1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WTF? I dual-class Imoen into a Mage and I only get one weapon slot!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I just got Imoen up past 5th level (where I had dual classed her from Thief into a Conjuror), and now I only have one weapon slot for her!

WTF???

I had 2 slots as a Thief, 2 slots as a Conjuror, but now that the two are together, I can only equip her with a shortbow!

Worse yet, if I go to switch weapons, the game doesn't stay paused, meaning that I'm getting beat on if an enemy gets too close to her. Even with Dynaheir, I had the option to switch to a staff, so that the enemies wouldn't be getting +4 to hit me (attackers get +4 to their attacks in melee if the defenders have a missile weapon equipped).

Man, if I had known this, I think I might have reconsidered (or tried to change her into a multi-class Mage/Thief... although this probably has the same restrictions).

OK, I'm done venting.

Is there any way to change this? I waited until she was a 5th level thief for the x3 backstab bonus.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Nope. That's the way it works. This is corrected in BG2, but you're stuck with one weapon slot. The exact same thing happens if you take a multi-class M/T, so this is a restriction you would have been stuck with even if you went that route. And yes, it sucks big time.

3. Klorox

Any way to fix it?

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Short of using one of the engine conversions (which wouldn't convert your save game anyway), no.

To minimize the suck factor, you can eliminate the non-pausing inventory screen by playing in multiplayer mode. Just copy your single player save game into the multiplayer save folder and have at it.

5. Echon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

The only weapon prodiciency slots you lose are the ones you select both as thief and mage. I just did the same thing as you, made a 5th-level thief and dual-classed her to mage. As a thief, I put one slot in Small Sword, Large Sword and Missile Weapon. As a mage I chose Blunt Weapons and Bow (which the thief class allows me to select). My character ended up with a proficiency slot in five different catagories.

6. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I believe this feature is in BG2 but not in BG1, which can make ranged weapons sometimes cheesy.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To quote MIB: "Yeah...sucks."

Humans can only be dual classed, you couldn't have multiclassed her. You just need to choose whether you want her to shoot or stab -- I very rarely used her for anything other than picking pockets and casting spells, didn't really need to. After casting spells I usually had her go into pin cushion mode -- mages, even with thieving abilities, tend to get the short end in close combat.

Her back stabs weren't that great anyway (one round of backstab vs. two or three rounds of shooting arrows -- long distance killing wins :) )

8. Klorox

@ Echon: I'm not talking about proficiency slots, I'm talking about weapon slots.

As a matter of fact, Imoen has a proficiency point in every thief weapon now (although she won't fire anything but a bow from now on).

@T2Bruno: I know humans can't multi-class. But if a multi-class would have allowed two weapon slots (it doesn't, making this point moot), and I had known about it, I would have changed Imoen into a half elven thief/mage.

9. Echon Gems: 2/31

Veteran

It is the exact same thing. They are called Weapon Proficiency Slots.

10. Klorox

No. I'm talking about the weapon that is shown on the bottom of the screen when you look at all of the little buttons describing things a character can do.

For instance: Imoen has a spell button, only one weapon button, a detect traps button, a stealth button, ect.

When she was a thief, she had two weapon buttons. I had her equipped with a short sword and a bow

When she was a mage, I had two weapon buttons. She had a staff and a sling.

Now, as a Thief/Mage, she only has one button. This is what I'm bitching about. If my explanation still isn't clear, try making a mage/thief for yourself, and you'll find the character has multiple weapon proficiencies, but only one weapon "at the ready."

11. Echon Gems: 2/31

Veteran

Shoot me, please.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Unfortunately, there are so many options with the thief/mage there just aren't enough buttons to go around. As a mage you get buttons for spells and buttons for weapons -- as a thief you get buttons for thieving skills and buttons for weapons. As a mage/thief (multi or dual classed) you get shorted somewhere, and the game engine chooses...weapons! The number of weapon slots on the avatar corresponds to the number of weapon buttons you have during game play -- it would have been nice to be able to right click to change it....

13. Klorox

Echon, everyone in this thread understands what I'm trying to say except you... what's the problem here?

14. Echon Gems: 2/31

Veteran

Klorox, I realise now what you mean. That is the reason for the above post.

15. Klorox

ok

16. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

yeh i agree with Klorox it was really annoying the first time i did it aswell. The same the happens with thief/clerics, so i'm guessing all thief/magic combos have that disavantage, in BG1.

17. Dark Slayer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Just live with it, pal. It always happens like that.
    I was totally bummed the first time I realized this.
    This is probably the only bad thing I know about BG1, dual-classing consequences.

(Hey, maybe that's why the creators wrote a WARNING! in dual classing)

18. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

With a F/M/T you would have 2 slots, but cause of some bug you get also only one. But that can be fixed...

19. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In the original BG there were more classes with very few quick slots but in ToSC they attempted to give more to as many classes as possible, but it's because the thief has so many abilities. Think about it, the thief has three buttons for stealth, thieving and detect traps, then the mage has cast spell. If I remember rightly, the mage/thief doesn't even have a quickspell at all.

As an aside, why on earth would you want to equip Imoen with a melee weapon anyway? Her STR score sucks big time anyway, she shouldn't even be getting close enough to enemies to need one. Keep her as a ranged combatant and get someone to look after her, it works out much better that way.

20. Klorox

Jan, the reason you want a melee weapon is if the enemy surprises you and closes into melee. If you're using a missile weapon in melee combat, the character with the melee weapon gains a +4 to hit the missile weapon weilder.

This is discussed in my initial post.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.