1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your first BG character/party

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Baronius, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Playing Baldur's Gate first time had a special feeling, at least for me. You did not know the world neither anything in it, you were alone. The excellent feeling of exploring. (...and horrible feeling of having been killed by enemies in 5 seconds)

What does your first character and party look like? What abilites did the protagonist have? What NPCs did you pick up?
    Were you cautious?
    How often did you reload savegames? :D

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was a fighter. With profitencies (sp?) in bows and large swords.

My party was:

Khalid
    Jahiera
    Montaron
    Imoen
    Xsar

And I struggled :rolleyes: . ALOT of reloads :D

3. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well It's really too long ago for me to remember what my first character and party was, except that it took me about two days (real time to learn enough about how the game system, even worked, at the time I I never even HEARD of the abbreviation D&D so as you can imagine it was quite a learning curve indeed.

As for character, my first one was probably Fighter and I imagine most people in my position would have picked the same, and as for npcs, they were generally the first ones you tend to run into, like Imoen, Jahiera, Khalid, Ajantis, Minsc, Montaron, Xzar and Edwin, these were the first ones I seem to recall ever playing with, and I didn't even know what Thac0 and ac was at the time and thought that the higher the better, :lol: I was almost litterally the epitome noobs the avatar even, of course it didn't take long to find out about the armour and Thac0 situation, and I had the character movement problems where they seemed to stand there as if feebleminded no matter what I did, so hows that for a warm welcome into the fire?

Edit: Damn Morsmordre beat me to it ;) well I was the exact same as him party and character wise, and I also had to put up with the frustration of 2 minute melees with level one fighters, the alternative been getting my arse handed to me on a plate by characters like grey wolf and those Raven Knights (?) in Nashkel that exploded on death, I never managed to beat those guys...

4. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I, unfortunately didn't play BG until after I'd played BGII. So I had a lot of knowledge I shouldn't have. And since I was such an avid BGII fan, and generally tend to play good aligned parties, I went ahead and used the party that BGII kind of assumes everyone did.

Imoen
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Minsc
    Dynaheir

As for the PC, I believe I was a Paladin. Man, after playing BGII, BGI is TOUGH to get through. The game engine is so weak, comparatively. I was also pretty mad at not having kits, or anything like that. Ah well, BGTUTU is my friend! :)

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The very first time I chose a thief and I completed it with Me, Kivan, Edwin, Shar-teel, Skie and Minsc ;d

I found it really hard the first time, I started picking pockets etc in the tavern in candlekeep and that guard kept killing me, I kept buying different weapons off Winthorp and I just couldn’t kill him, took me ages to figure out what I was doing wrong. Eventually I got the hang of the game and completed it in like a year :wave:

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Dwarven fighter. With Imoen, Khalid, Jaheria, Minsc and Dynaheir in my party. I got to the Palace where Sarevok was gonna be announced as Duke after 255 (in game) days. But I never figured out that you had to protect one of those two so I never completed it with that party. I had great fun though. Absolutely the most fun. Everything was new, and I didn´t have internet so I had to find out everything for myself. I wish I were there again.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Paladin. 18/00, 13, 12, 12, 18, 18. I didn't even know how modifiers worked when I rolled that ;)

Immy, Jaheria, Khalid, Xan, Kivan.

8. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I played a Paladin my first time also, I think I had 18/00,18,18,3,18,18 :) I had to reroll when everyone on SP game me **** about the 3 INT :p I must have spent about two playing days just inside of Candlekeep :(

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My first game through was with a fighter with pretty crappy stats, I had no real clue to what the different stats except what it said in the manual. I thought you got more XP or something if you had a high int and things like that so I had a very unmin-maxed character. High strenght though. My party was mostly: Jaheira, Khalid, Ajantis, Minsc and Dynaheir, hmm is there room for Imoen there? I am pretty sure I had her too. I really had no clue about npc's and such and teneded to pick up everyone who crossed my path cause I thought you more or less ahd to.

10. Baronius

Trying BG first time was a pleasant experience for me. My friend told me by phone that he has BG!! Although I have read a lot about BG in different magazines, I was not very interested, and that time, I often disappointed in games. So I said that it was not important me to try.

In spite of this, later, we installed it and started character generation. We did not check any manual or anything which gives advice in that, we just did it. We did not know anything about the abilites, we used common sense (my Necromancer had 15 Int!) when allocating points.
    I had heard that BG is a very hard game, and the Easy mode gives too little XP, so I chose Normal mode (several weeks later, when I finished the game, I was playing in 3rd difficulty(True AD&D), and I have been using that until now).
    We saved games after each gibberling-death! :lol:

BG have become my favourite computer game. There are others which are among my favourites, but I think I can say: it is my favourite computer game. (Certainly it is not a question for me that it is the best CRPG ever)

11. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I was only starting DnD games at that time, so I made a fighter, 'cause they can stand their ground and can use most of the items.

And yeah, it really is a special feeling playing something for the first time. :)

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

The first time I played BG was after it was just released, and I actually don't remember things like abilities and such.

My first character was Pandora, a half-elf fighter/rogue/mage. This was probably the worst class choice I could have made, but I didn't know better at the time. If I remember correctly, Ajantis, Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan and Imoen were in my party.

I would like to forget the first time I played BG, for it was rather unsuccesful, even though I finished the game. The second time was more enjoyable for me.

13. Terelya Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My first character was a half elven bard but I got killed a lot of times so the game stopped at Nashkel... Though I have to say I didn´t had much experience with D&D games then so it took me awhile to learn the rules.

The next time I chose to be a ranger instead and then it went a little better. At least I didn´t have to reload as many times as the first... :) I also knew more about the rules then.

When I got to the end of the game, I had Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir in my party.

14. Baronius

As far as I remember, my first party: Necromancer (protagonist), Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron, Xzar. During the game, I picked up Ajantis if I remember correctly, I don't know who was replaced with him though.
    While playing BG first time, I did not know how to memorize spells, in fact I didn't know that they can be memorized; somehow I thought that the spells my wizard had (few 1st level ones) can be cast only once, no matter how idiocy this sounds.
    I realised the memorization option after exploring a lot of areas and playing the game for relavitely long time! :lol:
    The reason is certainly the lack of information: as I have written in my previous post, I (and my friend) had not read ANY manual or such.

15. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Lets see what i remember... hmm...

Female Human True Neutral Fighter with pretty crap stats. Took along Imoen, picked up Xzar, Montaron, Khalid and Jaheira, then ditched Xzar and Monty for Minsc and Edwin :eek: , saved Dynaheir, had to kill Edwin, went to Cloakwood, changed Khalid and Jaheira for Yeslick, picked up Quayle when I came to the Gate, and finished with that party. Or maybe I'm mixing up different parties. Whatever.

16. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

First ever party, I played a mage. I knew very little about D&D, but I heard mages were supposed to be really powerful. Oh boy, was I ever wrong.

I didn't even know how to change the marching order in my party, so my mage was always leading the charge (I wasn't well versed in how to change formation either), so in the Nashkel mines, he kept charging headlong into Kobolds who gleefully picked him off with arrow. Frustrating stuff. Eventually I got Minsc, but I waited too long to rescue Dynaheir, so I was stuck right outside where she was in the Gnoll stronghold, really weak/low on potions/health, etc., but if I rested ONE more day, my 15 days were up and Minsc would attack me. I stopped playing after that.

Next time I took a paladin and it was MUCH easier.

17. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Oh yeah, the Paladin. A mighty class, what can I say... It was my first pass-through...

18. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Silly me collected and wore silver and gold rings etc.
    Thought they were magical :confused:
    My fighter, Imoen, Montaron, Xzar and Edwin ended their adventure down in the Nashkel Mines, thinking the game was too hard to complete.

It took some months before I laid my hand on it again, but then I realized the real art: RPing ;)

19. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

BGI was my first CRPG, and my first character was an elven ranger. I took everyone I first encountered into my party - so imagine my surprise when the Zhents and the Harpers in my party started having it out with each other. (At that time, I didn't know who they were or why they were enemies.)

20. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I used a fighter and by the end of the game my party consisted of Minsc, Yeslick, Kivan, the theif dude thats hunting Wyverns and Dynaheir.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.