1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Maxing out your inventory/making weak characters pull their share of the weight

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Captain Taco, May 5, 2001.

1. Captain Taco Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey All. I'm at the point where I'm having to sacrifice my precious Winter Wolf and Yeti pelts so I can carry all the cool magic I'm accumulating in Wyrm's Tooth. One thing I've noticed, however, is that gems barely weigh anything. My cleric can only carry 50 pounds, so she carries all the gems that don't fit in my thief's gem bag. So keep that in mind, everyone. Anyways, do you guys think I should:

1, Go back to Kuldahar and sell all these pelts and potions and stuff? I don't like the idea of diverting from my goal so I can make more cash. Too bad I can't drag a caravan behind me filled with furs and gems. lol.

2, Or ditch the pelts and continue on with my quest?

Let me know how you all handled it. And if you see a giant taco wielding a broadsword and screaming profanities, it's just me entering your game.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ditch 'em. You probably have quite a bit of money by now, and the pelts aren't worth all THAT much compared to how much inventory space they take up. There's not a whole lot left for you to buy by the time you're at Wyrm's tooth; just a few things in Lower Dorn's Deep that you may want.

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Other things you can do to maximise your carrying capacity is to exploit the 'non weight' of arrows, bullets, scrolls, letters and gems (as you pointed out). I guess you are already stacking the weaker characters with scrolls (whether they can use them or not) along with the gems. You can also make use of the quiver slots for arrows and bullets even if that character is not going to use them. On a similar note make sure your people are filling all of there weapon slots, again whether they wil be using a particular weapon or not.

Another one that I have often forgotten to exploit is that ability to stack potions and spells of the same type. So make sure you are not wasting a slot by having 2 charcaters carrying the same potion type.

Finally, if you really don't want to loose stuff or return to a shop try looking for a handy trunk to store stuff in (make a note of where it is though). I'm pretty sure that IWD is the same as the other games in that stuff in trunks is safe. In that way you can store those spare suits of armour, important letters, etc that you are reluctant to let go of.

The stupid thing is, the problem doesn't go away even when you get the bag of holding, jewel bags and scroll cases in BG2. There just always seems to be something else you'd like to carry.....

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] It is vital to have as much money as possible, therefor you don't throw away anything that will give you more than 10 gp. I have never managed to fill up my inventory anyway. Always seems to go empty of arrows, and will have to visit town because of that.

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I have to agree. By the time I'm out of arrows and bolts I would just go back to town and get more and sell off all the extra stuff I was lugging around. Again anything under 10gp is not worth your time. I think by chapter 5 I had around 35k gold so I wasn't really worried about money much.

6. H Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Capitan, i think you should not worry for the money, i mean, whatever you can buy, you always get better stuff later in the game... and some of the great stuff has no use so ya can sell it...

when i ended for the first time IWD i had like 300000 gold coins and i didnt make any effort to get that amount

[This topic is 6 months old. Your reply sounds like he asked the question yesterday. What is it with you people lately? Is it really so hard to check the date posted on the original question or any of the answers?!] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited September 10, 2001).]

7. Thalantyr Guest

could he have left him in a chest and come back to them later? would that work? It worth a try if not dont save it and reload your game no harm done besides little lost of time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.