1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your most-hated location

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Runescarred, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You are definitely not meant to run into those guys until about level 4 or 5, but in BG you could run into anyone.

I remember my 10th level party getting it's butt kicked by Firkraag in my first game. I went back after Spellhold when we were level 16 or so and took him down solo with my Barbarian (and a few Heal spells from Jaheira).

What a difference a few weeks of game time makes :D

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When I 1st started playing BG, I always went for hte XP, so I would give the dwarf the Girlde of Piercing for the XP reward. After running into some of the Black Talons, I thought "Screw the XP!". :)

3. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I always thoroughly disliked the area you reach by exiting the Nashkel mines. Just a little bit to the north that party of female assassins with fireball potions ripped my party to shreds on my first run through :( When, after several (stopped counting after 6) reloads I got through them without a death I explored the area and ran into that dude that summons those mustard jellies if you give the wrong responses. Needless to say, my party, still limping from the previous fight didn't have a chance :mad: Especially with only 3 magic weapons between the 6 of them :o

4. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah, 'tis definitely not a good place for a 3 - level party to roam. If the guy will not summon them, he will start whining about your lack of interest, which is almost as bad.:D

5. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

The Nashkel Mines have stopped many a second run through of the game for me.

Not to mention that I despise the maze at the end of the game as well. Thumbsdown

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    While the mines are a bit tough for a level 1 or 2 character, they aren't so bad for a level 3+ character.
    Now the area where you come out of the mines is another story. The "special" encounters with the Amazons, and the mustard jellies is a bit too tough for the typical level my characters are at. They should have saved them for Cloakwood or afterwards.

I personally have several other things that I hate in BG1.

The first is the "invincible" wolves at the Temple east of Beregost. Invincible since I'm unlikely to have any magic weapons to slay them with beyond the dagger+1 from Candlekeep and the staff from Silkie. Assuming I kept them, as my characters may not use those type of weapons, and my party isn't fully formed yet. I'm probably using Kahleid & Jaheria, plus Monderon & Xar along with Imoen. Assuming I didn't pick up Garrick or Kagain. If the wolves appeared in the woods by the bandit hideout, I probably wouldn't complain because by then I'd probably acquired some magic weapons including magic arrows.

Another area I hate is a tie with the areas where things respawn CONSTANTLY such as the Gnome Fortress or the Firewine Ruins.

I also hate the battle in the Palace where you lose if the Dukes die, yet the Dukes get killed so easily. Worse, most disabling spells either don't work, or are area of effect spells that nail the Dukes as well. I don't get why doppelgangers don't qualify as humaniod for the hold & charm person spells. Might have helped.
    Still, I often have to reload even though my own party members rarely fall no matter how aggressively I attack the doppelgangers.

I also dislike the Sirens, but that's because of a lack of defenses against being charmed. The helmet of charm protection & Minsc's berserk are the only reliable defenses. If Protection from Evil worked like in P&P for protecting against mind affecting spells, I wouldn't whine so much. Ditto for elves being virtually immune and half-elves being extra resistant.

I dislike the areas where the passageways are so narrow the party splits up because of bad AI coding. If the AI was better so they'd follow single-file, I woudln't whine.

7. Darius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I hate Firewine Bridge. Every other area has some redeeming quality or at least isn't an utterly aggravating experience.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.