1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tales of the Sword Coast

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by caldurin, Apr 7, 2004.

1. caldurin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is this expansion worth the money or should I head right to BG II and ToB after completing BG I

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Definitely worth it. It includes (arguably) the best dungeon in the entire series as well as my favorite character.

3. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

It also makes your character better prepared for SoA, because if you finish BG with a fighter, you will be level 7.. After you've played TotSC he will be level 8.

Of course, this only helps if you are importing your character from BG to SoA..

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's worth getting but it can also be frustrating at times.

SPOILERS

It adds Durlag's Tower which is the biggest trapfest in the land. Go two feet down a corridor without detecting traps and you'll get smashed into a hundred pieces. And this happens frequently.

You'll find an enemy on an island who can only be harmed by 3 or 4 weapons in the game. If you've gone to the island without one of these weapons, you'll have one hell of a fight on your hands and one that may not even be possible. There's also no resurrection on the island so if one of your party dies... they're dead for good.

But problems like those aside, it's worth getting. It makes the final fight with Sarevok a bit more challenging than in the original game.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    While this is true, Durlag's Tower is probably the biggest dungeon in the series, when you consider how many floors you can go up, and how far you can go down. It's probably bigger than even WK in ToB.

Yes, that is true, and very annoying. As having a party member die and not being able to resurrect him is unacceptable, now you have to reload not only if the PC dies, but if any member of the party dies. It usually means on the damage intensive fights that your weaker party members don't even enter the room.

6. caldurin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks, are there any new classes or kits in TotSC?

7. CamDawg

Neither. If you want new classes or kits for BG1 use Tutu. :)

8. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I was all set to play it again (first time in years), but I just discovered a very bad scratch on my TotSC CD. there's an unreadable file...sigh.

9. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm going through Baldur's Gate with TOSC for the first time after going through BG II and TOB. Two questions I have are:

1. When I import my Cleric/Mage to BGII will he have all the spells in his spellbook that he learned in BG1?

2. As the XP cap inTOSC is higher than BG1, will my character lose XP and levels when I import him into BG II?

10. CamDawg

1) I believe so.
    2) IIRC imported characters from TotSC start at a maximum of 161,000 XP. New characters and ones imported from vanilla BG1 start at 89,000 XP.

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Actually, you'll lose all your spells in your spellbook. (I'm pretty sure at least.)

12. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You lose the spells but get to pick them again when you start BG2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.