1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your portrait

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For those people who have portraits of characters (obviously this doesn't apply to people who have creature avatars, or people who have gems) how did you decide on your portrait? Everyone knows why Splunge took his, but for others, what was the basis? Did you take someone that may actually look like you? Did you take a portrait of what you would be like in a fantasy setting? Did you take a character who seemed to represent a race and/or class that you would play most often? Or did you just pick the coolest looking portrait of the options available? For me it was definitely the class of the character. It would have been better if it was a dwarf, but I thought weapon selection was more important than race.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The description of my avatar amounted to, essentially, "lawyer." As that's what I am and as Planescape:Torment (which is where it's from) was, IMO, the best CRPG ever, it was a no-brainer.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

This portrait just suited me better than any other and I basically made the decision without giving it much thought. It certainly does not look a character I usually play in D&D or something like that. He might look a bit like me, probably because he looks calm and pondering, but certainly not physically. I still think it's a very cool portrait, but the small size here in the forum doesn't do it any justice.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to say the portrait isn't that much different from how I look in real life, IMHO. This is subject to a couple caveats.

My hair is very long, a cultural observance on my part since I'm half Native American. It started off when I was a teenaged metal-head who had a few things to deal with growing up. Now that I'm older, I keep it braided for the most part. Occasionally I still wear it down when I'm amongst my old friends. As you can probably guess, I'm not blonde, and I certainly wouldn't be walking around in medieval armor either. ;)

I also have a moustache as well. But on the whole, not that dissimilar. When I first started posting here, I hoped to use a portrait of Sorak the Elfing from the Dark Sun novel series. That's a closer approximation. No matter anyway, I settled on the one that I felt came closest. (i.e. it just had to have the long hair :) )

5. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

This portrait is the one I thought best resembled my character who's name I chose to use on these forums...ie: Faerus Stoneslammer, a red-haired/bearded dwarf...

I actually would have preferred Baezlebub's (formerly Sir Bel's) portrait...but one can't always have what one wants...

6. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

An elf holding a dagger fits my name IMO, and I always use this avatar when I play NWN.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I thought my avatar was the coolest one available IMHO. Also it managed to fit just what I wanted: A slightly odd looking fellow. :D

Also, in a few years, when I lose some hair, I might look similar.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I bloody well hope not! :lol:

I chose mine due to all the good ones being taken and not having much time to choose before I went out at the time. :(

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well I tried to pick one who mostly resembles me, and this one does a bit considering I don't have the muscles my avatar does. And besides I'm Apeman, and that was the only portrat that closely related to nature. If only I could have Baldrak's one ;)

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There is no Sarevok Portrait so I chose the one that looked most like him.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This just seemed to fit my position as master (in my own mind of course) of the Boards O'Magick. :)

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly. It looks just like me. Really. (Except it needs a tongue-in-ckeek smilie. :p )

Actually, I think mine displays a kind of personality that I found appealing - a bit laid back and easy-going. Someone (I believe it was either Aldeth or Hacken Slash) described it as a cross between Grizzly Adams and Burl Ives - sounds pretty good to me. :D

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I chose mine because I'm multifaceted...

@Beren: long hair and moustache? Please don't tell me you have hockey hair as well...

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I chose mine because it reminds me of a druid on heroin.

Which is cool.

The idea of a druid on heroin, that is.

Drugs are bad.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The picture on your left looks like an incaffeinated loremaster or wizard suffering from Morning Syndrome and still has something paladinish about it.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I got mine by accident. I asked for another one but described it incorrectly so got this one. It looked OK so I kept it.

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

To quote Splunge:

I don't know why I chose this one. Probably because 90% of the times I play as one of the tall races I use this portrait, be it IWD, IWD2, BG, BG2, or PnP, it is still this one I most frequently use. If I am a short race? Well, if I am one, I am a halfling and use the portrait Chandos the Red have, otherwise, I am not short. Gnomes and Dwarves are not my style.

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I like dwarves and with this one an appropriate title immediately came to mind. :)

19. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

<--- actual size.

20. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Looks like a blue dude wearing a giant sombrero. 'Nuff said.

(Shut up, I know it's a myconid :1eye: )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.