1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst NWN review - EVER!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by HELLO.JPG, Jul 24, 2002.

1. HELLO.JPG Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

That guy doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. He wouldn't like any true CRPG, and there's a lot of quotes in the review that you cannot take seriously.

3. HELLO.JPG Gems: 1/31

I emailed him telling him his review was all wrong and he said that I was wrong :rolleyes:

Can you or somebody else knock some sense into him? :mad:

4. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Heh that guy is not someone you should take seriously. There are so many mistakes/ignorant things in that article that makes me believe he just wrote it on purpose. Because the other option would be that he is an uber-idiot :p
    Anyway I mean look at the adress.. "something awful" lol

5. SKaRT Gems: 1/31

OMG @ that review. I've sent like a 3 page long essay to him explaining how he has no idea what he is talking about. I quoted virtually every line he wrote saying something that was wrong in it. The webpage speaks for itself really...

6. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] That site states that it is an "satire / comedy site". Which to me implies that you shouldn't take anything serious there.

Try looking at this one for example.

7. Syrel Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] that guy must be smokeing crack or something :p
    saying the game isn't like the movie Dungeons and Dragons LOL that movie isn't anything like the game it's sad they even called it that...
    but saying things like you can't avoid traps unless you hack your char ROFLMAO maybe he should have hired TOMI if he was to stupid to figure that out this game is obviously beyond his inteligence and he should stick to the games that require no inteligance what so ever so all you do is point and click. Diablo II is a great game but really it's not an RPG and shouldn't even be compared with neverwinter.
    however i think that this website just trashes everthing cause they have no life and no other way to express themselves :p

[This message has been edited by Syrel (edited July 24, 2002).]

8. HELLO.JPG Gems: 1/31

I say we all write him letters telling him how crappy his site is!

That review really is "Something Awful" :hahaerr:

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    [​IMG] Developed by Atari and Wizards of the coast

Now I get it. He's not talking about the great NWN Bioware has made, he's talkin' 'bout some crappy NWN-wannabe he found on the net. :shake:

[This message has been edited by Uytuun (edited July 24, 2002).]

10. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

lol! Pure ignorant stupidity. They can't be serious.

This one kills me.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited July 24, 2002).]

11. Tesserus Gems: 1/31

This review made me fall out of my chair laughing even if it was a satire.

[This message has been edited by Tesserus (edited July 24, 2002).]

12. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Something Awful website runs a series of such bogus reviews for comedy value and to see what sort of reaction they can get. Any of the responses that are equally stupid generally get posted and mocked in the associated forum.

A friend of mine is a member of the SA site and sometimes sends me particularly amusing ones.

13. GreyLens Gems: 1/31

Here's a better review...

First some facts:

Originally slated as another in the BG series, that idea proved inefficient and the shift added development time.

The multiplayer/DM portion is the only interesting aspect (this however, was already accomplished in 2000 by Nihilistic Softwares game Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption)

If you are unfamiliar with 3rd edition rules you are not going to understand the majority of how the skills/feats etc. work. The manual is sorely lacking in detail in this area providing little more than an overview and some charts (having been an AD&D player since the late '70s I find it much more confusing than I anticipated).

The graphics are a bit out dated simply because it's been in development 4-5 years.

Sound issues still persist as they did in BG due in part to the age of the sound system. This still causes random lockups.

The music is great! The Sound effects are better than BG/BGII/ToB. The voice acting however leaves a bit to be desired, BGII/ToB had better (Is it me or does the voice change on the opening narration?)

Opinion:

Single player mode is pretty much a joke and it seems obvious that after deciding to take it out of the BG series, SP mode was revamped and focus was applied to MP/DM. Running the SP adventure by yourself is an exercise in futility and trying to keep a henchman alive can be just as frustrating. The lack of control over your henchman means if you are a fighter type there will be no buffing before battles (except for potions), wasted spell casting (like that mighty spell, thrown on a near death opponent), no combat positioning... Poor AI means certain death for them (and you) fairly regulary. It's great that your henchman has a mind of his/her own, however, I'm beside myself that they are so stupid. If you tell them to use ranged weapons they will and they will run right up to a bunch of baddies with their bow forcing you to try and stop them by issuing a "stand your ground" command which means they won't help in the fight any more. To bad you can't issue a simple change weapon or cast spell command, noooo... to have them change to a melee weapons you'd have to talk to them which you can't do during combat without stopping your own attack. I found that many times after a battle I would try to heal myself with a potion (since my bow weilding henchman used all her healing on herself in the last 3 seconds of combat) only to find her running off after another opponent meandering about in the distance!

And the pathfinding is horrid!! Many times I found my bow weilding companion in hand-to-bow combat right in front of me and clicking on the baddie gives me a "target out of reach" message. *sigh* Ok, I'll make my character take 2 steps to the side so I can attack... sheesh.
    You'd think by now they could have gotten rid of the tired old "box/barrel/crate/chest with a gold piece or gem in it around every corner" how about we just have the plot character start us off with a couple hundred gold pieces and leave the treasure where it belongs. Come on, gems, coins and potions laying around in the slums? Why haven't the beggars picked them all clean!?!

Hold on! I need to rest... Inn? What for, I'll just sit down right here for 24 hours. huh?

NWN seems to lack the feeling of a big wide world out there compared to BG. No big area map showing you how far away the next city or point of interest is. It seems like the next place to go out side the city is only a short walk away.

And lastly, you'd think that after 4-5 years in development there wouldn't need to be a couple patches in the first 2 weeks and things would be a bit more complete. Like the tools for instance.

Ah well, I hope I can find a decent DM out there somewhere or this $50 was pretty much wasted.

14. void Guest

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

STUPID IGnORAN T FOOLS!!!

CAN"T TAKE IT

:wail: :wail:

15. GreyLens Gems: 1/31

"AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

STUPID IGnORAN T FOOLS!!!

CAN"T TAKE IT"

That's exactly what I screamed after the zillionth time my cleric with a crossbow ran up into the fray!

16. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Odd, that never happens to me unless I run out of ammo. I don't have Linu use her crossbow, but I know Sharwyn didn't charge into melee wielding her bow. There is a problem that she doesn't switch if the melee comes to her, but that's a different issue.

The barrel issue isn't that big a deal. Sure, it *should* be like Morrowind, where the barrels contain endless supplies of plates, clothes, and other other knicknacks that you then sell for 3gp at the pawnshop. Or maybe like BG2, where there were thousands of barrels around, but 95% of them were empty. That's even better!

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

18. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

That review only focuses on the single player game. Can't really trust it since it left the Toolset, DM client, and Multiplayer out of the picture.

19. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I want to say something, please excuse the swearing.

F***** SON OF A B****!!

That's better.

[Now go read the forum rules about no swearing being allowed.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited July 25, 2002).]

20. HELLO.JPG Gems: 1/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.