1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

From Baldur's Gate to Planescape

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Niles the Ranger, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Niles the Ranger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm within a few days of beating BGII and was wondering if this is a good game to follow it up with. I have heard there are some similarities like the game engine, graphics, etc. Is this the 1st game in the series or if this is Planescape #2 what is the name of the original so I can start at the beginning. Thanks so much.

2. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hell yes. Play this game. The characters are so cool and well developed.
    No, It's the first. There isn't gonna be a second.
    :(
    Awww....

3. herf Guest

planescape is the first game in the series and the series is one game long and there are no plans to make it two games long, get my drift?

the only similarities between the games are that they use the same engine (then again sod oes bg so it doesnt really say much) and they are made by Black Isle etc

torment is more indepth and you get a certain feel for the characters and you actually care about them

the game is about an immortal amnesiac who wakes up in the mortuary and goes in search of his memories and his mortality, every time he dis he loses his memories but not really cuz we can remember for him.

when u level in your highest class (choice of 3 changeable during gamepley) you get a stat point that you can place in you stst i.e. strength dex etc

the feeling for torment is right there from the moment you look at the box, the only way i could describe it is hopelesness, the feeling is right there from the very start of the game. you start ina mortuary with zombies wlaking around and the first thing you have to do is attack a zmobie to get a key to get out of the room.

the quest layout is nothing like bg2, its more thought provoking and the majority of the game is dialogue, not hack'n slash in the least, some big baddies you will find you can defeat without raising your axe/club/dagger etc (no swords, well only one and only useableby lawful good)

the alignment of your player changes throughout the game depending on your actions, if you lie you become more chaotic, if you kill innocents you become evil, simple.

a lot of the world is fully interactive, you can talk to certain weapons and books, een your best buddy is a floating skull.

that enough for ya or do ya want more?

4. Niles the Ranger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It sounds a bit depressing. I am seriously thinking about playing it next. Is it fantasy, what time period is it set in, etc.

5. herf Guest

its fantasy, uses exactly the same engine as bg altho with different weapons and spells and shit.
    we dont knwo what time period.
    the place its mostly set in is called sigil, its a city of doors, literally. in every archway where a door could be there is a portal and each portal leads to a different place, theres portals that lead to earth, faerun, hell, evrywhere, although you only get to go to places related to the game i.e. none of the above.
    but there are lots of hints and clues about our world and faerun and shit.

its a really cool game, the best ive ever played, even the owner of this whole site says that the setting intrigues him most out of all the games he playes and he own this site so must have played a few.
    in fact, the game was so good i wrote a walkthrough for it (nowhere near completion) and its on the site along wiht the rest of the walkthroughs, all of them excellent. if you need any help then download one of them or ask on this forum.

happy tormenting

6. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31

Happy Tormenting... LOL :D But yes, IT does have one of the best game stories.

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yes, although the 'I've lost my memory' plot is well-used, the rest of the plot is original and pretty darn good, to boot.

8. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Torment is the best game they have made so far. Partying with a succubus and gith that have personality, is great. Items in your inventory that are dungeons.The ability to raise you stats(dex,con...) each level and not worrying about losing them as in BG2.Torment is the best and has the best story even if the premise has been done before.Heart of Fury mode would have been interesting in Torment.

9. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Go to mame.dk instead and download DnD: Tower of Doom, or DnD: Shadows over Mystara. Great games. :D

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I luv torment it's great and well devloped character interaction. Shame theres no sequel/prequel those nasty people at black isle

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    yeah, and the graphics are really cool and the gore and content is adult, like that pool of gore in the catacombs(sp) where all the bodies are in the pool of blood and that persons naked arse is floating on the top and.....

im really sick arent i....??

12. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Niles, this game is much deeper than BGII... It gives you much, much more. Sometimes it seems it's more like a very-very good book than "only" a game.

13. Dragoon Gems: 3/31

Everyone here gave a bunch of reasons that Torment is great so I won't repeat them. Just remember that no matter what class you'll play intelligence and wisdom are important for all of them as number of aviable dialog options depends on them.

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Don't forget the charisma!

Errr, and Friends spell ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.