1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Zombie Walking

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A thread to discuss this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_walk

Vancouver got hit with a pretty big one on Saturday. Some people would say this is just harmless socializing, and goofing off. I'm not sure myself. I got a fair share of dirty looks and such from some of they Walkers I went past. Some people, myself included, find this kinda disturbing or even outright creepy. There was also a significant police presence throughout the downtown area.

What do you guys think?

2. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It seems to be similar to SCA or renaissance festival activities that many people on these boards might enjoy participating in, just with a slightly different genre of fiction for a muse: horror versus fantasy. I can see how it would have mainstream people become a bit edgy, especially the part about the zombie mob finding new victims and eating them.

At least with the zombies the police shouldn't have to worry about people carrying longswords and battle axes like you might find at a renfaire or SCA event.

Still, given the choice, I don't think I would participate in a zombie mob myself. Now, if I were invited to play the part of an undead hunting paladin or cleric, I'd have to reconsider.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

wtf Beren? The zombie walk is a harmless geek event. There's certainly nothing sinister to be had...

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's a zombie walk, it's meant to be creepy :p

It's just harmless, public fun. Unless there is evidence that they hurt 'innocent bystanders' or vandalise property like groups of normally dressed youths do anyway, I see no harm in it.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Aik

I've heard that it often is. ;) But the way some of them were acting, and the police presence, well ... sometimes what starts off as a fun novelty can turn into something more.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If it were something in a park or some such, with plenty of coordination with the authorities beforehand, I guess it's like any other geek event. But it is a little too weird and creepy -- IMHO some hobbies (including most of mine) should be enjoyed in private. I would compare this to someone who likes a particular genre of music -- play your music at reasonable volume at the park while you're playing frisbee, but show consideration for the other people using said park by not cranking it up to 10. In the case of these zombie walks, act like a dork in and around areas where people like the same sort of thing, or book the park for a festival, but don't bother / creep out the rest of the people there. This sort of stuff could scare little kids.

martaug likes this.
  7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

That sounds like fun, but I could see how it would scare the **** out of someone who wasn't interested in participating...

8. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Big difference between this and SCA or renfaire, is that the former are held in venues that they pay to be in, and the public is charged to attend.
    A zombie walk is held in public arenas that people are already in. So long as they do not interrupt people's business or harass them, I see no real problem. If they cross that line, however, they should be asked to leave the area.

9. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    it sounds like an interesting piece of public entertainment. Hopefully they don't try to interact with bystanders, like those annoying pantomime clowns...
    How funny would it be if they mistook you for a 'victim', and started tearing up your clothes and applying make-up:D hahaha

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.