1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Current Computer

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Splunge, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, you had to figure this was coming after Gothmog4230's topic for Your first computer .

I have a computer that's about 3 years old: an AMD Athlon, 900Mhz, 394MB PC133 RAM (recently upgraded from 128MB - cheap and easy :thumb: ), 32MB DDR Radeon video, on-board sound, 20GB hard drive, Win98. I don't play that many games, and the ones I do play usually come out at least 1 or 2 years before I get them, so this computer should last me for awhile yet.

What do you have?

2. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

2.8 GHz with 512 mb PC2700 ram and a 533 FSB, GF 3 Ti-500, soundblaster live, 16x DVD, 48x CD-RW, 2 40gig drives in RAID 0, win2k sp3

fairly happy with it :D

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
  4. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have 1 GHz, WinXP, 384 RAM, 20 GB Hard drive, two cd-drives (both 24x, another is RW) and ATI Radeon 9000. Not too expensive, and runs games and internet relatively well. It is enough for me (and will be, since I don't have much money to put on computer parts)

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I bought my computer 1 month ago, when my previous one (P2 400 Mhz) decided to meet its creator. So currenlty I have a P4 in 2,66 GHz, Asus P4PE GBL 1394 SATA motherboard, western digital 120GB 7200rpm hard disk, DDR 400 512MB PC3200, ATI Radeon 9500 128MB, Creative Live Audigy Player Bulk, Asus DVD E616 IDE Retail, Sony CDRW 52x24x52 CRX-220E Retail and Windows XP Pro.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    My Old Man has a Celeron 800, 384 meg RAM, 60 gig HDD, some crappy Riva TNT2M(sucking)64, SB Live 5.1, a very light and soft keyboard and a superb mouse that's no longer produced: A4Tech with two wheels. Of those wheels only one is vertical, thanks be to heaven.

The fun thing is that there's a cable modem plugged via USB and a big JVC audio set serves as speakers. Oh well... some microphone is under the desk...

I fear the Old Man is rotting alive. He stinks like fried snickers and even stopped working today for some time...

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I have a ComTrash (Compaq) with a AMD K6 processor running at 500MHz, 198Mb of RAM, 10Gb HD, with integrated video and sound cards. Basically it's an expensive word processor that can support a few games like BG2. If I try to use it for anything else it'll die on me. :rolling:

8. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

[​IMG] AMD Athlon XP 1466@2000 Mhz - 2400+
    Epox 8RDA+ (nforce2 chipset)
    Winfast Geforce 4 4200@4400 128 MB
    512 MB DDR 333 cas 2.5
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 - 19 inch

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have a P4 1.9 with 512 MB RAM, an ATI Radeon 8500, Creative SB Live! soundcard, a Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 speaker system, one 100 GB and one 60 GB hard drive, a 19" NEC Multisync 90 monitor, an 8x Creative DVD drive, and a 16/10/40 Plexwriter CD burner. I am running it on Windows XP pro.

As for the age, well I have had the "same" computer since the late 80s when I got my original 286, I have just been upgrading it a piece at a time ever since. There is not a single component left from when I first got the computer but there is really no point at which I can I really say that I switched from one computer to another.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I just updated my own computer for obviously no reason (not as if I had any games that really needed it anyway, and my previous comp was quite enough for the few heavier softwares that I use). P4 +3000Mhz (as in, a 2400 overclocked to 3000), 512ram, G-Force 3 Ti 200, 2mbit/512k ADSL. No need to say that at least I don't have to think about the requirements for whatever I decide to get for the next year or so. The G-Force 3 is almost outdated already though, so should I feel a need to play the newest 3D games, I'll undoubtedly have to upgrade that as well.

I don't really use money on anything so the childish habit of always keeping the state-of-the-art equipment has remained from my juvenile years. Oh well.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

A Pentium 2 piece of crap. At least part of it is crap anyway, and thats enough to stop it from running everything except for ancient games.

12. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pentium 4 2.53 ghz with 533 fbs, 60 gig hard drive, 512 MB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700. And yeah, it's a Dell, if that matters. By the time I need an upgrade I won't be able to afford it on crappy military salary, unless I want to spend a few months of pay.

Anyway, we have a really old Mac in our study that we use exclusively for word processing, and it does it's job well, despite the fact it's probably half my age.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Still running on my year or two old comp :p

17" TFT (Hitachi, 174SXL-B, the only one of their product series that works well)
    1800+ Athlon XP (It's just wonder how quickly they double the speed...)
    512 DDR (Just doubled it :) )
    30 GB Seagate Barraquda (More than enough for a game or 20)
    Ultra ARU motherboard from MSI ("A" integrated audio, "R" for RAID and "U" for USB 2 -nice, althought the board scored only average in Tom's Hardware tests)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 player (Cheap and good :) )
    GeForce TI-4400 (MSI -again another average scorer in Tom's hw tests... Against other similar cards that is)

Blue Vivanco keyboard
    Silver Explorer mouse and headphones
    SDSL :( (One day it works well, at the next...)

14. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Celeron 1.2MHz (used to be PII-400), 320MB RAM (originally 64MB), 12.9GB hard drive, DVD-ROM, Turtle Beach Montego sound card, and a GF3 TI200 video card (was an STB TNT 16MB). My OS is Win98 and it runs just about everything that I want it to run, which is why I'm planning to replace it in a year or so. ;)

15. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Amd k6-III 500MHZ with 320MB PC100 ram & Voodoo 3 AGP.

I *****-slapped this dinosaur into running Neverwinter Nights at 5 FPS. It’s connected by LAN to an AMD P200 with 192MB of 66Mhz Simm ram, which can run the NWN Server (but not the Client) allowing my main machine, while acting solely as a client, to run NWN at 9 FPS (Wo-hoo).

I’ve also got a P200 laptop that is fast enough to do all those little tasks that laptops excel at.

My main Machine has a 19” CRT monitor, a 14” CRT monitor and a 15” LCD monitor all on at the same time. 19” best for games, LCD best for reading (some people are highly sensitive to screen refresh frequencies, which can even bring on a epileptic fit in extreme cases. LCDs do not have a strobe-like refresh and therefore have less chance of causing a headache due to prolonged use). The 14” CRT is still used because it was a great (and free) way to extend the desktop when I upgraded it.

I always wait until the processor I want has dropped to £30 ($60) or less before I change my motherboard and CPU. The only reason I would upgrade right now is to play NWN properly, but since even an old 3D game like Thief leaves it for dust in terms of gameplay, why bother? I had expected more from the people who produced MDK (I know, Aurora Toolset, but wouldn’t Thief-like gameplay in an Aurora created world have been sooo much better?).

I will be interested to see how this thread turns out because of the following question;

If game programmers produce games which are only playable on the machines sold during the proceeding year, doesn’t that drastically limit the number of customers for their product?

I like change, I just hate having to pay for small incremental change again and again and again.

P.S. on the web it is easy to see that all computer equipment in the US is half the price it is in Ireland, which is a bit hard to understand when some of it is made in Ireland.

Sorry, now what was it you asked again? Oh yes. My favourite food is ice cream. :D

16. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think other than for games and maybe people who work with advanced computer graphics, PC's are WAY faster than they really need to be. The average person just running business/accounting software, word processing, occasionally looking things up on a 56k modem, doesn't need half the power of computers out right now. Which is actually a good thing, since you can buy some "outdated" parts and make a decent system to fit your needs. The sad thing is, they usually go to the local computer store, spend $2000 on some piece of junk with a 3 ghz processor, 128mb SDRAM and an integrated video card, and end up getting ripped off in general.

17. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

this is my first computer....
    its sucks all the way around....

18. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Athlon XP2000+
    KuDoZ mainboard 333
    512MB 333DDR RAM
    HD c:30GB
    d:60GB
    Geforce 3 ti200
    WinXP professional&rarely used Win98
    Teac- 40-24-48 writer
    SyncMaster 959NF 19' monitor

I upgrade my machine reguraly so i intend to buy myself a new graphic card (Radeon 9700 when the prices fall - most probably), a new cooler (this one is too loud), perhaps i'll sell the 30GB HD and buy a 80GB (got a really nice offer :) ).
    And i have to get another mainboard so i can test this one. Its a bi strange i think... but stable enough.

19. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've got one of those computers with a screen thingy and one of those things the paper comes out of. Oh and how could I forget the thing with all the letters and numbers on it, which you press and thingys appear on the screen :p

Na, I've got a Dulex 10444 Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 1700 MHz. 512 Mb Ram, 40 gigs ROM. 16x10x40 CDRW, Epson stylus C2OUX printer, and the absolutly horrible Windows XP. Or something along those lines.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have a Pakard Bell computer.
    Windows 98 with a Pentium 3 processor. 7.85GB capacity and 64MB RAM.
    3dfx Voodoo3.
    And brilliant Sound.

Yet it is ancient. In computer years.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.