1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

System Requirements met but....

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Wizard of Thay, May 9, 2004.

1. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello, I just bought NVN Gold today and I'm not all pleased with it. There are 2 reasons:

1. It's probably just my comp, but it's REALLY slow. all the system requirements are met, but it is just unplayably slow. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can speed it up?

2. I loved how BG, SoA, ToB, IWD, and IWD2 looked. Why couldn't they keep it that way? I know this can't be helped, but I'm just mad that they had to change it like that....oh well...

Ok, thanks for your help...

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What exactly are your sistem specs?

3. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

Well...let me see:

Athlon 1.53 Ghz
    248 RAM
    about 37.26 GB

and I'm not sure about my video or sound card, but that wouldn't really affect game speed, would it?

4. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Your ram is adequate. Your graphics card will have an affect on frame-rate as far as i know, so yeah that will slow it down if you have an old one. Did you try adjusting the video options to improve your situation? If not, try turning everything down. System reqs. these days (in my opinion) are to be taken with a little grain of salt. Neverwinter Nights is full-3d and that allows for greater flexibility and freedom then the older D&D games. With the right stuff though the game is silky-smooth and visually superior to past D&D games. I always make sure i have all my other apps. are off like 'AIM',etc. when i play or slowdown can occur. Do you have an anti-virus program? It might benefit you to turn that off while playing.
    You should try to find out what your gfx card specs are. You can even defragment your system hd and see if that helps.

5. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have about the same sort of machine as Wizard does, and it runs slowly on my comp as well. I think it has something to do with my lack of an adequate video card; even turning the specs down to the minimum didn't appreciably help.

6. fluxcage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I first tried playing the original Neverwinter Nights on a 1.4 GHZ Athlon, 256 MB RAM, Geforce 2 MX 400 video card. Way too slow.

I upgraded to a Geforce 2 TI 4200, and was extremely pleased. The upgrade made a world of difference.

I just completed Hordes of the Underdark on an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB RAM and another Geforce 2 TI 4200 card. Also extremely pleased.

This is not meant to be critical, but if you don't know what your graphics card is, it's a good bet the card is underpowered.

If you give it a chance, I'll bet you find there are lots of things to like about the way NWN looks.

7. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

Hmmm...well, I haven't turned down the video stuff yet, so I'll have to try that. I just hope that it'll be enough to where it is playable and I won't have to buy another video card. BTW, how much does they cost for something that's powerful enough for NVN? I would love to try and play it so I can give it a fair judgement (and get my $40 worth out of it :D ). Thanks guys for the replys!

8. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

You can find a pretty powerful one for around $100-150. On the net you can find them probably for a lot cheaper. 'Search' around and i'm sure you can find a good one. If your really into gaming go 128mb, but a newer 64mb should easily be enough hp.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    256MB RAM is also very little, especially if you're running Windows XP. Upgrade to 512MB and you'll be surprised how much difference that alone can make.

10. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Your video card and your RAM are most likely the problem, as stated above. I played all three OCs on a Celeron 1.2 with a GeForce 3 card and 320MB RAM and had no problems except that when monsters spawned in the game slowed noticably (a nice little heads-up, by the way).

I actually upgraded so that I it would run better. Previous to that it had been a P2 400 with 192MB RAM and a TNT-16 video card. I could only make it through the very beginning of the first OC with those (below minimum) specs. Once I upgraded to a supported video card it worked just fine.

Good luck with getting it running better!

11. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

Thanks alot you guys. It sorrta sucks that I can't play it, and I won't be able to upgrade very soon (since I'm now in debt to my father for buying NVN when I was flat broke). Anyway, thanks again, you've been much help!

EDIT: BTW, I turned down the video setting from "Best" to "Fast" and it actually made it slower! I just thought that was funny.... :( :rolleyes:

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

You might be able to make it playable on your unit if you disable the sound.

You'll feel like disabling it anyway after you hear Aribeth say "Water-Dha-Havian Crreatures" for the hundredth time ;)

I was actually able to play thru HotU on a 1 gig P3, 256k Ram with a 16bit video card by disabling the sound.

13. Kiranos Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

using winXP? if so "rightclick" on "my computer" take "properties" then "hardware" after that "Device Manager" and after that click on the "+" infront of "display adapters"

what does it read under that menu? (under display adapters)

the name of that is the name of your graphics card.

I don't use an english version of XP but so I might have some of the menus named wrong.

14. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

Ok, I followed your instructions (A+ on translation :cool: ) and it read:

Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/ProMedia.

Apparently this video card must be out of date or something....

EDIT: Hacken Slash: Did you just disable the sound on the game or on the whole computer? Because I can't find where to disable the sound on just the game. I would guess that setting the music, voices, and sound fx to 0%, but that didn't speed it up.

15. Hacken Slash

No, that's how I did it at first and it didn't help. You have to go into the configure option where you can select various sound cards and chose "none" or "disable"...something like that. After that the sound tab on the game options won't even be highlighted. When I get a chance, I'll look and try to post specific instructions.

[edit]I remember...go into the NWN folder and look for "nwconfig.exe" and click on it. The first panel is for video settings...make no change here and click on "change", that will bring up a second panel where you can elect to disable sound for the game. Press "accept"...and your sound is disabled. Let me know if this helps ;)

16. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

Ahhh...I see...I'll have to try that right now. :rolleyes:

17. Hacken Slash

Make sure you take note of my edit above.

18. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

I took notice of your edit....and it didn't really help.... :( :( :( . Well...since nobody's said anything about my video card, I'm guessing it's so old no one has heard of it. Well....this sucks....

19. Hacken Slash

Yup, more than likely it isn't even supported. Take notice whether it say's it's in a PCI slot or an AGP slot too...if it's PCI, you may have a hard time even upgrading...I think the best PCI card you can get right now is a 32meg.

20. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

Yeah hopefully it's AGP. I talked to a couple of my gaming friends and they haven't heard of that card. Tal is right about the ram, too. My cpu came with Windows XP and upgrading it to 512mb from 256mb was like adding a supercharger to the damn thing, all my games' peformance (and the overall speed of the comp, of course) was vastly improved. I also had cursor flicker initially when i first played the game. I fixed that by just playing on another profile (different XP user-account) and it went away. I find that sorta weird..........

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.