1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bioware should pay attention to the poll results...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Crawl, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Seeing something like the poll results on the front page might make Bioware a little skittish. After all, they spent five years working on their dream project, and boldly moved forward with really a totally new direction for rpg's. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like their concept is taking hold. And a frightening thing for the life of the game is this thought: likely alot of people who took the time to vote on that survey were the non casual rpg/dnd fan they were hoping to cater too. I think one can also take that poll as a little insight into the game's current popularity. The lack of voters could be a fluke, but I think it says something about how many people care enough about the game to even vote. These forums have been a bit slow the past couple of weeks, and while Bioware's forums are still jumping, those posters are likely either their most hardcore nwn fans or detractors. It's unfortunate, because it was a really bold vision. but in hindsight, perhaps it wasn't the most marketable concept to the mass audience. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I'm spending a good bit of time designing my own game with the toolset. But it looks like nwn's audience is dwindling after only a few short months.

So, am I wrong. Let's hear where you're at with the game. Are you still playing it? Have you downloaded any good mods or found any good online games to join yet? If not, are you intersted in online/mod games at all? Or have you placed Bio's newest creation aside for something else right now?

(BTW, here are the poll results again)
    What we asked:

Q: How many Neverwinter Nights modules have you downloaded and played thus far?
    (284 votes total)

None (123) 44%
    1-5 (77) 27%
    6-10 (39) 14%
    More than 25 (21) 7%
    11-15 (15) 5%
    16-20 (5) 2%
    21-25 (4) 1%

[ September 09, 2002, 00:01: Message edited by: Crawl ]

2. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Crawl, you made some very interesting and appropriate comments. At least, I felt concerned!

I bought the game the day it came out and I'm still in Chapter 2. I almost have to force myself back to playing the game so that I can see the end. And for the price it sold, I feel I have to finish it to at least make it worth the spendings! Needless to say, I'm disappointed with the game.

I have never played any MMORPG and I'm not too good with computers. Although I had plans to join a persistent world and possibly download a few modules, I have yet to do it. And to be honest, other than the modules available here on Sorcerers, I wouldn't know where to look for to find some more.

I guess the fact that the single player game was/is not to my liking, it is not giving me the incentive to start looking around for some custom content. It might change, but I don't think so unless I happen to be guided through the first few attemps, which is highly unlikely since I only have one friend who plays the game and he doesn't know much more than I about computers!!!

So all in all, my spent money is not bringing the return I had hoped. I'm willing to possibly give it another try, but my hopes are not very high!

3. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I also bought the game when it came out and I was really happy with it, but after a couple of days playing the single player campaign I got so bored with it that I haven't played it in months...

I have downloaded some modules that are pretty good and my hope is that in the future there will be more and better modules for download. And I think there will be, cause the game isn't so old yet and it takes time to make a good module.

I have also played with the toolset, but all the things I want to do with it requires me learning the scripting language alot better and I haven't the time for that at the moment, maybe I'll get time during the winter. I hope so, cause the toolset is for me the part of the game. Would be really funny to make a module based on the Baldur's Gate games with the exact same areas and all, but that's where the party question comes in. Why couldn't they have allowed a party, this really bothers me.

4. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Stormhand, I know how you feel. I pre-ordered NWN and it cost me almost double of what it will cost when the game actually gets to the retailers here. The single player is really weak, but only yesterday, I started messing with the toolset, and it is very easy to use.

As for downloading modules, try the Sorcerers.net NWN game - modules section, plenty of modules and links. This direct link to bioware is also useful:
    http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/modules.html

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

OK before I get started, here are some , hopefully, useful links for people. From experiences with this and other games, the biggest problem with finding modules is choosing between the rare gems and the common crap. Even if you are on broadband and can download quickly, you don't want to waste time playing something that is rubbish. So the most useful thing to me, is to find a list of modules that have been rated. Then I only try those that sound interesting AND get a good rating/review. So in addition to the official link (given above) and Sorcerers ( http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index_modules.php ) you could try here:

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/categories/
    this seems to be where Bioware send you anyway. This site lets you sort modules by adventure type and user review scores. It also tells you most things you need to know such as player levels etc. Very useful.

http://www.neverwinterhaven.com/downloads/modsindex.phtml
    Not quite as useful but it does give review scores for every module.

http://www.servantsofmystery.com/fathermatt/nwn.htm

I put this link in because I thought it might have soething to do with our very own Farther Mat. Anyway, the page contains sorted links to all aspects of the game. So you can quickly find a place to provide help and downloads for many different aspects. That's assuming of course that you want something that can't already be found on this very site. In case you still haven't been there:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index.php

And now to the purpose of the post. I sort of enjoyed the single player game. I've been feeling pretty brain dead of late so the simple hack n slash wasn't really a problem. Playing a mindless barbarian also reduced the negative impacts of the poor henchman AI and complication of realtime combat for spellcasting. I also quite enjoyed the little henchman and Arabeth stories. Overall though I can see it is a big let down compared to the story of PsT and BG1 and it is a shame it drops the party interaction of PsT and BG2.

My big hope though was always for the extra modules and especially the online stuff with a real DM. Strangely though I haven't explored these angles much as of yet. I've breifly tried a few donwloaded modules for single player and have been underwhelmed so far. They seem to be the standard - talk to him, go there, bash some monsters, come back. Not much story, not much chance to roleplay. But I must stress it is early days and I will be making use of the links I posted above.

As to online play. I have only tried a few simple tests and am extremely impressed with the stabality and speed of the connection. I was expecting to get horrible lag on my 56k modem but it seems fine.

The problem I guess will be finding sensible people to play with. I've already seen a 350hp dual flaming sword welding ranger in a level 1 game. I guess this could be the biggest put-off for casual gamers. Where to go to find people to play against that you might enjoy playing with.

Still, at least the default Gamespy sorts games into action, Roleplay, story etc. For more advanced users there are also the pre-register permanent worlds (when they eventually get going). Or, as I'm hoping to do, just play with the people you normally game with or chat to on forums like these.

My main concern about the online gaming aspects (and I haven't played anywhere near enough to be sure if this is a problem) is that the modification to the rules make an already combat biased 3rd edition D&D game even more hack n slash. In online P&P play I use a rogue who is biased towards trading and is crap in combat. To create him for NWN is almost impossible, all the softer people type skills have been removed. Early testing also suggests the higher speed real time nature might make the more cerebal Role play style very difficult to achieve. I'm already thinking my barbarien will be the only way to cope online. His main tactic (charge!) is not hindeed by realtime play.

Oh well, I've waffeld for long enough. To summarise, I agree that the take up is being a little slow and that fact you can't just click a button to load modules might put off casual gamers. I also think the uninspired single player game might have caused some problems. I think it is likely to continue as a sort of cult thing, with pockets of fans making good, DM led adventures for there own little gaming communities. But I hope that it does last and that the online side takes off in a bigger way. Fingers crossed.

[Fixed the link.] -Tal

[ September 08, 2002, 20:22: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  6. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

It is sad that NWN is not doing as hot as most of us thought. But maybe that's partly because of all their preadvertising.

The modules are easy to create but a pain in the ass to script for a common person. I'm just learning and it's quite over my head. But I'm holding out because I'v always wanted some thing like this ever since I got into P&P. And now that it's here I'm surprised that it's being so abused.

I really cant say much about playing the game because I really bought NWN for the Toolset and not the game. So compleating the game isn't on top of my list.

Even though NWN is ground breaking gaming it's in the wrong feild. If it was in the James Bond shot'em up feild then it might have done better. Let's face it the RPG feild is small and doesnt have the greatest impact.

Maybe some awards will boost NWN sales. Maybe not.

Well I'd like to sayt more but I dont have time, maybe later.

7. Deepdarkness Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i think that nwn is one of the best games ive played . cant see why people arent flocking to it

8. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I guess that the one who voted are the reals fans, because all the others quit long time ago. Bioware misjuge greatly in judging the developpment of multiplayer on the internet, not realising that people will start playing SP before going on M.P
    The other problem, as was said, is that it's difficult to download modeules without knowing which one you'll like... Repuation is still an important issue, people will be ready to buy rather than to get free just because they trust the seller...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.