1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worth giving time?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by spetznaz, Mar 20, 2004.

1. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I just got IWD2, since I almost only play RPGs and want something new. I've played through BG2 numerous times, so why not try IWD2? Started up, created a full party (are there NPCs in this game?) and what do I get? A city under siege by goblins! Oh my :eek: . Well, after 1 hour of improving my skills as a messenger, I finally got out of that *horrible* first impression of the game. Now I'm facing orcs, though I don't even feel like playing....is it really worth going through, or is it just behind-kicking all the game through? Can't say it made a good first time impression on me. :(

2. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hm, I liked the goblin-besieged part. It's just butt-kicking all the way through, so you probably won't like it. Have you played Knights of the Old Republic? That's a good story-driven RPG. Or Planescape: Torment, of course, but I'm assuming you've played that.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let's stick to IWD2, shall we.

IWD2 is certainly worth playing through. I'm not really sure what your complaint here is... that IWD2 has too much running around? Truly, not even remotely as much as BG2, apart from that initial chapter, and even there you have a bunch of sidequests you can do in the process.

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think he meant in the sense that it's just one fight after another with nothing in the way of storyline. If so, then it stays that way right to the bitter end of the game. Worth playing if you're into hack 'n' slash games but don't expect the depth of BG.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The best thing for me about IWD2 is the seemingly infinite flexibility you have in configuring your party using the 3e rules. Hence all the threads on this board about various themed and unusual parties. I like IWD2 and have spent many many many hours playing it. Probably more than any other game except one.

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I like flexibility with players. Like the ability to play with a drow, grey dwarf whatever.

But I do miss the character development of BG2.

7. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Hum, lets see. At first, it was just running up and down in Targos (ie when you are to get lumber for the pallisade, you run up and down about three times like an errandboy), and then with the orcs it was just hacking your way through. Since I'm a huge BG2-fan, I found it a bit pointless. Nevertheless, I'm almost done with the prolouge, and I guess I'll give it a try. I'm sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was: is the game running errands, choppin' some orcs, running errands, hunting down a few more, etc., or is it just like that in the beginning?

Also, is the Rouge really worth a character slot? I got a Barbarian, Paladin, Cleric, Wizard and Sorcerer + a Rouge, and he doesn't really do anything, not that many locks or traps as in BG2?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1) The Fed-ex quests are really only in Targos. There isn't as much of the back-and-forth stuff in the rest. But overall, it is more linear than BG. Your decisions are not so much 'where do I go now?' as 'what shall I do now that I am here?'

2) A Rogue (not Rouge, which is a colour) is not essential in IWD2, but then again, neither is any other class - as many people have proven that it is possible to complete the game Solo using any character class (although the Bard is pushing it a bit). This is another illustration of the flexibility of the game - finding the strategy for getting through each stage that works for your specific party. The Rogue makes life a bit easier and can have some powerful fun with back-stabbing if that's what you like.

9. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Oh, sorry, I wrote too fast, my spelling goes to **ll then ;)

Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a try. :)

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

After Targos, the game features portions where you sneak through temples and bases, and there are a few large outdoor environments to go through. The battles consist of mass melees with a bunch of nameless orcs and stuff, although later you face harder guys. Overall, this game is pretty fun, especially compared to IWD1.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Icewind Dale series is a hack & slash one and there's not much of other interaction that fighting. There truly are many dialogue options for different classes, races, skills and stats (but not the number of characters :mad: :rolleyes: ) and it may happen that certain parts of the game are greatly facilitated by a specific development of characters. However, it's not like you couldn't finish the game without those skills or stats. The game wouldn't sell then :rolleyes: Or everyone would have the same character build :D

Well, and you also have the flexibility of 3E builds. It's a bit overrated and not necessarily much more interesting than the 2E system of nearly just simple levelling up, but some doors have been opened that were shut. I'm speaking about the multitude of multiclassing combinations, most of all. Many ways of building an interesting character, or a powerful one, or both in one. I think it's more realistic compared to the oh-so-single-classed 2E characters.

In fact, I play IWD2 chiefly for the fun of building a nice character. The adventure isn't bad and everything is magnificent technically, but not as involving as the IWD1 one.

12. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

I'm not familiar with 3E rules, since I don't play D&D, but other P&P games using about the same system. Anyway, how does the multi-class work in 3E? Do you have to break your old class (like in BG2) to gain access to both, or is it just to multiclass freely or...?

13. Harbourboy

There are several other threads here that discuss IWD2 multi-classing in more depth than we should cover in this topic, but the basic answer to your question is, no, you don't have to 'break' your current class to multi-class. But there are a host of other options and restrictions that make for interesting characeter design.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Spetznaz

I know what you mean; bought ID2 exactly of the same reason. Should have listened the warnings a bit more closely, since thus far the whole game has been just hack'n'slash, only a step above Dungeon Siege. :nolike:

Should probably try to finish this game -after I have finished FF7 :p

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I dont know if it can be called a Roleplaying game. There arent many dialogues (though those are good), and the point is the same at most times. Get the mission to single handedly carve a passage through throngs of hostile forces for an army to cross. ;)

I didnt like it that much until chapter 4. But now it's become pretty fun, with characters that i've created purely for fun and not powerplaying. It's quite challenging too (though i dont know what difficulty i have, but i dont care, its fine as it is).
    I agree, IWD2 is more of a playground for building interesting characters, than a roleplaying world.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Challenging, because the scripts are so bloody stupid that they don't give much place for tactics -like using summons as meatwall. :rolleyes:

17. Thayvian Bastard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

When I first got Icewind Dale 2 I'll be honest, I played to near the end of chapter one and just lost intrest. The story just seemed bland and not all that appealing. I just recently sat myself down and refused to waste 50 dollars by not beating it. I found that the game really does pick up if you can sit through the first two chapters and the prologue. I'm not considering going through the game with a all halfling party or trying to cut the number down to four. But yes, roleplaying is very far and few in between. Don't let it deter you from playing this game though, it was worth the money. Just bare with it! :D

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Haven't played it for a month, after buying it (only 20€ ;) ), I managed to get to the end of chapter 2 before losing my interest. Hopefully I can pick it up again soon... or at least when Icewind Gate 2 comes :D

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I found IWD2 to be a totally different sort of challenge. BG2 has a very strong roleplay element, which is great, but the IWD series is all about powergaming. First time through will be tough, but the real fun is the second time through. This is because I played it on HOF mode. It changes the entire scope of the game, and probably gave me one of the hardest games I've ever completed. I'd certainly recommend giving it a go to anyone who hasn't tried it, and the first time through on normal will give you a little taste of what you're in for.

20. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't get all the folks in this thread(and others) who say they don't like the game, got tired of it quickly, last played it three months ago and will never play it again, etc. If you really aren't interested in it, why in the world are you hanging around this forum?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.