1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favourite classical composer?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by chevalier, Mar 3, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Who is your favourite classical composer? I used to like Bach a lot and above anything else related to music, but my tastes changed before highschool times and since then Haendel has been the favourite. However, his music is lacking something and that something can be found in Vivaldi. I would have to say I like Mozart, but hey, just about everyone could say that. Err... well, it's not like I like everything he ever wrote, but maybe most of the stuff. His sacral music is better than the wordly pieces. Used to like Beethoven, but not so much now. I've recently started to enjoy the way Scarlatti nonchalantly played with tones, although I do love Ravel's heavy tune of Pavana above almost everything else. French impressionists is sort of a periodically returning interest. They're too specific to play often, but there are moments when they are most welcome. So, how about you?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My favourite is definitely Wagner - I find his music to be quite powerful and moving. After that there are many whose music I enjoy, mostly the usual suspects - Bach, Bizet and Mozart, Rossini, Verdi and Vivaldi would be the ones that instantly come to mind.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Niccolò Paganini was a virtuoso of the violin was also guitarist at his off hours.

Igor Stravinsky wrote the wonderful 'Rites of Spring' which got me into classical music.

What are your favourit timelines? It has to be the Baroque period for me.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Bach for me, and I despise Mozart, actually. Too tonic and blah.

After Bach, probably Beethoven, if for no other reason than the 3rd and 9th Symphonies.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't really have a favorite composer. I have favorite pieces from various composers.

Since Holst wasn't mentioned yet, I'll mention him. I love The Planets, and especially Jupiter.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Blackthorne TA - a good choice - I prefer Mars myself.

A couple others that have not been mentioned that have individual pieces that I like would be Sibelius (Finlandia) and Prokofiev (Romeo and Juliet).

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is tough because many of those composers have some classic (excuse the pun) work and some ordinary work. Example: Pachelbel's Canon is brilliant (it was our wedding march music) but as far as I am aware, he has no other notable work.

If I had to choose one composer who has the widest range of work I enjoy, I would choose Vivaldi.

But I am hardly the world's greatest connoisseur of classical music (I only have about 10 classical CDs).

I agree with BTA about Holst's Planets (which was surely the inspiration for some of the themes in Star Wars), but as I am not familiar with any of his other work, I cannot comment on his overall greatness.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    JSBB - Prokofiev also had a couple of awesome piano concertos that are technical nightmares but sound great (the technical nightmare part is according to my wife).

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Beethoven - All the symphonies, except maybe the first two, which are good but not in the same league as the others, IMO. All the piano concertos, especially No.5.

Mozart was a freakin' genius. I love his stuff. DMC - I hope you come to see how wonderful his music is at some point.

On Holst and the Planets - I like Mercury. :)

Others: Rachmaninov - Piano pieces and Symphonic Dances. Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures and Boris Godunov are masterpieces; Debussy (everything), and I also like the operas of Monteverdi.

10. dmc

Media:
    Chandos - doesn't matter the time of day, how much coffee I've drank, or how many times my wife pinches me, within 5 minutes of the start of anything by Mozart, I am sound asleep.

Hollywood Bowl, Disney Hall, doesn't matter, Mozart puts me out. There's no dissonance in the music and it bores me to tears. (My wife just told me that there is dissonance, but that I am not refined enough to hear it -- when I married her, I told her that I was a cultural Philistine, so I guess this just proves it. She's a classical pianist, after all, and I'm just a bloody lawyer.)

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I like all kinds of classical music, so it's hard to pick a favorite. Some notables are:

Beethoven - great atmosphere with mood swings and contrasting articulation.

Chopin - my piano teacher taught me many of his pieces and I still like them today.

Schubert - sweet melodies, original harmonies.

Liszt - his pieces are actually fun to play. There's usually something unique about the way you have to play his songs technically speaking.

Johann Strauss - catchy melody and rhythms in his orchestral works. You just can't help tapping your feet to the beat.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @BTA: Go Holst! My favorite is Neptune though. The chorus is divine.

If you consider Philip Glass to be classical (now that's a bit of a stretch), then it's Glass. If not, there's no one composer, but a lot of stuff by Beethoven, Brahms, Holst, Tchaikovski, Verdi, and Saint-Saens. To name only a few.

I can't stand Mozart (though the Requiem is good, I still prefer Verdi's). There's a few things by Bach that I like (including his organ and cello stuff, and Air), but most of his composition feels bland.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Alexander Borodin
    Edvard Grieg
    Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
    Sergei Prokofiev

14. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mine is Beethoven.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Does Tchaikovsky qualify? I love dance of the sugarplum fairy.

16. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Johann Sebastian Bach, John Philip Sousa (classical by a technicality), and John Williams (not actually classical, but still classical-style).

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It depends on what you define as classical. For example, would you consider Opera to be classical music in this instance or not?

Mozart, Schubert, and Bach are my favorites, although Beethoven and Tchaikovsky have their moments.

18. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

J S Bach
    Vaughn Williams

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Ah, if this counts then it goes for me too.

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Vivaldi. His pieces are like the heavy metal of the classical music world. Such fury on the violins! Love it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.