1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst.NPC.Ever

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by lokibeat, Dec 5, 2006.

1. lokibeat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

From the sounds of it, it seems like everyone has their favorite NPC's they like to use for their different run-throughs.

How about what NPC's would you never use? It strikes me everyone debates Minsc, Imoen, Khalid etc but what about folks who don't even seem to merit debate?

Well, what NPC's do y'all think are a waste of disk space and story line?

I totally forgot about Tiax until I ran into him. Same goes for Quayle (I've only just gotten to Chapter 5 in my first time re-playing the game after about 5 years of non-gaming.)

Does anyone use Skie/Eldoth?

Mods: If this is addressed elsewhere, feel free to delete...

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

All hail Tiax! - the most lovably useless cleric in BG.

3. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I find Quayle pretty useless. I never use Eldoth either. Skie is pretty good but you get her so late in the game that it is only worth having her if you CLUAConsole: her into the game. I can bet Garrick is going to show up on here a few times, but I love that bard :p he's quite useful.

4. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I hate Skie with a passion. Imoen has more skill, and of course has a better storyline. Skie's voice especially drives me crazy.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Viconia

Yeah, I said it.

She's only there for the T&A factor. 'Nuff said.

6. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Anyone who hates Minsc, I see to be an infidel. After multiple times through, I've never actually played with Skie, however.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Quayle, Eldoth, Skie....those are the crappy ones in BG1 In my opinion. And Khalid, can`t stand him.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Every goody-goody NPC I can't stand.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

9. hahahaguy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Garrick,which i always regret having him.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You don't know now, but the results of this topic will help me really, I will decide to stay away from the crappiest NPC you guys selected for my very first walkthrough!

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Faldorn. If I want a druid, I generally just opt for Jaheira.

12. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Am I truly only player who loves Skie? Everybody's bashing her. I always get her asap and then I let basilisk create really authentic looking Eldoth statue.

I'm currently playing BG2 solo as her... yeah... I know. I should get help& real life or something...

13. Morthond Gems: 3/31

Media:
    I've been playing BG for 5 years but amazingly there's still NPCs I've refused to take. However, I wavered that rule a little this time:

Garrick - never considered him before, but took him this time and found him fairly decent. He was the only crossbow user and his mage spells came in useful at certain times, but to be honest he was replaceable, I just dumped him for...
    Yeslick - he's awesome. Especially with Sword Coast Strategems allowing him to use axes.
    Faldorn - replaced Indira (TuTu NPC) with Faldorn, and to be honest, the druid scares me a bit. Unfortunately she's the only (shadow) druid there is so...been playing with her a little (still in Cloakwood Mines) and she's significantly worse as a back-up fighter due to her stats and armour restrictions but her druid spells make up for it (divine remix)
    Eldoth - never tried.
    Skie - never tried.
    Alora - never tried.
    Tiax - never tried.
    Quayle - never tried.
    Shar-teel - never tried.
    Khalid - never taken him for longer than 30 minutes.
    Jaheira - unfortunately never really taken her either due to Khalid. This may change with Sword Coast Strategems mod.

NPCs I would never take unless I was crazy or bored or...whatever:
    Only Tiax, Quayle and probably Eldoth. That's it really, I find the other NPCs to be pretty well done (and far less annoying)

14. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Worst NPC:

Minsc: very annoying and weak

I didn't like Edwin, Dynaheir, Eldoth and Viconia either.

Unlike others I consider Garrick as quite useful and fun, Quayle and Tiax are very powerful.

15. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

/looks at minsc STR value
    /reads kmonster's post again
    /looks at minsc STR value again

In which way is the strongest NPC in the game weak? Is it because of his DEX affecting his average AC? That can be easily changed with some magical gauntlets...

I never found much use for Faldorn, Eldoth or Skie. Tiax, at least, is fun to be with.

16. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    @kmonster, what? :eek: Minsc is the strongest fighter in the whole game! Probably even the best written NPC in the whole saga! He's got Boo!

Khalid, Faldorn & Eldoth suck.

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've always considered Garric, Quayle, and Eldoth useless. Quayle you just get too late. I don't really like Shar-Teel either...mainly because she talks crap on me the entire game lol.

18. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@Colthrun and Trellheim:

Every character can get 18/00 strength via strength spells for a very long time.
    There are others (like Jaheira) who need the gaunlets of dexterity as well.
    Minsc doesn't even have bow profiency at the start and won't be able to specialize before most of the game is over, his kill percentage won't be very high.
    He's pathetic compared to any other warrior.
    And he is annoying.

Faldorn looks really scary but she's actually quite useful.

19. Tiana Gems: 3/31

About Minsc: He's cute, not annoying. I love Boo. In addition, his storyline is really good and he comes with a very proficient mage (Dynaheir).

With the Gauntlets of Dexterity, he has better armor, strength, and hitpoints than Jaheria. And unlike the other fighters of the game, he is a powerhouse with the flexibility of a ranger.

Also, he is not short like Monty. :p

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Skie and Eldoth are fun to have IF (and only if) Garrick is also in the party. The love triangle is fun :) Although as far as usefulness goes they're all rather worthless.

Tiax is hysterical, but useless considering how late you get him. Shame.

Xan is my favourite NPC, but his spell selection is almost totally useless. I still take him along sometimes just for the hell of it. His banter with Eldoth is great fun!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.