minumum 15 CHA, IIRC. :D

8. Felinoid

:doh: I always forget Druids have a CHA requirement becasue it's almost counter-intuitive.

[rant]
    I mean, a nature-loving hermit who looks good; who came up with that? When I think druid, I think scraggly beard, pock-marked face, and grumpy disposition. Those are not exactly traits I would ascribe to a high Charisma. :rolleyes:
    [/rant]

9. Klorox

I think it's because of their animal handling, which in AD&D 2e is a skill based off of CHA, IIRC.

I agree though, it doesn't make much sense. The "iconic" druid in 3e has an 8 CHA.

10. Felinoid

I don't think so. The non-weapon proficiencies that would apply especially to druids are:

GEN Animal Handling: Wis @ -1
    GEN Animal Training: Wis (No modifier)
    WAR Animal Lore: Int (No modifier)
    PRI/WIZ Herbalism: Int -2

The only ones in the PHB that use Charisma are: Etiquette, Singing, Local History, Disguise, and Gaming.

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    High CHA doesn't necessarily mean that you look good. Druids are leaders in their communities.

If you're going to use the tomes (why wouldn't you?) it's no use to raise your stats too high (who wants 21 WIS anyway?)

12. Klorox

Don't you get a ton of bonus (albiet low level) spells with a high Wisdom?

@Felinoid: Yep, you're right. That's what I get for not checking the books before posting! :)

13. Felinoid

@Caradhas:
    :jawdrop: Are you kidding? Above 18 WIS you get two extra spells per point! Why wouldn't you want that?

14. Caradhras

Media:
    Above 18 is what I would call a godlike stat... anyway with 21 WIS you don't get +6 spells per level!
    Check it for yourself if you don't believe me. ;)

15. Felinoid

No, I meant two extra individual spells. Like with 19 WIS you get another 1st and another 4th. It's in the back of the manual (and PnP). And while it may be a little godlike, so are Bhaalspawn. :heh:

The sum total spell bonuses for a priest character with 21 WIS is:
    3 first, 3 second, 2 third, 3 fourth, and 1 fifth
    Now THAT's impressive! Especially when compared to 18 WIS:
    2 first, 2 second, 1 third, and 1 fourth

16. Caradhras

Media:
    Sorry I misunderstood your statement. Anyway, have you ever run out of spells with a cleric or a druid?

That's one extra spell, the icing maybe but not the cake.

It's a matter of taste really, I don't think Bhaalspawns get uber stats by using tomes, I thougth it had something to do with the trials in Hell and unlocking one's secret abilities. ;)

EDIT: "3 fourth"? is it a typo?

17. Felinoid

I run out of spells all the time! Then I have to rest to get 'em back. :( And Bhaalspawns will take whatever advantage they can find to defeat their brethren and sistren. The Tomes just teach you how to unlock your own potential anyway.

Have you ever read the descriptions in the DMG? The only magic in those books is their disappearing act when you're done reading them. All they do is tell you how to get better at something yourself. The ability boost has to do with learning the advice contained in the books, and the time and effort you put into it. It's supposed to take you weeks of training/studying to get it, but I guess they didn't feel like it was worth the bother to actually put that in the game. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yes, actually, it's a typo in the manual. :doh: You're supposed to get a first and a third at 19 WIS.

Going by my PHB this time, the WIS progression is:
    13: 1
    14: 2
    15: 2,1
    16: 2,2
    17: 2,2,1
    18: 2,2,1,1
    19: 3,2,2,1
    20: 3,3,2,2
    21: 3,3,3,2,1
    22: 3,3,3,3,2
    23: 4,3,3,3,2,1
    24: 4,3,3,3,3,2
    25: 4,3,3,3,3,3,1

That makes a lot more sense, doesn't it? :grin:

[ August 07, 2005, 22:58: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

18. Klorox

The biggest advantage of those Tomes is when you go from an 18 to a 19 STR. I get that STR up to 18 for any starting character in BGI if I ever expect them to come close to melee combat now!

19. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

I would suggest that WIS isnt as important as it first seems. The bonus spells are handy, but not that great. In BG1 the low-level spells are fairly rubbish and when in BG2 you wont need that many level 1-4 spells.

Although the manual states you need 18 wis to cast L7 spells and 17 wis to cast L6 spells, you will find this isnt the case and you can cast them no matter what your wis.

So, going from BG1 I would have Wis as 15 (or higher if you can spare the points) which would give you 18 by the end of BG1.

Dex is crucial to a Druid as you cant wear better than leather armour .... although in BG1 only you can wear the mighty Ankheg armour :)

Con is essential for +hp bonuses.

Int isnt needed.

Cha has to be 15 min.

Str can be scrimped on as you get many str increasing items in the sequel.

You should study the classes in BG2 carefully and decide what you are going to play. And, also take into account the tomes.

Caster Druid
    Str = 12 (13 after tome)
    Dex = 17 (18 after tome)
    Con = 15 (16 after tome)
    Int = 9 (10 after tome)
    Wis = 18 (21 after tomes)
    Cha = 15 (16 after tome)
    86 stat total

Melee Druid
    Str = 18 (19)
    Dex = 17 (18)
    Con = 15 (16)
    Int = 9 (10)
    Wis = 15 (18)
    Cha = 15 (16)
    89 stat total

As you can see, either of these examples would be very easy and quick to roll, and even though they dont start off great by the time they start BG2 they will be uber :)

Another point to remember, is that for almost any combat stat (str,dex,con) there is an item available in BG2 to compensate ... so I would say thay generally str is the easiest stat for make lower.

An interesting fact when importing from BG1 to BG2 is that when selecting a certain druid kit, you wont lose the -2 from 2 important stats.

If you do decide to dual-class, you can become L7 fighter and I think it was L9 druid by the end of BG1/TOTSC. You lose out on a kit, but you gain better hp's, attacks and weapon proficiencies.

Do not multi-class at all. Although great in BG1 it sucks for the F/D in SOA/TOB.

I had a Druid that I took from BG1->SOA->TOB and he did very well. His starting stats were 17,17,15,10,18,15. Through BG1 he used Ankheg+Buckler+Daggers+Darts which was a very potent combination and I played him as though his lycanthropy was never completely cured from TOTSC.

20. Caradhras

Media:
    I agree with Bard. In BG2 there are too many stat enhancing items so this shouldn't be an issue (why even bother about 19 STR? it's not such a big thing especially for a Druid, a dwarven Fighter with a 20 CON is a different subject entirely).

@Felinoid: that's the equivalent of a Ring of Holiness, nice but not vital especially if we consider that WIS won't reach 21 before chapter 5 (I would have Xzar read a tome of wisdom and dual him into Cleric just for fun). Plus it won't give you extra spells above level 5 which is entirely negligible in BG2.

@Grumpi: If you're using BG tutu, you can make a Fighter (Berserker for their nice ability, but Kensai is another possibility) and dual him into Druid (at level 7 just like Bard advised) this way you'll take advantage of the extra attack at level 7, all you have to do is to choose your weapon proficiencies with care (Druid weapons only and don't put proficiency points in the same weapon when you dual) when your Fighter class becomes active you'll be able to put even more points in these allowing you to achieve +++++ (which can be handy if you have the True Grand Mastery Mod).
    I wouldn't recommend a multiclass not because they aren't a good option, only because Jaheira is already a F/D. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.