1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favourite player character?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by chevalier, Nov 5, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Guess everyone likes boasting his or her favourite character (hey, not saying it has to be just one!) and I enjoy listening, so... I think we can combine the two into a nice little thread.

The more original the better, I think, although some of the pure class solid builds can be surprising. Myself, I don't really have much to show off as of yet except single class charisma-based paladins with a bit much INT (not like it's reflected in some super funny skills, given my skill selection tends to be standard and many of the skills aren't that useful). My current one is a paladin/CoT and perhaps I'm going to show him off when I'm done with HotU, which is going to be soon.

So, go on. I'm listening. ;)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I really only have two favorites:

Fighter 5 / Bard 4 / RDD 5. Great melee fighter with some good magic options. Not very original really as it is just a more bardy version of the so-called Ultimate Melee character

Ranger 2 / Rogue 10 / Shadowdancer 2. I always have to have a rogue because I hate walking through traps. Hide in Plain Sight just plan rules but it is annoying how many tough enemies are immune to sneak attack. Like the other character, Use Magic Device is fantastic to help the versatility in a single player game.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I'm a plain person and I enjoy a plain fighter. I've of coruse done the power gaming trip with ranger2/barb3/fighter rest. It's amazing what you can do with a few levels of barb and ranger ;)

Paladin is also nice because sometimes it's good to just play that clear cut path to righteousness and all that is good. When you're a pally there's no need to think - detect evil, slaughter, continue to righteousness!!!

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

My most memorable one was a sneaky Himo Heian on ALFA i played just about a year ago now IIRC.

Only got to level 5 when some nasty, nasty orc berserkers got a critical roll on their x3 critical greataxes and put me down. With the parmadeath and all, i stayed down for good ;)

Anyway, he was a rogue/druid as far as he came, but aimed for druid5/rogue5/shifter10 pre-epic. Would offer some amazing diversity, but it still was incredible for it's roleplaying qualities as long as he had lived.

Another favourite was a straight (pure too :D ) wizard, completely and utterly focused on his art. Gnome, full int and 19 constitution, spell focuses&greater spell focuses in evocation, necromancy and illusion, spell penetration&greater spell penetration, Maximise spell and toughness to boot. His intelligence maxed to +12 bonus at level 12, his DCs were simply absurd. Played him until level 17, when i bought an obscenely costly crossbow of haste that allowed me to reach even higher plateus of power. Then he retired, courtesy to lesser beings who were begining to despair, witnessing his arcane might :1eye:

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Halfling fighter 4/thief X. I never finished the OC, but she did go through a couple of the more interesting 'mini campaigns' that came with the game and from The Vault.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well, who else than Ofelix The Fighter 5 / Bard 10 / Red Dragon Disciple 1 I'm playing in HOTU . He's a CN freak with his halberd and he kick major ass. I'm not really a powergamming fan but I think that a multiclass who has acces a prestige class is not really a powergammer well IMHO.

I'm in the first chapter and I have so much fun.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

All-time favourite: Human Ranger/Rogue/SD. The first character I finished SoU with, but variants of him have featured in other modules too. 4 levels of rogue pre-epic and take SD at level 21. Great fun to play.

In the OC the most fun character I played was a Barbarian/Fighter/Weapon Master, because of his ability to slice through the morass of easy enemies the OC throws at you, especially in the Chapter 2 Goblin Caves snooze-a-thon. Really makes the easy battles that bit quicker.

Other characters I've enjoyed include a Rogue(x)/Weapon Master (7)/SD(1). Sneak attacking fantabulousness with loads of skills made Undermountain a piece of cake.

Generally, I enjoy stealthy types above all, so the best Characters from the ECBs page (imho ;) ) Would be the Chaos Harbinger and Dark Stalker, with an honourable mention for the Versatile Kensai (although SC III for a character with Improved Invisibility is pointless; spend the feats elsewhere).

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Kitrax, a power melee fighter is essential in the OC for all the reasons you mentioned. I'd die of frustration if I had to break out a load of spells each time I ran into 3 zombies then rest and start again.

9. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The favourite character I've used in the OC is just a pure class elven illusionist. He's only in chapter 2, but I enjoy the fact that he's usable as either a close range fighter (buffs and metamagic are a higly effective combination) or as an artillery section (I suspect he'll end up hiding behind Linu more and more as enemies get tougher). His smarts and elven dexterity make him a reasonable trapspringer/locksmith, and he can let his pixie do anything he cant handle.

Currently reaching the end of the interlude in SOU at the moment I have a human Fighter 6/Rogue 1/Blackguard 1. My plan is to end up with a Fighter 7/Rogue 3/Blackguard X that I can take through HOTU and these two really cool epic level modules I downloaded for evil characters, called The Gods Themselves and War For Cania, I believe. Being an epic level git is tremendous fun, especially when Deekin responds so humorously to abuse :evil:

10. Harbourboy

Damn all these character idea threads!! How am I supposed to stay happy with my current character and see her all the way through HotU when you keep giving me all sorts of new ideas for characters?

This is why NWN needs more party-based options so that you can try out various character builds at once (like IWD2) so you don’t have to restart every time you get a new character idea.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I haven't had enough NWN characters to really have a favourite. I do prefer fighters to spellcasters, though; much more reliable at lower levels, and more enduring at higher levels. So far, the really enjoyable ones have been:

- Human Paladin (an absolute tank)
    - Human Fighter 4/Ranger 5/Champion Of Torm X (first character, aborted run to Weapon Master)

I know, I'm a horrible racist... I'm currently working on a Rogue/Shadowdancer, who will have a few levels of Ranger as well to boost her melee abilities and add a bit of character depth.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

My own favorite is a Barbarian (20)/Weapon master (20).

Kick-ass. Enough said. :D

Even better, it's named Klorox!

[ November 23, 2005, 02:24: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My favourite char is my human necromancer/Red Wizard of Thay. I'm playing with the PRC-Pack, so there are plenty of feats and spells to choose from. And with high levels in HotU, you can have much fun. Downing beholders with one "Disintegrate" is great. :D

14. Vurnd Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My best experience over all was with a sorcerer in the Baldurs Gate series, but in NWN I've been having fun with a 1/2 elf rogue that is now 17th level in SoU with a dex of 29 thanks to bracers +5 and crappy stats in everything else but int. He's got weapon finesse to take advantage of the dex mod of +8, uncanny dodge V and such to make up for the crappy armor to keep the dex mod. With the Glorious Revolution crossbow he has an attack of +23/+18/+13 and +26/+21/+16 vs evil (point blank shot feat of course). For melee once in a while I use a rapier +2 (attack of +23/+18/+13) to take advantage of the weapon finesse and save bolts. My only complaint is the light damage. He has boots of speed which help. He is no fun in SoU because he never gets touched so I made a 1/2 orc cleric (Ofal Punter is his name, get it?) who is now 7th level in the "water for the caravan" quest. I didn't know I would be up against so many undead so the cleric turns out to have been a good choice, but I still like playing a rogue with a bow.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Monk , because once you pass level 10 its almost impossible to die . Made hordes of the undardark feel like watching a movie.

16. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

my level 8 rouge/2bard/ 10arcan archer who is in HotU. Great damage with a bow, uses almost any item, area effect damage, hs the ability to hit anything (that can be hit), can tank when needed with DR belts medium armor+shield. All round great charcter!

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Anybody used a bard build? I am thinking of trying some module (Eye of the Beholder), so I need a new char build. Should be spellcaster, and since I tried wizard, cleric and druid so far... bard or sorc is what's left.

Figured something in the cut of HaerDalis - some rouge-ish and fighting skills should come in handy. Rogue 2/Fighter 2/ Bard X. It probably wont be uber, but should be interesting to play. Lots of skill points, extra feats and the ability to use any weapon/armor from the fighter levels, bard song, use magical device, taunt ... looks quite good.

Another idea I am playing with : cleric/weaponmaster with hammer as weapon of choice (I think it gets a x3 crit multiplier). This is tricky, because it needs lots of feats (6, I think) for weaponmaster. I probably should add two levels of fighter, for the two extra feats. I want my cleric spells to have some heft; I definitely want Harm, and maybe even Word of Faith (no saves, stuns for at least 6 rounds- can't argue with that :) ). So then cleric 13/fighter 2 /WM X (choose some suitable domain, like War and trickery -for the improved invisibility spell). It's also possible to stop advancing in the WM class at level 7 (not much gain after) and add more levels in cleric.

18. Harbourboy

Khaarven - it all depends what levels your character will be in for the modules you want to play. If the module covers levels 1-14 then a build based on high level powers is a bit redundant.

19. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

HB - from what I read, it should be in the 20s (that is, starts from first level, and goes up all the way). Looks quite interesting, actually; I grew sort of bored with the three standard campaigns.

20. Shivi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My all time favourite - Human Fighter (4)/Monk xx with 2 weapon, improved 2 weapon and ambidexterity feats. 4 levels of fighter help gain weapon specialization in Kama. By level 24 in HoTU, the character has 10 attacks with haste and flurry of blows. He is immune to mind magic, disease and poison. Enemies die before they have a chance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.