1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Would you fight for your country?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gash, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] If it came to it, and it looks increasingly likely, would you go to Afghanistan to fight? Will it ever become NECESARY? How would you take it?

God Im scared

2. I really don't think it would ever come to that. They did it in WW2 cos they were desperate at some point, now though we have the upper hand. However, if it did come to that i think most people sign up without thinking and regret it later :(

[This message has been edited by The Illustrious Hunter (edited September 19, 2001).]

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] No I'll join Afghanistan forces... :rolleyes:

Of course I'll defend my country if it gets attacked. But me attacking someone? Cut it out.

Scared? Of what? Don't be ridiculous. If nukes drop, there won't be enough time to be scared. If they don't drop, you've wasted time. So, get some life!

4. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] lol! Extremist really touches your heart, doesn't he?
    (If nukes drop, there won't be enough time to be scared.) :lol:
    Now, to the topic.
    What do you mean by fighting for your country, and then talk about Afghanistan?? I would fight for Sweden, but I'd not fight for some shitty country somewhere else...
    Sweden rox! :rolling:

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited September 19, 2001).]

5. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Fact: Did you know that the swedish army is actually the most well equipped and best trained in the world by a very long way?
    It is said that one normal infantry swedish soldier has nearly all the skills of a Navy Seal....(Royal marins is a different matter entirely however. hehehehe)
    How ironic it is then that they are in fact neutral...ish lol!

I would defend my country to the death. but i don't think neither the swedish nor i need worry of that. Our armies kick arse! (quality not quantity)

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

depends on the enemy. If it was an enemy which I wouldn't like to be sitting on the power, I assume I would. But to the death, I don't know. I don't see any glory in death.

But I sure wouldn't go to afghanistan to get killed

7. I'm beginning to believe this topic is for men only... Of course, if I *was* a man, I wouldn't fight for Afghanistan. I would fight for CANADA because it couldn't win a war if their lives depended on it.

[This message has been edited by Shadow_Goddess (edited September 20, 2001).]

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course I would ... I did my year of military service and if my country was attacked I would defend it against every attacker.
    It is another thing with afganistan: It hasn't attacked anyone. The afgans are not the Taliban and even the insane unislamic (most of them are iliterate, the wouldn't be able to read a koran would they get one, they just repeat what their mullahs tell them and where they learned about islam ... :rolleyes: ) Taliban aren't the new york bombers ... and I would not attack afganistan as a volunteer.

The US made a stupid mistake by firing cruise missiles on afganistan in retaliation for the embassy bombings a few years ago. Till that point the afgans had sympathy for america. For the price of the missiles they would have easily been able to buy Mr. Bin Laden from the Taliban ... now they have to get him the hard way, really brilliant :flaming:

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] No I would just sit and wait till it was concured... Doh. Yes of course I would defend my country if ordered. But I am/was a medical soldier so I wouldn't be in much combat. I doubt that I could kill another person so it suits me fine.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] If you have been reading my posts lately, then you pretty much know my answer. I would fight for the USA and all that we hold dear. Anytime, any place.

This is what it's all about:

"We the PEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

And the last line of the Declaration of Independence: "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

This is why we will never be conquered, cowed, or bullied into submission. This is why we Americans are the way we are.

11. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i wouldnt join the army

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sing it Bel! Oh, sorry, I had a flashback to a Schoolhouse Rock episode when I read that Constitution quote... :grin:

13. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm already an Army reservist so I'm dreading the telephone right now. Sweet God, I don't want to go to Afghanistan. I'd be proud to die for my country's freedom but being captured by an enemy that treats women as less than dogs is my worst nightmare.

14. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

that stinks for you i hope you dont have to go i dont think the reserves will go in though we have plenty to wipe out the talaban with our allies and all

15. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Given the chance I would do it without even thinking about it. Simply because it is our duty to preserve all that we have been working to build up for so many years and I wouldn't like to see it all blow to pieces.....:grr:

16. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i wouldnt go to attack another country, especially not afhanistan.
    but if someone enters my country, i would defend

17. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I wonted to second something that Sir Bel said.

We do not have any of those lines in our constitution, but NUMEROUS attacks of different invaders on Russia, or USSR, or whatever you call it, FAILED.

The patriotism and the will for freedom is very strong, and anyone here would die for it.

During WWII 1/4 population of Belarus has been exterminated, and nearly half of male population was part of guerilla forces, that fought the Germans. My own city, Minsk, has been awarded the status of "City-Hero" because of its underground movement, that was the biggest and best organized on the whole occupied territory.

Yes, I would fight for my country.

18. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Bleh. Why bother. Good old mother Norway's strategy in case of an attack is to hold off the attacking force for 24 hours. That's when the rest of NATO gets here. :p

19. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

Yes I would! :almostmad:

I come from the Philippines, a country colonized by Spain, the United States (yes, the US had a colony, it was during McKinley's dream of "Benevolent Assimilation", something the American intellectuals at that time, notably Mark Twain, were against)and occupied by the Japanese during the War. All that time we have struggled for independence, both through arms and peaceful means.

Most Filipinos jokingly say that we spent 400 years in a convent (Spain, 1400's to 1898), 40 years in Hollywood (the US, 1898 to 1942), and three years in a sushi bar (Japanese occupation, 1942 to 1945).

One of our greatest sayings throughout all this that has reverberated through the decades is this (traslated):

"If I am to die and my blood is spilled for the motherland, then at the very least, my blood will enrich its sacred soil for a richer harvest for my children and their freedom".

I would defend my country. DEFEND. After all those history classes, I have a certain empathy for those dealing with FOREIGN SOLDIERS (not visitors, not tourists, not guests, but SOLDIERS)on their homeland.

Take note: I'm not condemning any military action NATO might propose. After all, I believe that they are defending their way of life, so with the Afghans if they believe their sovereignty threatened. Remember, the Taliban is NOT Afghanistan. Read my post on "the Afghan point of view...". I believe most of it is there. :)

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited September 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited September 20, 2001).]

20. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The hell I would.
    I despise my country so much that I would be the first to desert or betray my country the moment war breaks out. I would have no qualms about shooting my platoon mates in the back so they can not punish me for desertion.
    This comes from a full-time soldier of Singapore.
    Fuck Singapore!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.