1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your age & attitude toward it

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by rg58, Jun 29, 2011.

1. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hi, Do you feel and act your "age"? I don't, I can honestly say that I feel about the same as I did in my mid-30's. Yeah the hairs gotten greyer but physically I don't feel any older. Still the same ol' wiseacre I have always been.
    What about the other members of SP?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm 22 going on 80. I generally get told I act older than my age to which most people my age I generally find are a bit too puppyish for my liking :p I probably act a decade older than I am. Comparing to family and friends in that age range anyway. Though they are very prone to childish moments :p

and just for that bit of extra kick: I joined this site when I was thirteen :lol:

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I'm 37, and I don't feel or act all that differently than what I did 10 years ago. There's nothing physically I could do then and can't do now - although I suppose the recovery time is longer. (Yes, there are many interpretations of that previous sentence, and most of them would be appropriate.)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm 51, and starting to feel it from a physical standpoint. I don't act it, though. I also don't look it (most people think I'm 10 years younger than I really am); not bragging - I've alway looked younger than I really am - it was a real pain in the arse trying to get into bars when I was in my early 20's, and forget about getting in when I was under age.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm 27. I should really find a nice girl and be settling down about now. I don't want to though, I just want to go out with my mates, get pissed and play computer games.

I guess that makes me immature.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Nah.... I was still like that at 27. I have always thought 30 was a good age to get married. While I didn't quite make it that far (I got married at 29), I was still very much into my youthful ways at 27.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am 30 and feel pretty much like Barmy. I look at my friends that have a family and I just can't see the appeal. Sure it would be nice to love and be loved and all that jazz but hte price, the price is spectacular. I do not want to spend my days thinking about what tiles to put in my bathroom, drapes, mowing the lawn, eating dinner with other couples, discussing the development of children or god knows what else "adults" do. You guys who are settled, what is it I am missing?

8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Beware ... by the time you discover that all those boring things are what really makes up 'life' and are what you want out of it, it may be too late.

To the youthful, boring nerdy domestic types appear pathetic. The only thing more pathetic is a lonely old bitter person. :bad:

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not to get too maudlin, but having your child climb into bed to snuggle or just give you a huge hug, having a spouse that knows you and does special things for you "just because" and who you can talk to about anything you want, having someone to care for other than yourself . . . well, I wouldn't trade that for all of the wild nights out, one night stands with totally hot girls, or anything else.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Sounds great. I definitely want it one day, just not at the moment. I don't even want a girlfriend right now. I'm not being big-headed, but I could get a girl if I wanted. It would just get in the way of what I want to do. I like not having to answer to anyone, or plan around anyone else. It's a nice freedom to be honest, but I'm sure I'll get the itch to settle before long.

Maybe the last 2 girlfriends I got heavily involved with cheating on me has made me damaged goods and affected my mindset, who knows!

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, that's the way we see it NOW. When I was 25, it was a whole different story...

As far as what you're missing, it's hard to simply or efficiently describe. Having a child is a uniquely fulfilling experience. The reason why it defies a neat and tidy description is because it's different for everyone. Having a child, if you don't already have a child, is a rather abstract concept, though simple in thought.

It's kind of like how everyone knows what a house is, but the concept of "home" means something different to everyone. I don't know if that's a perfect analogy, but it's the best I can come up with. The difference is between "a child" and "your child".

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I got maried at 31. Looking back, I wish I did it sooner. I wasted alot of money partying and doing stupid-ass crap. Gambling, drinking, whoring... what did I have to show for it when I was 27. Nothing. Some memories, good times, but nothing tangible to take from it. Today, I have a smart, beautifl wife, 2 great kids, a nice home, nice job, nice cars and most importantly, a defined life. No worries when it comes to what am I doing with my life. And I still get to "game" occasionally. Lately, a lot.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    "I spent most of my money on drink, drugs and women.. the rest I just squandered"

10 points to the first American who can tell me who said that without consulting Google.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Was it Carlin?.... points = dollars, right?

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Our survey says.. UH-UH.

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Given that Barmy specifically aimed his challenge at Americans, you know it's some crappy English soccer player with delusions of being an athlete (as opposed to being just a long distance runner with a predilection for bad acting -- which is what soccer players actually are).

:p

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    GW Bush before he became prez? Bill Clinton waited to do that until AFTER he became prez....

As Stephen Colbert says, "Soccer is like the Vietnam War: They both go on forever and America never wins."

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Here's a tip, he's not an American...

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

George Best or Paul Gascgoine.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 6 seconds later... ----------

Because going to the pub and getting drunk seems even more pointless.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I used to wonder if I'd resent not having a 'proper student experience' but can honestly say whilst I enjoy going out with friends now and then to a decent bar or club it seems pointless to me to do such on a regular basis. Where I live it's right where the bars and takeaways are in the middle of the city, it's always the same people coming home trashed at stupid hours, it's the same banshees screeching outside after closing times, fights usually happen between different people at least :rolleyes:

I think I'd probably consider myself settled. I have a man, we're talking about getting engaged and we're in the middle of moving house to somewhere actually habitable.

That doesn't suddenly mean all my time is going to be consumed with only spending it socially with other couples, neither will discssions on home decoration and alterations be my main conversational piece (Except for the fact I am moving house so some things I can't have here I will be getting :p)

I'm just looking forward to having time with Kev in a place that doesn't make either of us to go on a killing spree and the sounds of occasional traffic, wildlife and the sea instead of moronic drunks at all hours.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.