1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your greatest gaming experiences

Discussion in 'Playground' started by hannibal555, Nov 12, 2006.

1. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Maybe it's a thing of getting older ^^, but
    nowadays I seldomly get thrilled by any game, and I still buy a few now and then, some are even entertaining (like my last purchased game Heroes of Might and Magic V).
    Here I will list games I forgot time while playing them ("hmm it's 4 in the morning already...") or hardly could resist to rush a game instead of exploring just to follow the story more quickly.

well here's the historical order I played them ^^:

1) Zelda - A Link to the Past
    Ah the good old SNES times :) . From today's view a simplistic game, but I can't describe what good times I had with that gem

2) Diablo
    Yes I know, some of you maybe don't like it this much, but I have to admit that I got terribly hooked with it

3) Baldur's Gate II
    I badly wanted to go home while in school/work
    just to continue...

4) Planescape Torment
    Best story in a game ever,period

Of course there have been many other great games, but these are the ones that I remember best.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That's mostly old games for me, that no one plays one more, including myself. ;)

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I always get a little jazzed when I do better than I've ever done before on a particular game.I can still remember a game of the original Civilization that I played in 1994 or 95. I was playing an earth map with Mongolia. I had so dominated the world that when my ship arrived on Alpha Centauri in 1988, I had over 98 percent of the world's land mass under my control. I don't remember the number of cities, or the actual population, but I remember that I had reached an unprecedented level of dominance. I've never felt that dominant since then...

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Nothing for me comes close to D&D Warriors of The Eternal Sun on Sega Genesis.

So many sleepless nights playing it... and the music was simply kickass.

Think I'm gonna play some more right now.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Final Fantasy 2(4) & 3(6): I played the beginning of FF2 over and over again, renting it from Blockbuster. When FF3 came out I nabbed it as quick as I could and enjoyed it thoroughly (though I never bothered with the final battle there either). Thus began my love affair with the FF series, but then she decided to start seeing other consoles. :bad:

Warcraft 2: Beautiful strategy game. I played the demo for months and couldn't get enough of it, eventually buying the game and finding it even better. This is where I really started liking strategy games.

Ogrebattle - March of the Black Queen: Another strategy game I couldn't get enough of. Every time I rented it from Blockbuster I asked them if I could buy it and was turned down. MotBQ was a limited edition game because some company bought the people who made it and shut down production. Which made me very pissed when I went there to rent it one time and they no longer had it. :mad: But I got it years later off of Half.com, so...meh. :p

Starcraft: The first strategy game where I could get the map editor to RUN (probably more to do with the comps than the games, considering I managed to get the WC2 map editor to run many years later). And on top of that a very engaging story. I was positively livid when when Arcturus Mengsk...well, I'll not spoil it, but let's just say I was pissed. And that twist in the Zerg campaign was either shocking or cheered (I don't remember anymore if I saw it coming, but I do know there was a lot of emotion on the reveal). Firmly cemented strategy games as one of my two favored genres.

Final Fantasy 7 & 8: Continuing my love of FF, now on the PC, until they sold out to Disney for 9 (AKA the whole thing seemed designed for toddlers), and then cut from the PC for 10+. FF was good while it lasted, but I'm not buying a PS, period. I don't like being railroaded.

Baldur's Gate (original): A D&D cRPG? I could scarcely believe my ears! Disappointed at first, but grabbed me by the RP the second time around. Played through it so many times I've lost count.

Morrowind (ES3): I had expected it to be a mere dalliance to take my mind off of BG for a little while so I could come at it fresh, but it's really taken off for me. A good single-character RPG is something I've always dreamed about, and all those third-person action-RPGs are too much action and not enough RP. But Morrowind's first-person perspective and character depth (so long as you ignore the repetitive, and sometimes even stereo or echo voiced greetings) really sets you right in the character and makes the world come alive around you. I've jumped more than once at a kagouti or nix-hound that came at me from the side or back during a storm (drowns out the music change), particularly if their first strike coincided with thunder or lightning. :mommy:

Partway (30-40%?) through my second run with four more planned. Tribunal seemed claustrophobic for me, and is now NOT part of my game, but while I initially didn't like the snowstorms of Bloodmoon (same deal as ash storms, which continue to annoy me, plus all the white is hard on your eyes when you've got constant Night Eye items), the super-strong monsters rekindled the "rabbit mode" (run a little ways, look around, run a little farther, look around) from the beginning of the game, making it simultaneously nostalgic AND a new adventure to explore.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

old man ;) :p

For me, it'd have to be BG1, BG2 and PS:T. KotOR comes close but doesn't quite cut it.

Oh, and Double Dragon and Contra back on SNES I think it was? :D

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Half Life - So many memorable moments.

Baldurs Gate 2 - Class game, just class. I played and completed this 2 or 3 times before I got the Original, so I have 'really' got into that game like I did BG2.

Medieval: Total War - What a mammoth undertaking that full campaign is! I started it sooo many times and ended up giving in each time. I remember the first (and only) time I finished it, I felt so chuffed at myself. Class

Not sure what else. I used used to play bizarre games that not many others played. Black Moon Chronicles (I'm still sure that this inspired the Total War series), Caesar 3, Heroes 3. I also used to love AoE2, but it doesn't really have any memorable moments - just an addictive multiplayer.

8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Fallout 2

Icewind Dale (actually skipped school for this...)

Baldurs Gate II

Half-Life

Planescape: Torment

Age of Empires II

Diablo II (what a lousy game this is... only reason I played it as seriously as I did twice, is because I got addicted. Never again!)

I hope that's it...

9. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Damn I wrote a long post and closed the window by accident :bang:

GC:Tales of Symphonia, Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker

PC: BGI&II, Red Alert, Commander Keen 1-5

Nintendo 64: Lylat Wars, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Duke Nukem 64.

10. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Starcraft : First RTS I played.
    Diablo II : Another game by Blizzard. Stupid but addictive.
    Baldur's Gate II : I remember I lived more than one week without getting out of home. I forgot to eat, bath, go to toilet... :eek:

11. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh if I could remember all the NES games I've cherished. Final Fantasies weren't even available around here :cry: But I had some terrific times playing Gauntlet II (the voice saying all those "Red Elf needs food. Badly! was great :D ), The Legend Of Zelda and Zelda II.

Friends of mine had C64's. Ultima V was fantastic, but I thoroughly enjoyed Bubble Bobble as well and other games but that was loong time ago that I can't remember much of them. Oh yeah, Archon was one of the greatest games ever.

Ultima VII blew my mind, but other games like Civilization got me sitting in front of a computer for hours on end.

Then there were such classics as Warlords, Master of Orion, UFO, Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic II and III. Warcrafts I and II were fantastic and so was Spacecraft.

Fallout I and II are definitely something to mention about. I liked the plot and the mood in Fallout I better.

Final Fantasy VII is worth mentioning from PS games, haven't played much other PS games.

Of FPS's and their like I'd have to mention Wolfenstein 3D, Doom I and II, System Shock and Ultima Underworld and of course, Half Life and Counter Strike.

X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Descent were all great games at that time. I liked Elite and Frontier: Elite II.

And of course: Nethack, one of the most addictive games in the world. Diablo shmiablo. It's only a graphed up, "real-time" version of Nethack, even though I liked Diablo as well.

That's about it, I'd think, but there are many more games that I've enjoyed immensely, but which I can't bring to my mind what they were.

edit: And what on earth was I thinking not putting BG and BGII into this list! They're so high up there on my list that I guess I thought that it's so obvious that they're the most greatest gaming experiences! Ever!

12. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Morrowind. At first I didn't get it; I didn't think it really had a story. But there are stories everywhere, like entering one cave and finding two mages who were summoning scamps to gain entrance to the tomb of a great king. Or the daedra worshippers who were slaughtered by their masters. Or the holy relic hidden in a sunken tower. And the graphics are still nice; not so much up close, but get a good vantage point and you can see for miles. Excellent mod community, too.

Torment. It's a much more mature game than most; not in terms of gore and sex, but in the adult philosophical topics that occur. Also, there's the occasional bout of rampant silliness. And the ending... awesome. FFG's final speech... I used to be addicted to BG2, before I got Torment two years ago. Now BG2 doesn't feel good enough, and I haven't played it fully since.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto. So funny. Probably the funniest game I've ever played, although it's proper British humour, so I wouldn't expect most people on the boards to get it. :p Also, being a huge giant for part of the game, picking up enemies and sticking them on your spikes to be eaten later is awesome fun.

Frets On Fire. Guitar Hero for the PC, but free and with more songs, and the ability to make your own, and you play with the keyboard (held like a guitar...). Been playing it solidly since I got it weeks ago. Guitar Hero songs can be ripped to work in it too, and Iron Man by Black Sabbath is such fun!

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

System Shock 2 - This is the first FPS I really liked! Awesome stuff...Doom and Wolfenstein 3D don't count...when you are 8 you don't know any better...

Prince of Persia - That's right, the original old one...this was soooooo friggin cool back then! I kept playing it and playing it and playing it...

BG2 - I have played this game more than 75 times and I plan on playing it some more for another good year or two atleast...oh...this is perfection!

FFX - First final fantasy game I every played...and BOY was it great!! Got me started on all the other final fantasies...

Golden Sun (GBA) - This is the first RPG I ever played...which was back in 2000 I think...brilliant game...played it over and over and over too...

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

First and foremost, has to be Tetris. Nothing else can be said.

FFVIII- My God. The first final fantasy I played, all those years ago, and it blew me away. A total addict. even now, and a raging Quisty fanboy *drools* Even got teh soundtrack on my iPod. The ragnarok theme is an awesome tune, Liberi Fatali rocks, and the song that plays in Winlot makes me cry.

BG2- Duh

Red Alert 2- Giggle. Such fun. Tanya still rocks.

Medal of Honour Allied Assault- For the fun of the multiplayer, and the campaign. Can't find a copy of this game anywhere, so I'm playing Call of Duty instead, but it's not the same.

GTA Vice City- On my Xbox, for the moment I realised I was driving Starsky and Hutch's car, listening to Rhapsody and doing mega jumps.

Tomb Raider- Oh Lara, sweet Lara...

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Best gaming experiences I have had I got from older games.

1 - the Secret of Monkey Island. Hooked me badly.
    2 - Quest for glory series
    3 - Fantasy Empires , sort of a d&d strategy game.
    4 - BG2
    5 - Ultima 7, best rpg ever made.
    6 - Betrayal at Krondor. second best rpg
    7 - The Last Ninja (C64 game)

Yeah I am pretty old

16. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    How is it possible that I forgot Betrayal at Krondor! :doh:

Others I didn't remember at first are Dune II - Battle for Arrakis, Command & Conquer and of course Grim Fandango.

Syndicate was pretty rough stuff back in the days...

Then there was Cannon Fodder, Lemmings and Scorched Earth...oh the memories keep flooding back...

17. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

1- The Baldurs Gate Saga, play through atleast once a year.

2- Diablo 2, heavily addictive but having my characters deleted after every 90 days was enough to put me off.

3- Rome TW, the first epic scale RTS, could do with better AI though. Barmy have you tried Medieval 2 yet or Rome TW: Realism?

4- SW: Battlefront, addictive mutliplayer and the first chance to play SW battles on a fairly epic scale, number 2 sucked though.

I have a feeling I'd be thrilled by Battle for Middle Earth II and SW: Empire at War but I'll wait until I have a better system to play.

18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, my first experience was a Coleco home console that was a rip-off of Atari's Pong - you also had handball, jai-alai, racketball, etc.

Then I we were staying at the Don Cesar hotel in Florida, and I wandered into a side-lobby and saw...SPACE INVADERS. :eek:

In the arcades I got hooked on Joust, Berzerk ("Stopped the humanoid - Stopped the intruder!"), Tempest, and Battlezone.

At home, we 'upgraded' to another knock-off, the Sears VCS (aka Atari 2600) and I always enjoyed Adventure...

On the pc?
    Zork, for being among the first to take a story and put me INTO it,
    Ultima, for trying to put a PnP D&D session onto my PC,
    Pool of Radiance, for getting pretty darn close,
    Starflight, for letting me explore a massive, rich galaxy with one helluva story,
    Pirates!, for similar openness and letting me vicariously be Douglas Fairbanks,
    Falcon, for letting me fly the unfriendly skies,
    Tetris, for being simple enough to insinuate itself directly into my hindbrain so I could play while asleep, :p
    Minesweeper, for similar attributes but being pervasive enough I could play *anywhere* while waiting for a print job to finish/a webpage to load/etc,
    Star Control, for mating Asteroids-style action and a 'save the galaxy from the evil invader' storyline,
    X-Wing, for letting me tell R2 to repair the shield deflector before the photon torpedoes,
    Mechwarrior, for taking my other RP love and giving me 8 types of giant robots to plod around and blow each other up,
    F-19 Stealth Fighter, for letting me do all the stuff in Falcon, plus get away without being seen,
    Populous, for letting me play god and drown all those pesky heathens, ;)
    Civilization II, for showing again that Sid Meier really doesn't understand the concept of 'finite free-time' :D
    Jedi Knight, for giving me a frickin' lightsaber (and Force Choke :evil: ),
    Baldur's Gate, for dragging CRPGs outta the campy 'b-movie' phase and bringing back a professional storyline,
    Privateer, for letting me be Han Solo instead of Luke Skywalker and fly where I *want* to,
    Hardwar, for much the same, plus all the 'yankee trader' fun of Elite, plus buying up property in MisOp...and thanx to player mods, set up industry of my own, and hire goons to fly for me,
    System Shock 2, for nothing else but "Hhhhee-ello hakkkerrrrr" :eek:

Um, I could go on, but Tal will begin to complain about a sudden loss of storage space... :rolleyes:

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Greatest would probably be Diablo, simply because it was such a new experience for me. I don't think I could stand it now, though.

Next would be BG2, then System Shock 2.

20. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I forgot two games in my post.

First one is GTA 3. This game is a revolution.

Second is RA2. I like playing commies. :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.