1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Xbox 360 crashing like mad?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Lost Meme, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] The news at Xbox-scene says that people in the US are reporting crashes with default settings on single player. Some crashes have been reported on Live as well.
    Check it out.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sounds like bad news for Microsoft. When does the first patch come out? :xx:

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Some launch that is...

That site also reports that Microsoft is losing heaps of money each unit sold. I can't see how this is going to be a success if a) it's **** and crashes, and b) is draining money.

4. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31

Don't forget the shortages :rolleyes:

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Console units are typically sold for less than they cost to build; they make money on the games and other peripherals. Just like ink jet printers are sold for less than they cost and they make their money on all the ink refills.

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes, but until lately, the only advantage of consoles over pcs was that they worked just like any household apparatus: plug it in and turn it on. No computerlike crashes and no patching.

7. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I'll stick with the PS3 when it comes out...I don't want to cripple myself with the x-box controllers :D

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Costs per XBOX 360 are 525$, it's on sale for 399$.

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Nah, their prime advantage has been cost. $500 or less for a top end console vs. $1k or more for a mid-range PC. You don't need to replace the console for, what, five years or so? The PC, on the other hand...

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yeah, my dumb brother bought one and he has the very same problems... I personally prefer to stick to my old Xbox... the first generation of new electronics is often rid with problems.

11. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31

Apparently, the way to stop it crashing is to raise the power supply off the ground. The crashing is supposedly caused by overheting, so this helps the air to circulate around it.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yeah, my bro placed the Xbox and the PSU where they can breathe freely, and it hasn't crashed ever since.

13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You'll have to do like overclockers for pcs and go buy some more powerfull cooling components then. Or this might be on purpose, so M$ can later sell you the official "M$ XBOX 360 Watercooling plug-on" ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.