1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

XP bug?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Valer, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I am new in the world of NWN, and had some problem. First the, ATI card, next the load/save problem, but both was fixed.

Now what i have is strange. If i multiclass a rouge with a ranger i get less XP per kill. I am a human, so the XP penalty is not the case. I saw it first at Rouge(1)/Ranger(1), but i thought maybe first i should be a Rouge(2)... :rolleyes: Now i am a Rouge(4) and if i take Rouge(4)/Ranger(1) i get 33XP for an Escaped Prisoner if i take Rouge(5) i get 42XP for the same enemy... :confused:

Can anyone help please?

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

First of all, you're playing a ROGUE not a red (rouge=red). Second, to answer your question, some classes are considered to have a higher difficulty level then others. For some reasons Rogue is one of the lowest so when you defeat an enemy as a pure Rogue, the game will consider you a weaker character then a Rogue/Ranger of the same level and thus give you more XP for the enemy. I know it is weird and I don't know what they base the weakness grade of your character on, but it has been noticed by several players already.

3. Valer Gems: 7/31

Oh, those french lessons! :) I think i will talk about thiefs in the future... :D

I made a halfling Rogue, if i consider her (true thief class) XP points 100%, than the

Rogue(1)/Ranger(1) gets 90%
    Rogue(2)/Ranger(1) gets 100%

- at this point i thought the game is corrected but the next level up disappointed me a little bit. :(

Rogue(2)/Ranger(2) gets 62%
    Rogue(3)/Ranger(1) gets 62%

If the game works this way, it's never mind what class, race, or something you are playing. Someone considered you an overpowered character and with this negative feedback, makes you weaker.
    Just don't try to be better!

4. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

They don't think you're an overpowered character, they consider the pure thief an underpowered one. Maybe someone should check out if there are other classes that get this thief bonus. But I presume that they found it underpowered since he doesn't have fighter, but neither does he have spells. I think AB and ability to cast spells are the most important facts to determine the "power" of your character by the game engine, although this is just an hypothesis.

5. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hmm, never knew about this XP thing. Anyone know what files are responsible for this? I'd like to mod my game and take this out, it just has no place in 3E DnD.

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

I think it are the same files that calculate the difficulty level of enemies. But I don't know which those are exactly either. Just giving a hint incase you know which they are.

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wrong. NWN uses the D&D 3rd edition CR system, albeit slightly adapted to the aurora engine the game uses.

Your level is measured against the CR of a particular creature and the XP gained from that encounter is derived from this calculation.

It does not matter what your class is.

XP gain is set to 10% of what you should get in the NWN Original Campaign.

And pure rogue underpowered? No bloody way. Sneak Attack and Use Magic Device are two of the most awesome abilities in the game.

8. Valer Gems: 7/31

The only thing i see, a Rogue(4) gets 42 XP for an Escaped Prisoner, but the Rogue(3)/Ranger(1) gets only 26...

It's not fair! :mad:

I won't multiclass my halfling no more. The battles are more difficult - not just go there and cut to pieces - but more intresting, and i can spend some feats on ambidextery, and two weapon fight...

9. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I might have found the reason for this. In classes.2da each class is given an Effective Character Level with which is compared to the Challenge Rating for your XP reward. A warrior's ECL is the same as their class level but everyone else advances along the table slower (specifically wizards and sorcerers who are still considered level 1 at level 3), though everyone does even out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.