1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your first computer

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gothmog, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I hope this subject wasnt discused before...

Anyway, i'm wondering when did you guys first own a PC. No consoles count, just PCs (not Player Character ;) ).
    And what OS did you have on it?

I got the first one sometime in 1993. It was miraculus. Everyone from the street went to have a look at it. I remember i felt so proud. Its not it was the only one but it was one of the first ones where i lived then.
    IIRC it was pentium already. The first one naturaly. It was normaly running on 20Mhz... but check this out... i could boost it by pressing a button on the box to 40Mhz!!! A real monster :lol:

And i had DOS on it. Dont know what version or anything else... i was only 8 or 9 years old then.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The first PC that my family owned was an 8088. Before that we had an Adam. The first computer that I had that was solely mine was a 286. I would say that the 8088 was purchased in the early 80s and that I probably inherited the 286 in the late 80s shortly after the 386 came on the market.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    '89 or '90, sort of. 8086 commonly known as XT. No hard disk, 5.25'' floppy, Hercules graphics, amber only screen. No sound, not even a PC speaker. It was heavier than my head in mornings and slow.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

At the beginning of second millenia ( :p ) I got my first PC. Wasn't even very good, but then I didn't know very much of computers. It had 500 MHz Celeron (****), and TNT2 graphics card. OS was, what else?, win98. It used to sin and crash every second hour and I often had lustful thoughts of hammering it to little pieces, but then a greater wisdom showed me the Way; a good kick the rear helps. Thus was the evil vanquished once again.

Then I got a new comp :D

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn’t get my first home computer until 1997. I had always used them at work, but I just didn’t really need/want one at home until then. It was AMD 166, 32MB, 2GB hard drive – nothing special, but not bad at the time.

6. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I got my first and only computer in 2000. It's a HP Pavilion 566 celeron, running windows 98. I'm suprised the thing still works, after all the things I did to it :lol:

7. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My first computer was an old Macintosh, all in one piece, black and white screen, that my dad brought from work one day. (must have been in the late 80ies) Man, I spent entire days playing Lemmings on it with my cousins, the memories...

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Apple II+, running whatever Apple's pre-Mac OS was, with a 6502 chip, 48K memory, a 5.25" floppy disc drive, green monochrome monitor. You essentially either loaded a pre-made program or wrote your own program in Basic, unless you were a true geek and could program in the 6502 machine language. (BTW, for those who are nostalgic, this chip was used by the Atari 800 and 1600 computers and the Commodor Pet, as well.)

This ancient history took place in 1982 or so. Any of you who were not born then, please do not rub it in. Thanks.

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I got my first Pc 1996, it was a P166 Mhz, MMX with an onboard graphic card. I still have it and use it, if I have to type something or if I want to play my old Snes games :D

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I guess I used my dads PC (which he had for his business) for a gaming machine in early 90'. That was before all the pentium stuff and I guess if I should give it a number it was a 33 mhz. IBM business PC if I remember correctly.

I was in my NES days that time until my nephew came for a visit with some strategy game. He installed it, I took a look and saw him explore lands, build square colored cities and build roads and irrigation. You guessed it, it's the game that made my PC gaming too what it is now: Civilization :thumb:

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mmmh, must have been that Olivetti M24.
    Somewhere in the mid 80's. Started my passion for Fantasy Games with playing Sierra's 'King's Quest'.

12. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Intel 486 100 Mhz, 16 Mb of RAM, 512 Kb S3 graphic card and Windows 3.1
    Got it in 1995 :spin:

[ June 26, 2003, 15:36: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

13. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

1983, the Sinclair Spectrum. DMC, please pass the Geritol. ;)

Here's what this proto-home-computer looked like. The Sinclair Spectrum

I believe mine was fluourescent blue. To make it work, you connected it to your television and an audiotape recorder. Games were generally purchased as a few pages of code that you typed in yourself and saved on the audiotape.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    My first copmputer... ah, those were the days. I bought it used from a relative of as relative... It was in 1994 or 1995, I think. It was a pentium, I have no idea of the mHz:es... It never really worked. It had both DOS and the "miraculous" Windows 3.1.... :/

Those were the days. I still miss Paintbrush... so much better than Paint... :D

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I remember Paintbrush. Still got it on the old comps, lol.

Hmm, absolute first one, a 1987 Epson Equity. I think it only had a few kilobytes of RAM, not even an 8086 processor, no hard drive, no video, no sound card.

First gaming one was a much older IBM AT that my dad brought home from work. It actually had a hard drive and Windows 1.0! Who remembers that?

16. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

First one? Must have been about 1981-1982 that my family got a TI 99-4A. It was mostly used for gaming with the game cartridges, but by attaching an audiocassette recorder I could write programs in BASIC and save them as audio signals. It must have been running some version of DOS. That was when I began my lifelong career. :)

The first one I bought on my own was a 16.67MHz 286 w/ 2MB RAM, and a 20MB HD. It ran DOS and Windows 3.1.

Gosh, I must really be getting old!

17. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

My first comp was a 486 with 33 mhz and 8 mb ram. We bought it used from a friend sometime around 1994, and it came with lots of games. I still miss X-Wing, both Indy games and the first game I bought with my own money: Worms!

18. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

An Osbourne running CPM in 1982-83. 5MHz. 64kb memory, 5-1/4 drive. I feel OLD :(

19. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, my (or my family's) first computer was 486 with 25 mhz (I thought that it is far too fast :D ). We got it in 1994. I played Tetris and other arcade games with it. And, of course, drawing with paintbrush was great.

20. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My first computer was a 386(18 MHz and if you pressed the turbo button it was on 40 MHz). My father bought for my brother(because he broke his arm) but I palyed too. This happened in 1993 IIRC. Then a 486, a Pentium 1(I still have this one), a Pentium 3 and now a Pentium 4 - 2,4GHz.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.