1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WWE fans to be turned away at the polls

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by starfox64, Oct 23, 2010.

1. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Here's WWE's press release. I actually can't find anything on the Internets on Connecticut Secretary of State, Susan Bysiewicz barring fans from polling stations. It could just be a wrestling storyline or a poor stunt to get fans to the voting booths.

Apparently, a law in the state prevents any kind of political advertising within 75 feet of voting polls, and according to sources, since Linda McMahon is so closely affiliated with WWE, any form of WWE merchandise would be considered as political advertising.

Anyway, for backstory, Linda McMahon, former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, is currently the Republican nominee in the 2010 race for U.S. Senator from Connecticut. She's distanced herself from WWE during her campaign even though the media and other candidates like to keep bringing it (and all the stupid wrestling storylines, wrestlers' drug problems, injuries, and every other ugly thing associated with wrestling) to the front. Recently, WWE programming started running an ad on television and at live events, "Stand Up for WWE".

In the end, we all know that laws will be broken, if they're not already. I can't imagine fans being turned away from the polls for showing up in a Stone Cold Steve Austin shirt though.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Here's more on the story. Yes, this is perfectly legitimate, and people are over-reacting. I also read a story recently about a Texas woman being turned away from early voting for wearing an Obama T-shirt. Obama is the figurehead of the Democratic party, so his image is considered an endorsement of the Dems. Likewise, since one of the Republican candidates was the (very public) CEO of WWE, WWE merchandise is considered an endorsement of her.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Kind of makes you wonder where Pennslyvania's Secretary of State was during the "New Black Panther" incident?

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Whether or not they are turned away will have very little impact on the results IMO. I cannot recall the name of the Democratic candidate, but Linda McMahon trails her by a significant margin. Connecticut doesn't appear anywhere on the Republicans' much heralded "path to 51" in the quest to take over a Senate Majority. (Incidently, I'm standing by my prediciton I made months ago - I think the probability of R's taking over the House is high, and the probability of them taking over the Senate is low.

EDIT: Found this on, where else? fivethiryeight:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Vince McMahon, Chairman and CEO, World Wrestling Entertainment's latest press release.

Breaking News:
    Break out your Stone Cold Steve Austin shirts and go vote.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If I was living there and could vote, I'd want to do it in a RoH or UFC T-shirt, just for the joke.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Odd. I thought they had real grounds, but as quickly as they folded, it sounds like this actually may have been a political stunt all along.

8. starfox64 Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Linda McMahon lost anyway. End of story.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.