1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another stats quiz thread

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, May 9, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/

My score:

STR 12
    DEX 15
    CON 13
    INT 17
    WIS 13
    CHA 20

So impractical. Only two are even numbers!

Now, if I really had 20 CHA... I mean, I probably have a good one but surely not this high! INT is too big. DEX also seems overinflated. CON is about right, but it's hard to say, anyway. If those WIS questions had been in my language, I would have scored higher. If I had a really big WIS, I would probably think I have 8, wouldn't I? STR might be right. It surely doesn't fall below 12, but it doesn't exceed 14.

How do you fare?

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

We already had one of these a week ago

3. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Bit of a killjoy, eh, Sarevok?

I won't post my scores because they're inaccurate. This test was a bit bad.

(I don't post because they're absurdly high, in case any wondered...)

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am apparantly:

Str: 9
    Dex: 14
    Con: 11
    Int: 15
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 14

I probably appear so weak because i can't remember how much i can bench press lol :)

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Str 9 Dex 7 Con 13 Int 11 Wis 11 Cha 12

While I'm not going to say that my ability scores are not high enough (or low enough), I really have to question the validity of this test.

One good example is determining sin(Pi/2). You can have a very low IQ and still know this since you might have just studied for a math test or because you teach Algebra. In D&D terms, this is representative of your ranks in Knowledge (mathematics) rather than your actual Intelligence score.

Another thing is that I am surprised that the test did not test how accurate your senses are for Wisdom. The "terrakin" question is another good example: you could be a recent Chinese immigrant who speaks twenty words of English but have a high Wisdom score. If anything, it is more Intelligence-related, but once again, your ranks in a skill are more representative of this.

I guess this was made when 2E was around. I also think that most people give themselves too much credit when they do stuff like this. Next time, try getting a friend to do this test, and pretend that he's your (or you're him).

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Str 7
    Dex 11
    Con 12
    Int 14
    Wis 11
    Cha 11

Whatever.

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

that test sucks. Althought I'll admit my wisdom may have gone down because for "54 c in a d (with j) I put 54 cops in a donut with jelly.

8. chevalier

Media:
    Right, the English-based questions for Wisdom aren't a true measure for someone whose first language isn't English. Or even the same dialect of English that the author of the test used. Point blank was pretty simple and so was hours and days. The 54 one was strange for me. Terrakin was lame. "Terra" is Latin for earth, "kin" is English for related, especially by blood or species. So it required you to know a scrap of Latin and advanced English.

The intelligence part 2 contained questions that can possibly relate with intelligence, but by no means necessarily so. These are especially the music ones, fidgeting and crafting things. That many intelligent people have such inclinations doesn't mean it's a reliable measure of intelligence.

Next, if you remember well that sin(PI/2) is 1, it's knowledge (maths). However, what a normal person remembers that? :shake: :lol: :p

I recalled that sin(PI/6) was 0.5 and recovered some formulae from my head:

sin(a) = cos(PI/2 - a), given a < PI/2, a > 0

sin^2(a) + cos^2(a) = 1

ergo: sin(PI/3) = SQRT(1 - sin^2(PI/6))

ergo: sin(PI/3) = SQRT(0.75)

A fraction's square root is larger than that fraction, so it's larger than 0.75, so larger than 0.5. So the sinusoid was going up. Now, I remembered that it switches between going up and going down every PI/2 and it never goes below 1. So sin(PI/2) had to be 1 :shake: :lol: :grin: :lol:

9. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah, charisma, that's me... however
    english is not my mother tongue, only 3rd language. so i couldn't get some questions like the one with the vegetables.

I suspected my wisdom a little higher.
    Strenght test I didn't take, but still got a 10, without filling in anything... now that's wisdom for ya!

Still, I knew nothing of the STR things, because I never do them... Lazy-ass
    (I could lift my computer table, and the gaming table when my barbarian gets enraged)

10. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I took the character test, and was a CG, half-orc Barbarian.

One thing I didn't get was that my STR score was 11, which doesn't make a shred of sense as I can bench about 225 or so.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

That was weak. And apparently so am I.

I mean, just because I can't do that many situps or pushups doesn't mean I'm weak. I mean, in D&D perspective I think the fact that I can bench press 250 or more would determine it better.

And Chev, how the hell did you remember all that math?

12. chevalier

Media:
    It apparently had something to do with push-ups and sit-ups, given I got STR 12 being able to bench press only 140 (I never work out).

@Jaguar: I should have remembered than sin(PI/2) was 1, in the first place ;)

As for STR measure in D&D, STR affects your weight allowance, bonus to hit and damage and several skills in 3E (like Jump, Swim etc), and such things as bashing doors, and also weight allowance, in 2E. Bench press is not an accurate measure if you specifically train it - it makes you able to bench press more, but not necessarily stronger in all respects. For example, I can carry big loads for longer time than some people who can bench press more, and am typically able to hit harder. On the other hand, I lose badly when I armwrestle some guys I can easily push around, for example. That's why I think that we should be careful with estimating STR basing on just one aspect.

13. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Bummer!

STR:13
    DEX:16
    CON:14
    INT:12
    WIS:12
    CHA:14

Oh well as my dad always says: "The world needs ditch diggers too"

14. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

str:16
    dex:18
    con(1/2):10/15
    int:13
    wis:10
    cha:11

should probably be a fighter;) interesting since i'm in the us navy

I'm also a half-orc fighter;)

[ May 19, 2004, 21:58: Message edited by: Arahar ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  15. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I rememberd the Sine question because we have close to a whole unit dedicated to exact vaules in my maths course.

For those that dont know
    Sine(p1/2) = Sin90 degrees,
    which is 1

I got
    STR: 8 (i agree, im a weakling :p )
    DEX: 16 (i agree again)
    CON: 15 (not so sure about that)
    INT: 13 (i agree)
    WIS: 13 (agree again)
    CHA: 16 (ok this has to be the least inaccurate score of the lot, no way is my charisma that high, unless charisma is jsut being polite)

16. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My stats were all 10-12 range, which I find odd. The stats test was pretty bad.

The class test.... Lawful Good, Half-orc... paladin? Uh... is that even possible?

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Str 10
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 12
    Wis 11
    Cha 14

But then again its almost 02.00 in the morning... :p

18. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The page won't load; when I try to open it, the IE gives an error.
    Oh well, it seemed this was a bad test anyways; but I just thought I'd let you know

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.