1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yikes! (Instant death)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by pokeyloki, Oct 12, 2008.

1. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

After I beat Tanari and the Cultists in Ulgoth basement, a Ghast appears right on top of me and kills me. My main character has 123 hp, and POW! instant dead. Is this a bug, or is there some way to get away? One reload I ran as far as the dwarf in the tavern, he said everythings cool, I thought I had gotten away...

It's like one of those really bad dreams, or in one of those Horror novels where the Bad Mage sics a demon on you; nowhere I can run, nowhere I can hide:eek:

- - - - - - - -
    edit: Looking at my "Record" for my character there is a white sqiggly mark like snake on my statistics, and it says I'm "Dying". What does that mean?

2. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I remember this. One of your party members got infected fighting the Tanari and got changed to a ghoul. I don't remeber any way to reverse this. Also if you don't kill all the cultists before the Tanari they all turn into demons. This is easily one of the hardest fights in the game.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That is the gaze attack of Aec'letec. To prevent it from affecting you, you can use Potions of Mirrored Eyes during the battle.

If you don't want to do that (i.e don't have the potions, or the battle is already over), just watch for that effect on any party member who is affected by the gaze attack and cast Dispel Magic before they (or you) turn into a Ghast. You have a little bit of time before they die.

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If that's your farthest reload, I don't know what you can do. Maybe try to shadowkeeper it off since at this point it is too late.

As for in the battle, dispel magic is the pansy way out :p I would kill the character that suffered from the gaze, or at least make sure something killed them. Unless of course, that was the protagonist. In which case procedure dictated re-loadage.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What? You'd rather kill your ally when you can easily cure them? Or reload rather than cure the protagonist? Strange... I'd call reloading the pansy way out.

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

You see at the time I had no clue of dispel magic's effectiveness in such situations... and since then the whole killing them idea has grown on me :shake:

And the reload rarely happens since I tend to keep my character as far from the action as possible...

I can understand if anyone doesn't share my same view of the pansy way.

7. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Ohhh!, I get it, I turn into a Ghast! (sorry, I cant help it,) That's ghastly! I thought it was pouncing on me from above, which was making me anxious and looking up a lot.

Next time, with my other character, I'll be sure to load up on ProtPetrification, and also some way to keep my cleric from getting held, which was super annoying since she was the only one who could remove hold, and I had to spend a lot of time defending her instead of killing the BadGuys.

Anyway, I'll try Dispell and hope it works. I've got an autosave, but it was alotta work to bust these guys, and I dont really feel like having to do it again! Today, anyway

Thanks again guys

- - - - - -

edit: PS, one of my favorite things about this board is the simplest question can launch this Big discussion which quickly veers off to stuff that is interesting and fun, it's great!
    - - - - - -

By the way, Chicken is Good, one thing I tried was killing one of my other characters hoping the ghoul would go for them. It didn't work, but reading yours made me think of how it felt to kill my own guys, and I can relate to your saying that you started to enjoy it. The only thing that bugs me about it is it's sort of like canniblism, and while it might be fun while I'm immersed it the action, I got a feeling it can only lead to a Bad End.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

The reason I would do it is that if you kill them before they turn into a ghoul you can raise them good as new. If they turn into a ghoul they are gone from the group for good.

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    If they are the kind of character who gets turned into a ghoul then they are obviously dead weight (ahem) and should be killed anyway- otherwise they are just a drain on your precious resources! Besides, anyone so attention-seeking that they'll turn into an undead monster because you didn't feel like casting a spell on them is not the kinda person you want guarding your back.

10. pokeyloki Gems: 3/31

Dispell worked. Yay, now on to getting popped by Angelo.

It's too bad that when I get turned into a ghoul I also die. It might be sorta fun to go around the game as an actual BadGuy. Or how about if then I recover and then I could write a book, "Ghoul Ask Alice", or start a self-help group, we could discuss our feelings like we really dont want to be Bad, we just cant help it.

It's funny how, if you actually play an evil character, the GoodGuys try to kill you And the BadGuys try to kill you. I guess BadGuys just arent nice to anyone, not even other BadGuys. Is that why they always lose?

11. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

IIRC Protection from petrification doesn't work here in this instance. I think the only way to get around this is using the Potions of Mirrored Eyes BTA mentions. Perhaps using Demigurgvs Spell Revision mod allows the scrolls/spells to protect from Aec's gaze attacks. Anyway there's a reason he does yield so many xp's :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.