1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wtf I Hate Nwn!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by SlimShogun, Jun 24, 2002.

1. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, after waiting over two years for this game, i installed it on my computer to find that it wont RUN! Well it runs, but it takes about 3 second to load every movement i command! I have 64 megs of ram, and i thought that was the problem, so i loaded it on my friedns comp who has 512 ram, 650 Pentium II and GForceIV, and it still didnt work!!!! what do i need to run this game smooth? Someone, please post...I NEED THIS GAME TO LIVE!

[This message has been edited by SlimShogun (edited June 24, 2002).]

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31

I hate to say it, but from what ive heard, anything below a ghz is gunna struggle

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Read the minimum system specs. 96mb of ram with windows 98, A minimum of 128mb with XP. It reccomends 128 with 98 and 256MB with XP. I have 128 and XP and the gme runs slow, so I'm doubleing my RAM on Tuesday. I'll let you know if it works. Also, you need a minimum of a PII450mhz.

4. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] In the specs ON THE BOX it says it should run with my friends' PII 650, 512 RAM, Windows 98, 64 Meg Geforce4!

5. b_p Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, it sounds like you need a better processer, i believe ur friend has the minimum which always make s games run crapply. Ur comp wont run it good at ALL due to its crappy ram amount, and if that doesnt work, ur game copy MAY be scrated or somthing, but i highly doubt that. (Two years and you thought 64 megs would do?!?)

[This message has been edited by b_p (edited June 24, 2002).]

6. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I seem to recall hearing that some people were having problems with the copy protect interaction with the driver for their CD drive. You might want to check out the tech support section of the official forum.

The game does run fine for most people with specs similar to your friend's, so there is obviously something specific to your friend's hardware that the game doesn't like.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The copy protection can't be the reason to lag he gets when issuing commands. I mean, when you issue a command, engine shouldn't check each time if your CD is in the drive. If it does do that, it's nothing but a bug that will automatically move all system specs to the step IronEagle posted.

SlimShogun, try with lowering all details, and also try with updating your GeForce drivers (if you haven't already). Also, if you use some of those fancy wireless keyboards or mouses, try if it works better with turning keyboards' enhanced options off or try with regular mouse.

And please post what happens - I'm running Duron 750 and I don't want such thing on my PC.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited June 24, 2002).]

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Finally a good reply Ex! I don't know what the default settings that are automatically used when you first start the game. Maybe the default is 1024x768, in that case, lower it to 800x600. Also try using 16-bit colors instead of 32 (if possible), I think it will be on 32-bit for that is default in WinXP.

Another thing: I have a Athlon XP 1700 (1,47 ghz) and after installing WinXP I also had some problems. This is caused by bad drivers for Videocards. After installing one of the latest Detonator Drivers, my framerate in Quake 3 doubled, from 47 to 103 frames per second. So get those new drivers here. (these drivers for are for win2000 and XP]

You might also try to disable Anti Aliasing when it is enabled.

I'm sure that this will fix your problems.

9. Well, hello Ex :) Good to see ya on this board.

I have a lowend computer P2-333 MHz 96 MB Ram
    and a Geforce 2 GTS.

It runs fine, when not in big areas. Try to update your drivers etc. or atleast take some of that nifty effects off.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I have a Duron 750 and a GeForce 2 and the game runs fine.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Yeah but you are a sorcerer, you can cast Haste on your computer ;)

12. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Guys, I think I'm gonna cry...

But first, I'll reiterate fully what has happened:

My computer:
    Windows ME
    700 mHz Celeron
    64 MB RAM (Assume 196, because I just ordered another 128)
    S3 Savage4 S540 Graphics Card w/ 32 MB RAM
    AMC97 codec 3D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit sound card w/ Crystal sound chip on motherboard

EFFECTS: NWN lags incredibly, even in 800x600 w/ all effects off, cursor flickers terribly, sound stutters a TON and shuts off eventually...

My friends' computer:
    Windows 98
    600 mHz PII
    512 MB RAM
    64 MB GeForce4 graphics card
    Not sure what sound card/system/etc.

EFFECTS: NWN lags fairly badly, even in 800x600, same sound stuttering as on my computer, but no cursor flickering...

ANOTHER PROBLEM is that I cannot find updated drvers for my card because s3 merged (or something) with sonicblue, and for some reason my card is either not supported or the drivers are incredibly hard to find.

OK--If anybody could give me a link to updated drivers for Windows ME for my graphics card, IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. My soul cries out for NWN, but I need all of your help to feed its desire...

[This message has been edited by SlimShogun (edited June 24, 2002).]

13. Nefalu Gems: 1/31

I had the EXACT same problem, though I'm well above the req's (1.6 AMD T-bird, 512mb, GForce2, SBLive 5.1). Updating my vid drivers alomst fixed the problem, but updating both vid and sound drivers was what finally made it run correctly.

I see all you people saying "I'm only into chapter 2, not far at all." I just finished Ch1, it it took a almost 20 hours! Either I suck or this game is HUUGE, a lot bigger than Diablo series or Dungeon Siege.

14. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] CRAP. I don't know where to look for updated sound drivers, either. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Even without the caps, we see your posts. For updated drivers look on the motherboard makers' homepage. If you're really lucky, they might actually bother to upgrade on-board sound chips. But I doubt it. Buy a Sound Blaster. That way you'll at least know all games will work and you'll always be able to get the latest drivers.

16. Havoc013 Gems: 1/31

Slim, I think your problem is your video card. I was having problems with my computer with an S3 video card and after substantial digging, on the official site, I found a list of video that were not supported. That is, it said that you could not run the game at all with certain video cards. All S3 cards were listed.

17. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Oooooooh...dear.:(:cry:
    Here we go:
    Windows 98/ME
    800mhz Athlon
    128 RAM
    Er..I have NVidia?
    Er..soundblaster anyone?

Will NWN work on that? Because after it's delivered...i can't take it back!!:eek::(:aaa::aww:

18. Taluntain

Media:
    For the like 10th time... YES. If you meet the minimum system requirements, the game will run FINE! :rolleyes:

19. Claron Gems: 1/31

After two days of updating drivers, replacing soundcards, etc, the following was posted on the Bioware boards. I hope it helps someone.

you can disable sound in the Configuration program, and that allows you to get in the game, here is something to try (with sound enabled of course).

Before you start the game, go to the directory where you installed Neverwinter Nights and open the file nwn.ini

Look for the [Sound Options] section put this line in there (remove the 3D Provider= that is already there):

3D Provider=Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio

Then, save the file and try firing it up again.. You should of course have already updated your sound card drivers.

20. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Shit. This does not look good for my chances of playing NWN.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.