1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wow, I didn't realize that was so stupidly broken....what were they thinking?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Larzs, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Larzs Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, I got a little bit of a idea I was wondering and hunching about. So I tested it out. With Heart of Winter they bumped it to a Lvl 30 Cap. Nice, cool.....great. But were the hell did they think it was a good idea to make that for each and every class. A dual classing, multi-classing and such. This makes sole classes in the long run.....SO underpowered. Sure it would take a HORRID awful amount of time and XP (22.5 Million for a triple class character), but that still gives you a Lvl 30 Fighter/Lvl 30 Mage/ Lvl 30 Cleric as a possible combo if you wanted it. Or a Lvl 29 Cleric/ Lvl 30 Fighter Human combo if desired.

Honestly.....anybody got a idea...what made them do this instead of just making it even in BG2 and make it a XP cap.....

2. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I dont think they expected anyone to bother getting, or cheating their way to, a level 30 fmt!

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Nothing is broken.
    An artificial cripplement is omitted, that's great, not horrid.
    A level cap is normal, an XPCap is artificial crippling.
    Traditional AD&D CRPG games like PoR, CotAB, SotSB, PoD, GttSF, TotSF, CoK, DKoK, DQoK all had a level cap, no XP cap.
    The main reason for crippling BG with the XPCap was imho profit, the players had to buy the expansion in order to be able to cast all the spells in the manual. The higher XPCap of TotSC (less crippling) was even a marketing feature.
    Your topic title belongs into the BG forum.

If you play a "normal" IWD game even with all expansions your party members will only have about 2,500,000 XP at the end each, far less than required for level 30.
    If you start a HoF party of 6 with a triple class mage he'll be never be able to cast level 9 spells unless you cheat, even a double class mage will have a far lower casting level than a pure one at the end (and during the game).

So an XP instead of a level cap would make a difference for cheaters (who'd only be annoyed that they had to install an XPCap remover) and powergamers with crazy solos who'd be happy about the bandwith of challenge.

4. Larzs Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This belongs in BG forums? Why? It's in IWD so how does that apply to BG....anyways.

I guess I can see that but in the long run, I think it's stupid and unbalancing. I love this game it's great and if I play it again, I'll just toss in the old character I already beat it to get the story and since XP is a set value you'll always get it.

Although I understand your point k, what I never got about 2nd Ed is why different classes had different XP values for gaining levels. You'd think that all the classes are balanced and equal, but the fact that each class takes different amounts of XP to gain a level it makes you think this is not the case. Which is why I would think a XP cap is better then a Lvl cap.

For IWD II were it's 3rd ED and it all takes the same XP for everyone to gain a certain lvl it's fine. But with different XP values for levels on classes, I say a XP cap is a more balanced option. (It wouldn't surprise me if I would eventually reach 30 in a triple class character.....I LOVE these games XD)

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

and multiclassers come out on top again!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.