1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Was anyone else pissed that IWD didn't have NPC's?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I was. I think the game would've been way better if there was NPC's. I would've hated BG1 and BG2 without NPC's, like I hated IWD.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    NPCs are nice, but on the other hand all my selfmade parties have been more efficient than NPC parties. That led to me never playing with less than 2 PCs in BG-2 ... because the NPCs didn't offer what I preferred.
    Insofar IWD teaches you a lesson in efficiency, while BG-1/ 2 offers more opportunity to roleplay and - depending on what you look for - perhaps entertainment.

It's a question of taste.

3. Veras the Blade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey, I know how you feel. Check this out, I was reading up on a few reviews about Icewind Dale about a week ago and I looked at some Q's and A's about it. Bioware said that some characters in the game will join you for a breif time. I have never personally seen these characters, and I wonder if they mean things like Marchon of Waterdeep and his crew helping you in Dragons Eye or something along those lines.

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The fact that you make your own party and there aren't any NPCs, is what makes IWD such a great game! So I vote NO :)

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I prefered having no NPC's anyway. Although sometimes, having interaction with your party members is fun.

6. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Not having NPCs detracts from the game a little, but IWD was supposed to provide a different experience to Baldur's Gate. The members of your party do tend to end up having all the personality of compost, so it's up to you to make them more characterful. Even without NPCs, Icewind Dale is a great game.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

It would have been nice to have some NPC's, but have the same character creation. They could've encouraged self-made parties by doing that, and so still kept the soul of IWD.

8. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Nope for me. I enjoy creating my party. I give them personalities and they turn out pretty interesting (to me anyway), and they don't boss me around or interrupt me or say "Helping people and doing great things" every 30 seconds.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'd rather they kept it as it is, without NPCs, but made some random banters. Maybe in IWD3 one day? ;) Race, class, alignment and stats should give some idea, maybe looks and sound, some personality traits assigned to the characters at the time of their creation... Maybe some day.

10. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

yea
    i hate generating characters unless i am positive they will come out nice
    thats why i only go with rangers,sorcerers,mages,and thieves
    sometimes multicalss though

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not really. It gives a different experience to BG. Whereas BG is a more in-depth role playing, IWD is more of a dungeon crawl. Saying this, I find it great to try out different class combinations and see how they work together. You can have better tanks, better thieves and better mages and really learn how to use them. I still can't get over the fact that the 1st character isn't my PC.

12. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] For my all-kill party - 30(/30 for the multiclassed) level characters i wrote even biographies for them. I'm so proud with that. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.