1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I beat PST today. Here's my reaction! (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Frog, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Maybe you're thinking about when Ravel asked you?
    Here is the dialog with TTO:

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you *believe* can change the nature of a man, can.
    ... I've seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil's hag heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

Belief is TNO's answer, in the end. Even if the player may not agree... heh.

[ August 30, 2002, 08:51: Message edited by: Platter ]

2. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

belief IS the true answer, love cna hcange you, but only if yuo BELIEVE the love, regret can change you, but if you only BELIEVE regret, and so on.

3. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Replying to the earlier conversation, I think (okay this sounds strange) that the drowning man is The Nameless One without any scars on. After all, later in the intro, you see the same guy admiring himself in the mirror... when he suddenly changes into the pale, scarred amnesiac we all know and love.

4. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

OMG your probably right! Just one of his many deaths. I wonder who witnessed it.

5. Platter

That is wrong.
    Don't believe me?
    Just click here.

Not to mention that it makes no sense for him to have a flashback of someone else's memory, especially when all the rest of them are from his POV.
    Not that that matters, because the above link is enough.

[ October 11, 2002, 15:18: Message edited by: Platter ]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Ok Platter with the visual proof. The question is still unanswered though. It has to have more significance than just some random hive dweller death.

7. Platter

Yea... because what possible relevance could visuals have to a video?
    What was said was wrong. I showed why. It's not like I was off topic or something.

[ October 15, 2002, 03:39: Message edited by: Platter ]

8. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Yes, but who is that particular hive deller? It's hard to dismiss it as just some random event with no significance. Maybe it's Morte's death, maybe it's nothing. No one knows.

9. Platter

All I was saying with that pic is that it wasn't Nameless One drowning, and that the memory was from Nameless One's POV.
    That doesn't tell you who it is, but it does rule out one possibility that you had just agreed with. Yet for some reason you reacted as though I should not have posted it. There's no reason I should have held off proving you wrong just because I couldn't say who it actually is.
    My apologies and a "nevermind" if that's not what you meant.

Anyway, of all the people in the flashbacks in the opening, only one of them doesn't use a "generic" animation (Deionarra). Why is it so hard for you to consider that maybe they're just random people from the thousands of lives NO has lived?
    That's just the thing; It doesn't mean the flashbacks have no significance. Their meaning simply lies in the situation rather than who it is specifically happening with;
    Being in the Blood War/Lower Planes, fighting/dieing, loving others and eventually losing them, seeing others suffer and the Torment that always surrounds you, etc.

Making guesses like "Maybe it's Morte's death" has as much point as "Maybe the aliens who abducted Elvis brought him into the Planescape universe and transfigured him into a common Sigilian and drowned him and Nameless happened to walk by and witness it." There's simply nothing to back it up - nay, not even a hint of it being the case - even if there's nothing proving it wrong.

I understand it can be fun to speculate - if there is actually a reason that it might be true. But when it's just random guesses it gets a little pointless in my book.

[ October 17, 2002, 02:25: Message edited by: Platter ]

10. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I think we're just misunderstanding eachother.

From this single sentence, I just acknowledged your findings and agree with them wholeheartedly. At least thats what I meant by it. A bit vague perhapes. Maybe thats why I found your next post confusing. It's like you thought I was still in disagreement with you.

BTW it's all just mere speculation. Truth be told I didn't put much thought into it. I was just curious if there was already a definate answer or it related to something in the story I might have missed.

[ October 18, 2002, 07:13: Message edited by: Frog ]

11. Platter

:D
    Anyway, this is my main point;

12. MasterBlaster Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"what can change the nature of a man" althought it was at least a year ago the last time i beat it, i think i said "belief" can change the nature of a man. I think....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.