1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Annoying henchman...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by hazefire, Aug 24, 2004.

1. hazefire Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I like NWN...but the one thing they really messed up has to be the henchman.
    Yes, they have their little story and a quest that un-ravels with it, but they really don't interact much with you or your other quest.You never really learn what they're alignment might be based on input and advice.
    Thats just a minor promblem though compared to the fact that you can't open their inventory and you can't get them to carry things for you. This would be extremely useful, especially if you're a mage with 9str. and you want to carry more than five pieces of loot.
    Finally, they'll be half dead and go running off to fight enemies I don't even see on my screen. Often, they're dead or seriously wounded before I can run after them, heal them, or tell them to stand their ground. Either that or my horribly wounded character is dragged into another battle because my henchman is already running after an enemy miles away.

In short, I don't like henchman. Does anyone?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    With either SoU or HotU, you can access your henchmen's inventory and equip them, which helps matters a bit. They can still be colossally stupid at times, however, when they decide they know better what to do than the player. The result is usually that they manage to get themselves killed. :nolike:

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Bags of Holding help amazingly with carrying your own gear. Also, like Tal said, with either or both of the expansions the henchman's inventory is accessible.

As far as the henchman running off to be killed...let 'em, I say. If they get themselves killed, you don't have to worry about them anymore for a while. When you have need of them again, they are always available when you go back using the recall stone, so what's the big deal?

If you don't want or are not ready for a particular battle yet and the henchman goes tearing off, just turn around and go back the other way. Either the henchie will buy the farm or will follow you. They generally (maybe always) follow you if you go through an area transition.

4. hazefire Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Thats strange...I have SoU and I still can't see my henchmans inventory. Maybe its a bug(I updated a week ago...) or I'm missing something big here.

5. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You can always input the commands that make the henchman stick with you and not run away with 'guard me' and 'follow' commands. Are you sure you know where the commands are to look at and control your henchman's inventory?

If you know all this stuff then disregard this post, i'm not trying to insult your intellect or anything. :heh:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] BigStick, there's no Stone of Recall in SoU, that's the problem. I haven't played HotU yet, so I don't know if something like that is present there.

hazefire, you're definitely missing it. You can get to their inventory by using the radial menu on your henchman. Their inventory is one of the options in one of the groups on the left side of the radial, I don't remember which exactly. You can also assign it to a quick slot to make it more easily accessible.

Sauron the Puppy, the whole point is that NPCs routinely ignore this. If for example they engage someone in combat and you want them to run away, the only way to do it is for you to run away a LONG way, then repeatedly click on them to follow you. Otherwise they just run a short distance and turn right back. And that's just one of the many such situations.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, that's for damn sure!

Most of the time it didn't matter for me, but there was one point where I just needed my henchman to stay out of the fight. Just stay out.

I'd put her over in a corner of the map and tell her to stay put. Then I'd try to do what needed doing.

If I didn't stop every round or so to re-command her to stay put, she'd come running into the fight and get killed.

Gah! That battle still irritates the heck out of me! :)

8. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hmmm...I've never had those problems. I've never been in a situation where i had to ditch my henchy to a corner. Lucky, maybe. HotU uses the Relic/Rogue Stone thingy. You use a room with different doorways going to places you've plotted as "points" using one stone for each plot.

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes, but like with the rings in sou, you don't keep it the entire game.

10. hazefire Gems: 2/31

I appreciate the tips...but I'm familiar with the radial menu, and I've seen the option to open my henchmans inventory, it says I'm not allowed to view thier inventory...
    Besides, its the least of my promblems with NWN so I'm not about to get an aneurysm trying to figure out how to open my henchmans invenory ;)

11. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It sounds like you're playing the original campaign and that may be why you can't view the henchmen's inventory. That campaign was designed before the ability was there. Assuming that you are indeed playing that campaign, then the Stone of Recall will work just fine for you.

The SoU campaign will allow you to open their inventory, but, IIRC, does not automatically upgrade the NPC's gear when they (you) level like is done in the first OC. This means that not only can you check on their gear, but you must, so that you can equip them and keep their gear up to snuff.

I've never found that it's a problem in any of the campaigns that it's difficult to retrieve a "lost" henchman. Time consuming perhaps, frequently a pain in the butt, but never difficult, and always possible. ;)

12. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Just kick the brat out via the dialog options and recollect her after you won the fight gloriously.

However, the most annoying thing is when you tell your magic using henchman to stop using magic and the idiot stops fighting altogether, although you want him to kick ass.

13. hazefire Gems: 2/31

Heh heh, yeah, that's my promblem...now I'm all embarrassed :o I should have thought of that sooner.
    In other news, my henchman got himself killed twice today. I don't understand how the command "Follow" makes him assume he should turn back into the midst of battle every five seconds.

14. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] It really would be a simple programming flaw that the developers would need to fix. The in-game AI just overides your commands every round... You would have thought that that would have been a simple fix in a patch or something... Its a damn shame that it's needed of the player to micro manage thier henchmen every round like this...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.