1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst Movie Re-makes

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Cúchulainn, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Why do movies need to be remade - why do people think foreign movies are crap unless they are remade and dumbed down? Why are black and white movies boring but not so when they are remade in colour?

My top 5 in no particular order

1. Psycho
    2. The Ring -
    3. Get Carter - Stallone should stick to crap actions movies
    4. Vinalla Sky - 'Open your Eyes' was far superior
    5. The Vanishing - lost all of its suspense from the Dutch original

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There are people who just don't watch movie with subtitle no matter how go the movie is. And there are those who just out right don't like black and white. Stubborn as they are, it is the destiny of a good filmmake to speard good films, thus you have remake. Like the Iranian film about a pair of shoes and a pair of siblings (forget its name), excellent story but too foreign for Singaporeans. So this director (who usually make comedy) used the same story and remake it with Singaporean flavor. It was a success. The little actress (9,10 years old) even won best new comer award of golden horse award (film award for chinese films). My friends who don't watch foreign films at all finally get to know this story. i don't watch it cause i don't want to destroy my good impression i had from the Iranian film but still i felt content that atleast my friends knew the touching story.

You must know about this band called Cranberries, yes? The same thing in music industry. Chinese speaking people don't usually listen to english music especially Cranberries, at that time considered alternative. So this hong kong singer, Faye Wong used Cranberries' music with chinese or cantonese lyrics and made them into new songs that was spread throughout china, hongkong, taiwan, malaysia, singapore, thailand ... Faye was famous in the process and so was Cranberries. And how do you think people at the other end of globe started to know Cranberries?

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Well I did not like foreign movies when I was younger until I seen watched the Japanese movie 'Yojimbo' and discovered that 'Fistfull of Dollars' was a remake - this was a good remake as it used the same story in a different setting plus the director gave credit to the original.

The Ring on the other hand was slightly different and lost the darkenss (even movies such as Gothika steal from the original Ring). The director did not give credit to the original director - he just taken credit for the original story!

If Faye Wong addes her own culture to the Cranberries music then great but if its just Cantonese lyrics then I do not see the point in it.

This is just my opinion and if anyone wants to just watch remakes etc then thats fine by me.

4. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I must say I kinda liked the remake of The Ring. Samara was way more scarieer then Sadako was.

Psycho sucked big time indeed!

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I think its time for Hollywood to move aside. Asia and Europe are producing the best movies these days.

6. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

I must say, the only thing I enjoyed about watching The Ring compared to the original Ring was watching Naomi Watts. I enjoyed the original far more.

Are we counting movies that are blatant rip-offs as remakes? I mean examples such as Shinichin no Samurai vs The Magnificent Seven or the original Zatoichi films vs Blind Fury?

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Well I think even if they are vaguely similar it can be considered a rip-off. Did you like the new version of Zatoichi featuring Takishi Kitano?

Regarding the Ring I did'nt think that Naomi was very convincing as a mother and her child was doing his '6th Sense impression' if you know what I mean.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Vanilla Sky was awesome imo. :)

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

At least the remake of Vanilla Sky was pretty hot. :yum:

10. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I saw the original 'Nikita'. And it was so much better than the us. version.... I don't think I've EVER seen a remake that beat the original :)

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I don't exactly know if Van Hellsing can be considered a remake of Hellsing... But as a fan of the latter the only good things I liked about VH were the totally hilarious bits - like the monk :)
    Otherwise... Practically an insult to Kota Hirano.

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

I've not seen any of the first three films i mentioned in the second part of my last post but I've seen Blind Fury and enjoyed it a lot. But then I usually tend to enjoy anything that Rutger Hauer appears in. I don't actually know if my local cinema will even be screening Takeshi Kitano's 'Zatoichi'.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

While this is a personal opinion, I'd have to disagree as a matter of my own personal opinion :p Not too many are coming to mind right now but off the top of my head I'd have to say that the recent Ocean's 11 was better than the original with the Rat Pack in it :)

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The worst think about Ireland is that Foreign movies hardly make the big screen unless the Americans re-make it of course!

I go to a small university cinema for my non-hollywood movie fix.

I read that they are going to re-make the excellent West World!

15. nior Gems: 24/31

The Fugitive, now this is a bit confusing when it comes to remake.

The original was a TV series, then Harrison Ford did the big screen adaptation of it 1993... which was really good. Then Tim Daly did a remake of the movie and the TV series. Daly's movie remake was a far cry from that of Ford's. As for the TV series, although I haven't seen either version, it seems that Daly's version was also quite good.

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I heard that 'The Hills have Eyes' is going to be remade. I have not seen the original yet. Do you think that contriversial parts will be left out of the new one?

The remake of Dawn of the Dead was missing the political message.

17. Lantus Gems: 11/31

I think the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was good compared to the oldie! Love that gore!

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I liked the TCM remake but they had to do what hollywood does best - have a cast of annoying teens that deserve to die. I am not sure about other people here but I prefere horror movies where you don't want the victims to die. It makes it more 'evil'.

Its scarier to see a sweet old granny get stabbed to death than some annoying blond valley girl with an annoying accent.

19. Lantus Gems: 11/31

Agreed!!! :)

20. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Dial M for murder remade with Gwynnie. All bad compared with the original - Hollywood should leave Hitchcock alone!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.