1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Favorite Martial Arts Style?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Researcher Jon, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Researcher Jon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all, I was just thinking, and I realized there are so very many martial arts systems out there so I am posting this so that you guys can talk about your favorite style, and perhaps talk about that particular style's specialties(kicking, throwing, etc).

For me, my current favorite style is Nito Ryu, which is the style that Miyamoto Musashi developed, where the practitioner uses two swords instead of one. I think that is way cool style. Oyea, ninjas and stuff are cool too.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Mediaeval-style swordsmanship.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I guess you guys take it for sport then, right? Not very practical for self defense I'd think considering bouncers and the like frisk you wherever you go and I doubt they'd let you by with a friggin sword :p

Myself, I tried Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for around 6 months, broke my damn arm then found it to hard to start again (it's very technical, so if you stop for a long time, chances are it will take a while before you get good again - not that i was good- :) ) Right now I'm taking Muay Thai. It's Thai Kickboxing and it focuses more or the use of elbows and knees during a fight. I'm in the extreme novice stage right now though, been nearly 4 months already :( got a slow martial arts learning curve i think :/

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aikido. Very practical (ie, no high-flying, flashy nonsense), very effective and usually includes weapon styles in the standard training. I personally prefer Japanese forms to Chinese or Korean; I find them, by and large, to be more efficient, disciplined styles.

I too have tried Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but didn't like it much. Very effective, but I didn't enjoy it really. I also earned a brown-belt in Shyroku Rikeje, an American-developed style based on several of the original Okinawan soft-styles. Pretty, and great for tournament fighting, but I don't find it terribly practicle for the real world. Great foundation style, though.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hm... i was kinda impressed with the moves of that cow in Kung Pow-Enter The Fist. :D

6. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In my opinion the best Martial art ever invented. Ving Tsun, the Wong Shung Leung style. Basicly, its a martial art that is based around a set of principles, that are based around the ergonomics of and physics involved in the shape and movement of the human body. It is the same martial art that Bruce Lee studied before he developed his own form (Jeet Kun do) which was his take on Ving Tsun. It has no set routines in it, no pre-constructed fight moves for certain situations. It is a martial art that enables you to be as flexible as the current fight situation you are in requires.
    It's extremely fast, as every movement is minute in size, but emmense in power and effect. It goes by the principle of "offense is the best defence", whereby you are continually throwing attacks at your oponent, turning their attacks in to your attacks, recycling them if you will, and pushing back with your own at the same time. It would take somewhat of an essay sized reply to fully get across the essence of Ving Tsun, but suffice to say, it is pure economy of movement, and the most pratical martial art I have ever studied.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have always been a fan of the "quick mouth" technique, if that hasnt worked I have tried the "run like crazy" and/or the " screaming: somebody get the cops" routine. These three techniques can get out out of almost any troubling situation and which much less risk than any amount of training to do cool looking routines which may not be as readily available in a damp alley in the middle of the night when you are scared ****less and realise that you dont want to get involved with that moron even if you theoritically should be able to beat him.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    @Death Rabbit: My brother has a black belt in aikido, and I can handle him even then.. Well, okay I hit him from a blind spot, but so what? :p

But my fav is kendo, a sharp piece of metal can beat a fist, hands down :D

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Drunken boxing. :D :cool:

10. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Gunkata! :)

Seriously now: I know some Kempo and Aikido but never got serious about it.

When I indeed find myself in a damp alley in the middle of the night, it's more than probable that I got high on something earlier. For some reason, unwanted company hesitates to take on the drug-enhanced mean-looking mofo I appear to be on that kind of occasions. Lucky me, I guess.

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Kung Fu, basic Shaolin Kung Fu. I love the stances, and I practice it myself. It is really the thing for such a small guy as me to kick the 185cm, 75kg guy who annoys me. :evil:

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Now you're talking! I agree with you at 100%

I don't know much about martial arts anyway so... But I've watched Shaoling Soccer it's was WAYYYYY to weird, chinesse humour is weird.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Drunken "boxing" is more like drunken "brawling" than anything else. :shake:

As to the best style, I prefer K1 from Eurosport. :D

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@ Oxymore

Obviously too much Equilibrium for you! :p

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, generally I am too also rather convinced that I am the most dangerous thing in said damp alley, but that is mostly an attitude and self delusion. It has never failed me yet though, but if it would it would be revealed as the attitude it is and hopefully I would be sober enough to get the heck out of Dodge.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i will have to say run away its the best.

18. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I can run fast :)

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I took about 4 months of Kickboxing (incorporating a little of the elbows/knees of Muay Thai) and did quite well at it, but the instructor stopped teaching it and I haven't found another local school for it yet.

I'd love to learn Capoeira, but I'm just too unco-ordinated.

20. Register Gems: 29/31

They are starting a Capoeira school here in Alingsås, guess who's going there. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.