1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your playing view

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Nov 6, 2001.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] This is my question. If you were playing a game with good graphic's and a great story line would you want the veiw 1/3(like in BG) or would you want it in first person(were you never see your self)?

2. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

To be honest I would have to say I need to see the whole party. I just moving around the map was a little simpler. Going diagonally can get on one's nerves fairly quickly.

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

1/3 view. I always get very disoriented in big open areas. A good reason for me not to play any of the recent MMORPGs. :p
    For some reason I like first person shooters though...

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Huh...1/3 eh. I've always refered to it as 3/4. Woops. Have to remember that.

Anyway, I definately prefer 1/3 view. In fact, it's a must. I will not play first person except in shooters. In fact, I've been pretty set into the look of BG and Arcanum and whatnot for an RPG all the way back to the days of Zelda. That's one of the few things I really have to have to get into an RPG. Great story or not, first person sucks for a CRPG.

5. Mirkwood Guest

It's called an isometric view.

IMO if the game involves you being in a party of players then it's definitely better than first person.

[This message has been edited by Mirkwood (edited November 06, 2001).]

6. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Isometric view, all the way. It's the only option possible for controlling a group of people (unless you have the illogical rule that they all stay in one straight line, as in Might & Magic), and when controlling one person you are at a disadvantage having to control things through the mouse/keyboard instead of moving exactly where you want to, so seeing all the surroundings balances that disadvantage. Also if the game is done as first person it's much harder to know your character's exact position, something that again doesn't match real life.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

First person is cool but very hard to write and then the graphics wouldn't be as good I suppose. 3rd person and RPG are almost two things that cannot be seperated. When the game is really good, I don't need to play first person however it would be cool... But it would be chaotic for when you are the main fighter you are hacking and slashing someone and you can't see the npc-mage casting a spell behind you :)

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

first person with a party sucks! anyone ever play the space hulk games? while you are trying to save one marine, another 3 are getting whammyed by genestealers! being able to see whole party at once gives me a much more 'in control' feeling

[first person in games where you are the only person is ok though, cos you only have to concentrate on your character, so don't have to keep switching]

[This message has been edited by Spudsquisher (edited November 06, 2001).]

9. I think Arcanum is 1/3 and BG is 3/4.
    But I would definitely choose 3/4 cause a first person rpg is completely wrong. Imagine that you're kicking a kobold's ass but you can't a kobold shaman summon a pit fiend behind you. You'll get your ass kicked literally with FPRPG.

10. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If BG is 1/3 and Arcanum is 3/4 then I like both of those equally. I really DON'T like 1st person- it's a big reason I didn't finish Black & White even though it had great graphics etc.

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Depends on the game i'm playing really ... for RPGs i like the 1/3 view. For others like Operation Flashpoint i so prefer the 1st person view as it offers a level of realism...

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Isometric view for a game with a party. The Might and Magic series used the first person and it was ok. I liked it better in Daggerfall because there was no party.

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually I'd choose NEITHER.

You probably never played Soulbringer - that's the view I want. I really can't describe it, my vocabulary lacks of words. Anyway, it is 3D game, but it is not 1st person view.
    I also like an AI camera following as was put in Anachronox (not lame Tomb Raider camera). It is also 3D game, but not 1st person.

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Ultima 9 was kind of like that. It is pretty cool, especially with zooming in and out.
    Zoom control would be something that I would like to see in isometric games.

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Might and Magic clearly have the best way of playing (1st person CRPG). It's cooool.

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I agree that for controlling a party, 3rd person is easier, whether 3D or isometric - and it's what I'm used to. However, for one-character games (Are System Shock and Deus Ex RPGs or FPS games?) the first person perspective gives greater immersion, and also stops you looking at the limited avatar and saying "That's not what I want my character to look like". Of course, the two games I mentioned are FPS/RPG hybrids, and some RPGers may not want that.

17. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I prefer first person if it's done in such a way that you don't feel like your vision is being cut off at the edges. Just feels more realistic.

You're right it's not practical when controlling a party, but I really don't like having total control over a party anyway.

18. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

In a 1st person CRPG it is easier to feel that you in fact are the character in stead of just controlling it like some superior higher being.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

That's true, but 1st person changes the game into a Quake3-like game I'm afraid. And it will spoil the graphics.

20. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think an isometric view is far better than a first person one. Granted, the Might and Magic series (which I like more than BG) uses a first person view, but that game focuses on hacking through horder of monsters with the plot as necessary evil. Much easier trying to control things in an isometric view, ever tried to play a strategy game in first person? I'd prefer a fully rotatable and zoomable 3d view though (won't neverwinter night be like that?)

Spudsquisher: Obviously you never got the idea with Space Hulk. You are supposed to pause the game, give orders to the terminators in pause screen (much like in BG), unpause the game, pick *one* of the terminators and control him, then pause the game again etc. Obviously, trying desperately to control five men, each of which have their own view screen, when hordes of aliens assault them from all sides is a bad idea. Don't mock a good game just because you couldn't play it. (Neither could I actually, but that was because the game was really hard, not controlling your men.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.