1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favorite/best solo build

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by drol hsoj, Jul 21, 2004.

1. drol hsoj Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hey all, sorry about this but i have looked through a few back pages and have determined that i am incurable lazy :( . so i decided that i was gonna try to get a (new) thread going about your favored solo character.

dont worry if it has been said in the past, in fact thats your perfect excuse to post that "everyones done it, lame and boring" build again like your just to smart, and actually be doing people a service.

o, and besides just being lazy, i am hoping a current thread with all this info will be used by everyone, with every type of build, so people dont have to go searching. with all that said, (finally, phew) post on!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It is generally accepted by a lot of people that one of the most invincible solo builds is the old Deep Gnome Monk. Although Chevalier will insist that is Uber Paladin Wizard is the most powerful dude ever.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Mine was a drow paladin 2/sorcerer x. Symbol of hopelessness. Wail of the banshee. Delayed Blast Fireball. Game won!

4. drol hsoj Gems: 1/31

harbourboy, is the deep gnome a pure monk, or other stuff?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

At least 20 levels of Monk. Beyond that there is not much more to gain from Monkdom so it's up to you what you multi-class in for the other 10 levels but you have to bear in mind multi-class penalties (as Monk is not a gnome's favoured class) and monk order restrictions (if you aren't going to take all 20 monk levels up front).

6. Trouveur Gems: 1/31

I would suggest a paladin 8 (for the slayer feat) / sorcerer X. The two classes will benefit from charisma, and the levels of sorcerer will give you some nice protection spells: stoneskin, mirror image, improved invisibility, iron body...

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Will this character be a potent melee guy? If not, I would suggest being a more pure spellcaster and perhaps take only one or two levels of paladin.

8. Trouveur Gems: 1/31

With Tenser's Transformation I think this guy could be a potent fighter. :)
    Of course this is just speculation, I will have to do some tests.
    Or maybe I could take more levels of paladin? (when I thought of that character I was planning a melee guy, a spellcaster with summons is pretty sure to finish the game alone)

9. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

If you plan on using tenser's for becoming a fighter, I don't really see a point in taking a lot of real fighter levels, so I would take only one level or so (for the saving throws and use of holy avenger).

If you want the guy to be a decent fighter, you should take more paladin levels (I think), because with only a few levels your BAB and number of attacks will pretty much suck.
    I honestly have no idea how much levels of paladin would make you a decent fighter.

The more levels of paladin you take however, the less powerful you will be as a sorcerer. You should also keep in mind that you have to take all paladin levels in a row, because there is no paladin order that lets you freely multiclass with a sorcerer.

10. Trouveur Gems: 1/31

Tenser's Transformation don't give more attacks per round, so I will need some levels of paladin. The levels of sorcerer are here mainly for protection/buffs, so I don't need great spellcasting power.
    Or maybe I could try a paladin 8/fighter 4/sorcerer 18? That way I can take weapon specialization and the feat who gives maximum damages per attacks.

11. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

And live with at least 20% XP penalty?
    And that is considering you use an aasimar, dwarf, wild elf, human or half-elf for your solo. If you use either of the spell resistant races this penalty will go up to 40%.

I guess you want Paladin [8] for the fiendslayer feat. Dont bother.
    Chimeras and half-dragons are a pushover. Fiends and dragons are not found often enough to merit that large a sacrifice.

Paladin [3]/Fighter [4] will give you immunity to disease and fear, smite evil and weapon specialization. The rest may be spent on sorcerer.

As for the spell Tenser's Transformation
    So you do get extra attacks. Essentially you have the same BAB that a fighter would.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    No matter what you post here, my paladin/wizard is still better :lol: :shake:

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

How's that, chevalier? If you look at the spells you use for your wizard and then you'd pick them for a sorcerer, the sorcerer will be more powerful. I know a wizard/paladin can level up both classes, but with careful planning that hasn't got to be such a problem for the p/s.

14. Harbourboy

The wizard build also allows a compulsive micro-manager like Chevalier more flexibility in that he can bone up on exactly the spells he needs every time he goes to sleep in preparation for each encounter.

Anyway see here for more information.....

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Menion Leah:

Paladin/sorcerer has to be a paladin first and then turn sorcerer for the rest of his life. With paladin/wizard, I could level up interchangeably and that suited my roleplaying vision better. It was an even multiclass and if I were to make a paladin/sorcerer, I would make it differently. First of all, I would get between 3 and 8 levels in the paladin class and the rest sorcerer. Next, I wouldn't dabble with so many skills - less INT, less skill points etc. Neither would I need a big wisdom. This way stats would be different from start, as well.

I wanted the character to be a paladin/wizard rather than a sorcerer who started as a paladin ;)

Who knows, maybe one day I'll make a paladin/sorcerer as well. I even have a good roleplaying background for one - a paladin whose physical stats got nuked by lifestyle and illnesses (the latter will have to be handled from the point of view of Divine Health). Wizard still seems more fitting (I believe sorcerer is more like 1st level choice), but perhaps I'll go for sorcerer.

16. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

When you said that your paladin/wizard would be 'better', I automatically assumed you meant 'more powerful', but appearantly there are also roleplaying reasons involved in this claim.

As roleplaying is concerned, I have to agree with you that the p/w is a very good character. A paladin/sorcerer doesn't have to be bad though in my opinion. I do agree with you that sorcery is some sort of innate thing, but maybe one can attain these powers during life too. If the paladin were to do this, it would be logical for him to try to develop these new and strange powers.

17. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Mine was a sorcerer! He rocked, I'm going to have to start playing this game again now! curse you!

18. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Chev, can u post again the stats for this Paladin/wizard? I cant find them anywhere and he sounds really cool

19. Surlent Gems: 1/31

Fighter/Cleric of Talos
    Full plate, spells of mass destruction, divine buff spells, good hitpoints and weapon specialization.

I tried this with 3 character party with deep gnome rogue and drow fighter. They went as far as Dragon's eye in normal mode, so can't say if this has potential in HoF or not.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.