1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your feelings about Saddam's execution

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Shoshino, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    This thread was inspired by radio 2 in the UK, they went to cities and asked people their feelings about saddam's execution.

MODS go ahead and delete this if you think its stupid.

this isnt intended to be a debate, just post quite simply, how you feel about the events that took place on the morning of the 30th december.

[ January 02, 2007, 16:14: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My feelings? I haven't watched the video and I don't intend to. I know Saddam has done much worse to thousands of people, but no one deserves hanging. My sense of justice is not appeased by this act. My sense of justice is somewhat hurting. I wish this could have not happened. Hope I have answered your question.

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think it just martyred him... terrorism will not be stopped by executing Hussein. Of course, not killing him doesn't help either, so it is a lose-lose situation.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Saddam dead? Okay.
    By hanging? ... just how bloodthirsty are they?

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Bastard deserved what he got. If only it had been done 20 years before those come-thousands of people would still be alive today.

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    It's like killing a single drug dealer, what's the difference (even when he DID deserve it.)? A new one is going to take his place and his buddies take their revenge.

But really, meh, I don't give a crap. Atleast the guy's gone now.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It seemed more symbolic than anything else -- there wouldn't be very much difference in Iraq regarding the long run as to whether Saddam lived or died, aside from increased violence for a time. Iraq isn't going to "move on" any time soon given the current situation, even if there is a (right) feeling of justice after Saddam's execution.

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I have no problem with it; I think the death sentance is more humane than a life of solitary confinement. It probably won't lower any levels of terrorism though.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    OK, this is the direct answer: Saddam got what he deserved - the guy was a brutal tyrant and would have never given a second thought if it had been somone else dangling from the rope. But the context in which it occurred made it an absolute farce. The American government proved that it was no better than ____ (just fill in the blank with the desired answer).

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What's the point? Did killing him change anything? Was anything truly accomplished by his death? Just seems like another monumental waste of time and energy to me, seeing as we've diverted time and resources into an action that fails to remedy the situation at hand. Say what you want about justice, but it is largely an intellectual luxury right now in Iraq when the focus should be on the survival needs of the Iraqi people.

11. nunsbane

nunsbane

He chose to forfeit his life through his own actions. But really, I don't give a damn. *People kill people* and they always will. Why should anyone care about such a worthy victim as Saddam?

Allowing Saddam to live also fails to change or remedy the situation in Iraq. What his death does remedy is the tens of thousands of dollars which would have been wasted to sustain his worthless hide on an annual basis.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Don't care. This means nothing.

13. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Disgust.

14. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree that it was a lose:lose situation. Though I do think he should have been executed, if he was allowed to live what kind of a message is being portrayed? I doubt his execution will do anything to even start resolving the troubles in Iraq but I do think it is a warning to other dictators. The leaders of Iran and North Korea now know that the USA will act with international support over any threat to world security, and that can only be a good thing right?

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that when I say "will act", I mean enforcing justice on individuals i.e not just go in try to solve a situation then allow whoever was the cause of the original crisis to get away with it.

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Good that he's dead; bad that he died that way.

We shot ourselves in the foot; the Sunnis, in all probability, like us even less than they did before.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    America may have opened the flood gates:

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16428440/

17. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

My first feelings upon hearing of his execution was a certain sense of justice...however watching the first part of the execution tape and the calm composure he showed, I think the execution was the easy way out for him. Now I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to stick him in an isolation cell for the rest of his life (that life continuing for as long as we could medically extend it).

Yeah, I am a cold, cruel SOB.

[ January 02, 2007, 22:43: Message edited by: Darkwolf ]

18. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Phantasmagoric. Same as with this entire US/Iraq debacle. It's all so mind-reeling... it cant be real.

19. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

In this world, where Pinochet, old Turkish dictators and especially Bush don't get what they deserve, invading a country in the name of "democracy" (lmao) and killing its leader is not justice. Maybe he is a dictator but it doesn't justify his execution by invaders. It is a hypocritical sense of justice.

20. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well spoken Argohir

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.