1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Obsessions

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Deathmage, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Simple. What are your (secret) obsessions? Everybody have a few. Random things you know a heck of a lot about. Music or authors you love.

Number one on my list is British rock band Queen. Most people who frequent the FAI should know this. I have all of their CDs sans Hot Space (even the new crappy one), and have the music neatly catalogued in my head. I also have several bootlegs including a few live shows. I know (generally) what their costumes and setlists were for each given tour period; I know which songs have been performed live and which haven't; and which versions of that song are better than others (did you know they changed the solo to White Queen every night when doing it live? The 74 Rainbow one is pretty good, but I prefer the BBC session for its quality). I also know that Freddie Mercury once said to Roger Taylor (drummer), "Darling, how do you boil an egg?" - to which Taylor replied "How the @#$% should I know?"

(Also, Freddie once sold Taylor's fur coat in order to get a taxi ride home).

Anyways, second, less homosexual, obsession: Phantom of the Opera. I've been listening to it all my life, since before I was born. I can play every single song in my head with correct musical accompaniment, and I can practically recite the whole musical in my head:

Sold! Your number sir? Thank you. Lot 665, ladies and gentleman: a papier mache musical box in the shape of a barrel organ. Attached, the figure of a monkey in Persian robes. This item! Discovered in the vaults of the theatre, still in working order... Shown here.

Sad? Yes, it is, but whatever. :p

Thirdly would be various historical periods (end of Ming Dynasty; Sengoku period in Japan; Shinsengumi, etc).

I might have more, but that's all I can remember at the top of my head. Go on, share your obsession - but keep it kid-friendly. I don't want people going "MY OBSESION ARE HAWT BLONDE CHIX WHO ARE INTO BONDAGE", etc.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm obsessed with sign language. I've been training as a communicator for the past 3 years. It started because I have deaf family and friends but when I looked around and realised that so many people still think that deaf = stupid, I got really mad about it and decided to do something.

I now teach everyone I meet little bits, just so that they can be polite.

The obsession part comes in because I practise all the time, I sifgn conversations to myself while I put my washing out and things. I'm sure the neighbours think I've flipped!

3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Wait, so silvery you are saying the neighbors have yet ANOTHER reason to think you are crazy ?!?:p

I'm obsessed with zombies ! Be it movies, books, games, whatever & now i have found these !
    http://joeq.dot5hosting.com/store/page2.html

Zombie Firearm Targets ! ! ! These are just the coolest:thumb:

4. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    DM: Need you ask? :p

(Explanation for the Rest of the World: An ongoing RP.)

Also optional objectives/quests in games. I simply have to complete those.

Nothing else comes readily to mind.

I suppose I get rather obsessive with most things I start doing, but those interests rarely outlive the completion of the task/interest at hand. I guess a lot of people are like that.

Reading might qualify as an obsession, in an obsessive/compulsive kind of way. If I start a book, I have to finish it and I never leave it half done (regardless of the topic, or whether I like it or not.)

That could count as my obsession - I like to complete things.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I wouldn't call it 'obsession'.

There a few things I really enjoy but make sure my mates don't know about (I'd get slaughtered).

* The Sharpe series (there's a new one out soon, woo!). I have the box set and have seen each episode about 10 times.

* Stargate SG1. I used to really like this and have a couple of the early box sets. I still watch it if I put the TV on and it's on, becuase I find it better to watch that most of the trash on TV.

* The fact that I visit BoM and another forum. If I don't sign in for a day or two, I start to wonder what I've missed and want to have a look - how bad is that!

Of course, my main obsession is tea. Yorkshire Tea can heal all hurts.

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I'll only list the two that will never change:
    1) Music. I always have something playing in my head (at the moment a bass riff). I like to create it, learn it and listen to it. Sometimes it even feels like I have to.

2) Star Wars. Ever since I saw the films when I was 6, I was hooked.

Also, hawt metal chix and bois who are into...erh, nevermind.

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Martaug, I like to keep things interesting for them!

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Databases. Of varying topics as long as I can understand the data presented. Complete and thorough understanding of one particular topic is defnitely not necessary.

From databases to queries. Just give me two variables(?) that narrow down the search and I'll find anything and anyone as long as it's in the database.

An update maybe later. I have many obsessions... :p

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Various things, but nothing too steady. I wash hands all the time, but other than that, nothing is so fixed.

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Star Wars. I have seen each of the original movies well over a hundred times. I play the card game from decipher. I make references to it all the time. (And I hate the new movies...)

Not sure what else; I will give it a good thinking-over and get back.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Collecting. I HAVE to collect things. Probably why I'm so into Warhammer and just started getting into clicky pet games.

I HAVE TO HAVE THEM ALL.

Imagine how POd I was when Mew was removed from the American Red/Blue games when Pokémon was new :p

I used to be terrible, I'd actually get physical and mental stress symptoms if I was unable to get something to complete a collection or if something was put in the wrong order.

I do have OCD and it's taken me years to get it manageable, lol. I'm still a compulsive hoarder, it's awful.

Other obsessions, hmm...
    Roleplaying.
    I'm quite partial to a bit of Peter Molyneux and David Draiman fangirling.
    My worlds, realms and characters. They are my chidren, I have developed each carefully and with love and detail. I would rather die than see such desecration occur upon them.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jack Daniel's

Samuel Adams

Guiness

Mrs Bruno :evil:

Not necessarily in that order.

Judging by my number of posts I'd also have to include SP.

13. martaug Gems: 23/31

So Saber & Trellheim what did you think of the book where they killed off chewie? Understand the reasoning or just flip the F out?

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Basketball... If I don't play 4 times a week at least I start to have stress buildup. It's probably because exercise tends to do that, but the only work out I like is basketball.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jaheira of course. :p

The Lord of the Rings. Several times I've read the Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings books in sequence and then started all over again the next day as soon as I've finished.

Star Wars. Not so much Star Wars in its entirety but a select few of its characters. I'm always fascinated by Anakin's fall from grace and his subsequent redemption. Yoda always commands my respect as the wise and aged warrior sage. And the clincher ... Palpatine will always be the ultimate cinematic villain for me, the combination of sheer intellect, guile, supernatural power, and an extremely evil personality is overwhelming.

A few games inspire me to literally tear it apart, explore every nook and cranny, and constantly tweak my plans so that my characters can be the very best they can be. This includes BG2 and NWN2.

Kate. A gorgeous Australian girl that I really hit it off with. Sweet and yet witty. I had to face reality that this wasn't mean to be, and we managed to part on good terms when she went back home. Trying to make this work would have given new meaning to 'trying to make a long distance relationship work'. Not a day goes by without me thinking about her. But hey ... I think I may now have something stirring on my end of things, so maybe ... *crossing my fingers* We'll see. And no, I won't be forthcoming with updates in the Relationship Rant thread. :p

Aboriginal legal issues. I feel blessed in that I'm actually passionate and enthusiastic about what I want to do for a living.

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Wrestling. I love it! Sure I ***** about what Vince McMahon is doing to his company, but it's becauase I remember how good it was and want them to make it better than they have been.

I'm a Die Hard fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Maybe I'm not "religious" about it, but I try to catch as many Leafs games as I can.

4th edition D&D. I really want to try it. I have decisions made for about 6 to 8 characters I want to try, half a dozen adventures written, and even have a few older accessories ready in case I can figure a use for them. All I need is a group of players...

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am not obsessed about anything.

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Me neither. In fact, every hour, 24/7, I devote a set time to remind myself to avoid obsessions. This "reminder period" starts precisely at 7 minutes and 15 seconds after the start of each hour, and ends 225 seconds later. I do it facing north-north-west, with my head tilted downwards at a 13 degree angle. Clothing is optional.

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Answer...
    a) That never happened *denial*. Some EU (extended universe) I consider "real" SW, some bad, rest bull. That book belongs to the last category.

b) Nothing can ruin Star Wars. Not episodes I-III. Not the Christmas Special. Not even Hayden Christensen as Anakin's ghost in Return of The Jedi DVD.

20. Silvery

Media:
    Trellheim...you're so right about the books. However, Hayden Crapstensen was the worst possible person for the films, he ruined RotJ by replacing the ghost and his over-acting ruined the films :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.