1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Zombie Fatigue

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This may be better in Sensorium or the Alleys, I'm not sure. But this is a very, very important topic.

Zombies.

Flesh-eating, gurgling, rotting, shambling zombies. Who doesn't love 'em?

Zombie movies, zombie games, zombie comics, zombie books...hell, I even love Rob Zombie. And in recent years there has been an explosion. It seems like every other month there's some new kind of zombie-themed IP getting cranked out. Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Dead Space, "Shawn of the Dead," more George Romero "Living Dead" films, the exquisite "Walking Dead" on AMC, Danny Boyle making "28 Months Later," more Resident Evil movies and games, and now there's a new game coming out called "Dead Island." Crikey.

I'd like to say that I think this is a good thing, but I think the zombie economy is starting to see some major inflation. And much like the hair metal of the 80's, the ubiquity will lead to an inevitable backlash. You can already see this with vampires thanks to that Twilight crap. As someone who loves zombies, I'm really not looking forward to seeing them become passe.

Discuss.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't think it's a specific case of becoming immensly popular, zombies have always had an interest in various stratas of gaming, movies, etc.

Quite simply though, they're an acceptable medium for unforgiveable violence whilst retaining a veneer of being politically correct ;)

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow. I have never thought of it that way. This is brilliant. :thumb:

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't forget Plants vs. Zombies! Absolutely fantastic tower defense-like game I've been playing recently.

5. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Check out High School of the Dead. :grin:

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That manga?

Also don't forget that zombie expansion for Red Dead Redemption, the zombie online mode in the latest CoD and who knows what else. Frankly, I agree with you, DR. There's a bit too much zombie related stuff coming out as of late. It's like everything needs to have zombies in it now, no matter how inappropriate it might be.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    This week, I ordered this print for my laptop:
    [​IMG]

8. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Morgoth, that's the most beautiful thing I've seen in months. :love:

@ henkie, I agree. Don't get me wrong - LOVE zombies, and most of the content that's come out lately has been really, really good (especially The Walking Dead). I just don't want everyone to start trying to cash in and make it lame.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    With zombies being mostly the object of nerd-love, wouldn't that make them lame almost by default? Or to put it in another way, most zombie movies are pretty lame by themselves without any extra effort :p

Morgoth, that's a nice cover. I wouldn't use it for my own laptop, but that's probably because I'm too boring for it ;) Also, my laptop is black, not white.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm not a zombie fan at all. I find them grotesque and am not entertained in the least by them.

A fellow a few years ago referred to my beloved city of Edmonton as "Deadmonton", in reference to what he perceived as a boring social scene (he's wrong, of course, and a raging douche, to boot, but I digest*). In any event, a group of zombie enthusiasts made a group called "Deadmonton" and they do "dead walks" and other such crap** at parades and such. Freaking weirdos.**

*Note the Family Guy reference?

** not that I am in ANY way judgemental!

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Not entertained?!

Bite your tongue, sir!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  12. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Have you watched the Dead Island trailer? Its beautifully done, yet tragic. Like Momento. With Zombies. I guess zombies will never go out of style.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Saw it earlier today. One of the best game trailers I have ever seen.

And Roger Ebert still says games aren't "art."

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

My roommate and I were talking about zombies being dead (lol) today. Complete global saturation (+rep for whoever gets the reference!).

Nobody is doing anything original in the series. I want to see something from the zombies' perspectives. Or at least not do what every Assbag of the Dead movies do. Give me experimental techno zombies. Hipster zombies using kitchen appliances. Anything but a damn group of stupid people in a mall/house/building being holed in by zombies, who then escape in a Uhaul truck of some sort.

15. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Just saw this earlier. Looks like we might get a The Walking Dead game.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150855p1.html

And actually, there are plenty of zombie movies that have 'experimental' zombies. Unfortunately, most of them are Z-budget movies that are so, sooooooo bad.

16. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I do sometimes enjoy watching zombie movies but like Saber mentioned, there's really nothing original anymore. Well, actually, most of them aren't original as the original zombie is related to voodoo. Perhaps one of the X-Files episode was the most original. They don't seem to innovate anymore, I mean those movies. The best change so far was from a stiff walking dead to hungry running dead. Sometimes it gets pretty boring, to the point that I actually loved that Prince of Persia movie didn't have zombies.

17. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Zombieland was an awesome Zombie movie.

18. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

You can never get enough zombies.

Hmm, one thing about zombies keeps bugging me. Well, one thing about Shaun of the Dead really. The first time I watched it, I could have sworn there was a scene when the gang runs away from a group of zombies, looks around, sees that the zombies are only capable of moving very slowly, they shrug and walk away casually. The DVD I have, this scene isn't in it. Does any fan of the movie know whether I am confusing two zombie products or do I just have a different version of the movie on DVD?

Sorry, for semi-hijacking your thread :D

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is why you love women :D :
    You won't get the hyped-vampire problem with zombies, because of women! Women like charismatic, smart, mysterious and slightly dangerous men who know what they want. Vampires are very suitable for that. Most Twilight-fans I know are women and I guess without women, Twilight would not have been that big a success.
    Zombies are witless and uncharismatic rotting corpses stumbling about with no idea what to do with their unlive. Women don't like that and thus the chance of zombies becoming as hyped as vampires is small. :D
    On the other hand, Playboy was a success, while not many women are very fond of it... :p

I guess zombies will get totally hyped once people start making zombie-cakes. ;)

Also, I like this one.
    [​IMG]

I still have the plan of participating in an RPG (tabletop), playing a cleric of Pelor or other sun-revering undeadbasher, who starts as a ghost that's realising his dead body has been raised as a zombie.

@Mesmero: I can't recall a scene like that, but then, it's been quite a while since I've seen it. Totally loved it, though.

20. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Case closed. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.