1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Walkthroughs

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by The Great Snook, Feb 7, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Okay, slightly off topic reply to Great Snook:

For me, playing a game for the first time is about the excitement of playing it. Exploring new areas, meeting NPCs, discovering hidden items, etc, etc. If I know where they are right from the start, it spoils a lot of the fun for me.

Playing a game where you already have the walkthrough strikes me as akin to asking people for the entire storyline of a book before they start reading it.

But as you say, it's up to you how you play the game. And you really wouldn't want to play HOTU without a walkthrough to hand anyway.

2. Amatorius Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Another off topic reply to The Great Snook

Subject: Official Apology

Sorry for criticizing your methods-to each their own.
    Was not intentionally meant to be offensive.
    Very sorry for any offence or upset caused.

@Taluntain
    Sorry also.
    Shall endeavour to do so in the future.
    :hippy:

3. Ganz Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] In support of the The Great Snook, may I say that I too like to play with walkthroughs at hand. Like him, I do not have the luxury of time to play often.

But more than anything else, I am a borderline perfectionist when it comes to playing games. I hate to leave any section of the game incomplete or to leave any stone unturned - if there is a quest to be done, I would like to complete it. If there is a wizard's staff to be had, I would like to know that I shouldn't sell off that rogue's stone I just found. If someone's wife needs a stag's heart to live, I would like to know how to track that animal down. If I pick up an etched gem of no sellable value, I would like to know how to use it.

Playing the game where you already have a walkthrough is akin to asking people for directions when you are travelling to a new area. Yeah, sure, I like the excitement of exploring new areas and discovering new things but it does help to know that by choosing some options in a conversation, you are able to persuade a cool NPC to join your group. Heck, it might even motivate me to make time to play more often if I am told that by playing a certain way I might get Viconia in bed. Err, I digress....

There are many types of walkthroughs out there. There are some which gives you every little detail but there are some that will give you just enough to enjoy the story without spoiling it for you. All have their uses and appeal to different people. And best of all, nobody forces you to use it if you don't want to.

4. Sleepsalot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I also like to have a walk through for the times when you have tried all you could and still end up stuck. The walk through helps you keep your sanity.

[ March 24, 2004, 23:49: Message edited by: Sleepsalot ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.