1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favourite magazines

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Loreseeker, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    What are your favourite magazines, if you have any?

I have been reading Zabavnik since I was thirteen, and I haven't missed an issue since. (Maybe I should add it in the Obsessions thread, come to think of it.)
    It is a weekly local magazine, out every Friday. It has some comics, some science articles, some history and some casual nonsense. Very nice for long bus rides home. :)

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an international version of its web issue, so here's the wikipedia entry about it.

So, how about you, guys?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have subscriptions to Discover, Scientific American, PC Magazine, PC Gamer and Consumer Reports. I look forward to them all every month :) Though PC Magazine and PC Gamer have been getting pretty thin lately.

I had until recently a subscription to The Economist, but I found I just didn't have the time and inclination to read it all every week, and decided it's just too expensive to waste like that.

3. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i don't have any subscriptions atm, but i frequently read discovery and science illustrated and the casual fhm if i can get to it

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't subscribe to any magazine and I don't purchase them either. But the ones I do read frequently are Suomen Kuvalehti, a weekly periodical emphasizing on politics and society and Tiede, finnish monthly magazine about science. The first one has it's model on Time magazine, and is comparable in quality despite of far smaller distribution the latter falls behind of it's model Science, Scientific American or any other science magazine, but I read it mainly because it's availability. Both of these I read on a semi-regular basis, but I don't miss it when I miss few numbers.

I had a huge thing for Marvel Comics magazines but nowadays I prefer comic books... :mommy:

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Harper's, The New Yorker, The Economist

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Esquire, Game Informer, The Atlantic, PRINT and Communication Arts (graphic design magazines), The New Yorker. My grandpa bought me a subscription to Newsweek every year of my junior high and high school, which was always nice.

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

The Economist, though I wouldn't get it every week. I tend to just read it when I'm having meals so it usually takes about two or three weeks to go through. I do find Edge and Games TM good for videogames but I rarely bother buying them anymore. I get Accountancy Ireland sent to me automatically by my accounting body but I'm not sure if that counts.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mrs. Bruno gets Sport's Illustrated -- which is okay. I sometimes read it. I subscribe to Money.

I like Archeology, Scientific American and National Geographic Traveler. Oh yes, and that unnamed magazine I look at for the articles ... just the articles ... honest (just kidding).

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Lilith, and Everyday with Rachel Ray... and that's about it for me. Hubby is trying to pick which photography mag he's going to subscribe to.

10. Blatchford Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I subscibe to PC Gamer UK and have every issue since about 2000. In fact thinking about it the first issue I got was april '99, as I was born in june '89 that would have made me 9 at the time, which also means I've been reading it for more than half my life... Kind of scary as I really didn't think it had been that long.
    I ocasionally buy other magazines, but nothing regular.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] White Dwarf.

I'll read most things though. I'll even read tabloids, usually the business sections, if given the time and inclination alongside the promise of a good sudoku at the end.

I'm rather partial to the odd puzzle.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh yeah, Mrs Bruno has been getting Cook's Country which has been awesome (she's a really great cook).

What?!? I like food, okay.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

LMAO. I remember my dad making this EXACT "articles" excuse when I asked him why he had so many old-school playboys in the attic when I was a kid.

14. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Pelit-lehti or "Games magazine". It doesn't hype, nor have dumb people writing.

Empire. A nice read even if the movies turn out to be bad.

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I read Women's Magazines when I'm waiting for my parents while they're doing their Jenny Craig appointments, or when I'm waiting for takeaways.

Stop looking at me like that. They're better than Lifestyle-typed magazines.

I find them extremely boring: most of the stuff within falls in the "who really gives a crap?" category: stuff about celebrities and random people who changed their lives. Some of it consists of aging columnists whining (one such whiner whined about her daughter liking op-shops and basically calls it a place for poor people; which I found extremely rude and up-herself), and puzzles that require the reader to be familiar with celebrity gossip and Shortland Street. But it's interesting looking at the ads within and noting the difference in marketing language to women. For example, Telecom has a series of ads that are written as small stories that ultimately attempts to convince the reader to get Telecom broadband. They try to present stereotypical nuclear families with the mum as the main character, and they have small-scaled sibling conflicts, dumb dads, and generally computer woes that are ultimately resolved by high-speed internet. Good stuff.

I said stop looking at me like that!

(Did you know that you could gauge your confidence level by how high you cross your t's? It said so in Women's Day!)

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Back in the day our high school basketball team was known to read issues of Cosmopolitan out loud on trips. These gifts from the girls' team provided sufficient entertainment in a variety of ways... Though I doubt I could ever stand to read them aside from that company.

We used to get Sports Illustrated, but that magazine has been in a state of decline for quite a while. I also had high hopes for ESPN, but that's a mostly terrible magazine most of the time. My dad reads The Economist religiously and as such I skim it a bit sometimes, but it's not for me. Too real :grin:

I guess I really don't like magazines enough anymore.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Couldn't agree more. That magazine is so cleverly written - it's often much more entertaining that actually going to the movies.

The main magazine I never miss is Runner's World, usually the Australian edition, but I'll read the USA version as well, as they have it in the local library.

18. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Late to this thread, but I, too, read Scientific American, also Scientific American Mind, and lately The Week, which someone gave me as a gift subscription. I used to subscribe to several others but finally caught on that I wasn't reading them when I would work on clutter and find all these unread issues piled up. So I haven't subscribed to anything else in a while.
    For work I have a couple of professional journals I subscribe to but there, too, I've cut down on what I get, both because I wasn't reading them and there have been budget cuts.

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Only two: Hardware info, a magazine about the latest hardware for pc's, and PC gameplay.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.