1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Heritage

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by reepnorp, Dec 13, 2003.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This might not apply to some people here, but for those of you whose ancestors came to the area you live now from somewhere else, where were they from? Myself for example, I'm a twelfth generation Canadian, but my ancestors came from Ireland. How 'bout you guys and gals?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My mothers side of the family has always lived in England as far as we can trace back. My Grandfather was a member of the Cavalry though so she travelled a lot.

My Father is Scottish but his Grandfather was Irish and that side of the family has been traced back to over 200 years.

3. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] My parents were born, raised and married in India, but then moved to Ottawa, Canada where I was conceived and born.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Polish now. Ancestors used to be Vikings, Ruthenians (don't confuse with Russians) and some Tartarians later, in 17th century (Mongolians from Crimean Khanate). Closer to present times, there's been some Czech and German element. If I get things right, there's also a Byzantine drop, but that would have to be ages ago, like 11th century.

Can't imagine the mix? See the picture in my profile.

Edit: Forgot Lithuanian, right. I have some. Seems it's popular now :lol:

[ December 15, 2003, 15:56: Message edited by: chevalier ]

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    oh god not chev about to start going on about he could be an empreror, he was going on and on and on (a bit like a duracel batterys ;) ) about it last night

[ As per PM, can you please start capitalizing properly, ALL the time? ] - Beren

[ December 14, 2003, 03:27: Message edited by: Beren ]

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My father's parents both emigrated from Russia/Poland (the border was a bit loose then) to the US in the early 1900's. My mother's father's family emigrated from Vienna to the US in the late 1800's and my mother's mother's family came from, I believe, the Ukraine.

Funny thing is, a lot of people say their first impression of me (physically) is that I am Italian.

7. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

My mothers side is from scotland. McNaught. My dad's side is from England with a bit of Irish in the mix. Moore. I'm from Australia, and dare anyone to say that I'm not :grin: .

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ireland, Scotland, and a very small amount of Aboriginal - or so I have heard.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ah! Everywhere. I'm a first generation Kiwi.

On my mothers side first. My grandmother's family lived in Norway for as long as any records date back, My grandfather is more of less the same with England, apart from a bit of African from way way back, acording to ladgends (or sort). To explain more about that some explorer from a few centuries back was in Africa somewhere, can't remembert exactly where, and came across a native trib thingy. The chief's wife had just had two twins, which was considered bad luck, so the explorer offered to take one away, back to England.

My fathers side is a bit more complicated. My grandfather's family came mainly from Ireland, although has some blood from the different areas in the UK. My grandmother is the real complicated one. As far as she can tell, one of her grandmothers was from England, and grandfather from Scottland. From her father's side (so my great grandfather) she has blood from all over. Germany, France, Hong Kong and everywhere including a bit of blood from the Norwiegn royal family.

And to make matters worse, my mother was born in Botswana (sp?), which is in central-southish Africa, my father in Singapour, which is in South Asia, me in Norway, and then we all live in New Zealand.

So as you can see, I have a confused family heritage

10. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm 4th generation Canadian.

My fathers side of the the family came here from France after a military indescretion where a group of soldiers were killed. As far as we know Couteret isn't what our last name is.

On my mother side I am half dutch and half english. Not about anything interesting there except for some of the artifacts from the Russian revolution that led to to building of the Stanford Peace Tower at Stanford University.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Half Aboriginal from my mother.

A mix of Jewish and English from my father.

I guess you can figure out that I'm not blonde in real life, hehe. I insisted on picking a portrait that had a long haired male in any event.

12. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I'm not sure where exactly my DNA came from. Given my blue eyes, blond hair and propensity for getting sunburns, it is safe to say my ancient ancestors came from Northern Europe or Britain.

My family has been in the United States for a long, long time. My father's side dates back to before the War of Independance.

13. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Father's side: From a town ~500 km south of here, for at least 10 generations.

Mother's side: My grandmother is half finnish, grandfather from a town 250 km south. Don't really know further back than that.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Man, that was a joke. I bet there's a few thousand people more closely related to that Emperor than I am and he was from the Macedonian dynasty that was displaced by the Comnenes, who were displaced by the Angeloi, who were displaced by the Paleologoi :rolleyes:

Yea, and there would be several princes, like the spawn of Rurik who ruled those Ruthenian duchies (now Russia, Ukraine etc) and the Tartarian guy who was a Murza's (prince's) grandson, plus some powerful lords from 11th century on, and some other ancient clan but I'm not even remotely close to inheriting anything (an ex-commie country, anyway) ;)

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    As far as I know, one side of my family is very English as far back as they go, while the other side are Irish, and then there are German Jews, and allsorts dotted about. So a bit of a mixture :)

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    As far as I can read back in my line and from what my parents tell me, my lineage has only ever been English.

I'm a son of Ol' Blighty through and through :D :cool:

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I am fourth generation Canadian but going back far enough my ancestors are predominently English with a few Scottish and Irish mixed in.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] 50% cheese, 50% tulips.

You do the math. :p

19. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Bloody heritage
    Betrays my name.
    A Son of Kings,
    Without a home;
    Till bloody heritage
    I reclaim.

My family has travelled about 70 miles from its ancestral Irish seat in about 700 years. Does that count?

@Baezlebub;

McNaught is a shortening of McNaughtan (the precise spelling isn't important, it's from spoken Gaelic and few Scots could read when it was changed). Just for laughs, take a look a the guy in the centre of the photo here and compare it to your photo in the SP members photos. Can you see any genetic similarities? :)

[ December 15, 2003, 04:04: Message edited by: Bluin ]

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Haven't yet got around to fully investigating but AFAIK my whol family on both side as far back as can go were all born in Australia so I guess going way back, we'd be of English descent. A bit boring if you ask me so I'm trying to find out if there's more hidden back there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.